D&D 5E Midnight: Legacy of Darkness announced at GenCon Online

After more than a decade out of print, the "what if Sauron won" 3E setting Midnight is coming back in 2021 for 5E as Midnight: Legacy of Darkness, Edge Entertainment announced Thursday, July 30, at GenCon Online: In its heyday, Midnight was one of the biggest RPG successes in Fantasy Flight's history. The setting went through two editions and was published from 2003 through 2009. Earlier...

After more than a decade out of print, the "what if Sauron won" 3E setting Midnight is coming back in 2021 for 5E as Midnight: Legacy of Darkness, Edge Entertainment announced Thursday, July 30, at GenCon Online:

In its heyday, Midnight was one of the biggest RPG successes in Fantasy Flight's history. The setting went through two editions and was published from 2003 through 2009.

Earlier this year, Fantasy Flight Games announced they were getting out of the RPG business and their games were going to be handled by Edge Entertainment, which is at least partially staffed by former FFG designers.

I was able to pick up the 1st and 2nd editions of the campaign settings off ebay for really cheap. Can anyone who is familiar with the 2 books give me an opinion on which one to read, what's different? I'm assuming the 2nd edition contains what's in the 1st edition but with additions? Is there any real difference between the two books besides maybe minor tweaks to accommodate the transition from 3.0 to 3.5? I'll probably eventually read them both but I want to make characters with my players so I need to do some preparation to make PCs for the setting in the immediate future.
As you already said, the main difference between those two books is the mechanical changes from 3.0 to 3.5, but the second edition also adds some material that was published in the accessory Against the Shadow, also from the 3.0 era. I'd recommend you read the second edition book as the most comprehensive of the two.

R_J_K75

Legend
As you already said, the main difference between those two books is the mechanical changes from 3.0 to 3.5, but the second edition also adds some material that was published in the accessory Against the Shadow, also from the 3.0 era. I'd recommend you read the second edition book as the most comprehensive of the two.
Great thanks. Thats what I suspected. I read the overview chapter and found some pre-gen characters online to start a campaign, I didnt want to take the time to create PCs before seeing how the group was going to gel and gage the interest level. Things seem to be going pretty good so Im going to do some conversions for 5E so players can make their own characters.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm guessing the answer will be "no idea," but does anyone know if this will be a pretty straightforward adaptation to 5E with new art and formatting, or will it alter the setting in some way?

R_J_K75

Legend
I'm guessing the answer will be "no idea," but does anyone know if this will be a pretty straightforward adaptation to 5E with new art and formatting, or will it alter the setting in some way?
Dont think theres was any more information than the announcement of the 5E setting sometime in 2021.

R_J_K75

Legend
Does anyone know if there is a map for the village of Swift Water Haven and if so what product its in? I looked online but couldn't find anything.

R_J_K75

Legend
Can't say I do. At least I didn't find any in a cursory search of my books. Maybe tou should ask over at the Againsttheshadow.org forums.
Thanks. I'll check it out. I'll just make one up if need be. Any idea what product this map is from?

Attachments

• Midnight-Mirror_Nexus.gif
    Midnight-Mirror_Nexus.gif
    819.8 KB · Views: 202

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
Looks like a fan took the fold-out poster map from the Fury of Shadow boxed set and added nexus and black mirror sites (which are not on the map in the original product).

Remove ads

Remove ads