D&D (2024) Mike Mearls “…it’s now obvious how to live without Bonus Actions”' And 6th Edition When Players Ask

With all due respect to Mike Mearls, he is wrong. The action economy in 5th Edition is beautifully designed, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

With all due respect to Mike Mearls, he is wrong. The action economy in 5th Edition is beautifully designed, and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
218 contradicting posts later it seems like it' not that obvious after all! ;)

Doesn't convince me yet because we're gamers, we can argue about almost anything. :) if Mike Mearls wants to draft up an idea of what this would look like wit a little more detail I'm certainly open, but call me leery of way too many unintended powergaming consequences in the implementation. I can live with not being able to counter-counter, or not shank and sing for one round, if it means curbing other abuses from earler d20 efforts.

SigmaOne

First Post
The only problem I have with bonus actions is the name. They should have been called "fast actions".

And I don't think anyone is seriously talking about another edition. People ask the designers about it on occasion; that's all.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Doesn't convince me yet because we're gamers, we can argue about almost anything. :) if Mike Mearls wants to draft up an idea of what this would look like wit a little more detail I'm certainly open, but call me leery of way too many unintended powergaming consequences in the implementation. I can live with not being able to counter-counter, or not shank and sing for one round, if it means curbing other abuses from earler d20 efforts.
Care to hazard a guess what he is thinking of then ;)

DM Howard

Explorer
Well, I DM a 5th Edition game, but all this debate on action economy reminds me why I prefer B/X and AD&D; let's roleplay, not roll-play.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Well, I DM a 5th Edition game, but all this debate on action economy reminds me why I prefer B/X and AD&D; let's roleplay, not roll-play.

Action economy discussions are just the latest iteration of weapon speed factors, spell casting segments and "but I can do more than that in sixty seconds!" debates of AD&D. Please, with the "role-play" vs "roll-play" moralizing.

lkj

Hero

I think you've probably nailed why this might not show up as a UA. It would require a fairly major revamp of the whole system, to make sure everything still works together properly. With a lot of playtesting. It's not just an alternate subsystem. It's why, I think, Mearls mentions it only in the context of a new edition. Which he clearly states is not something that will happen anytime soon.

I also agree with him that it's not a big enough issue, in and of itself, to warrant the effort. Something to try if they ever revamp the system.

AD

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
There was a time when UA was not just playtesting things that might come in later books, but also variants, or even suggestions for houserules and homebrew. In the UA on modifying Classes the spellless Ranger was just an example of how a homebrewer could remove a feature from a class and replace it with a feature from another class.

So I wouldn't say it's entirely outside the realm of possibility to see Mearls' idea in UA. I'd personally like to see it even if it's not in UA.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Care to hazard a guess what he is thinking of then ;)

Nope, 'cause I'm a fan of Bonus/Action+Moving! :) if someone can show me a better way for d20, all good, but At first blush I see more drawbacks than benefits.

Tell that to 12 year old me, trying to figure out Surprise Rounds, Weapon Speed Factors, and conversions between yards and feet all because you've got four walls around you versus not having 'em. :)

Basic/Expert D&D, I'll give you -- I run that at conventions the way some people teach Checkers or Poker - any time, any where, no rule books needed. Character death? Take these six pages of quick start rules with character levels 1-4 on them, pick a class, copy down these dozen things, and get back in there! :)

DM Howard

Explorer
Action economy discussions are just the latest iteration of weapon speed factors, spell casting segments and "but I can do more than that in sixty seconds!" debates of AD&D. Please, with the "role-play" vs "roll-play" moralizing.

I agree, I was feeling a little snarky, I apologize! 5E is actually my favorite edition by far! :)

Tell that to 12 year old me, trying to figure out Surprise Rounds, Weapon Speed Factors, and conversions between yards and feet all because you've got four walls around you versus not having 'em. :)

Basic/Expert D&D, I'll give you -- I run that at conventions the way some people teach Checkers or Poker - any time, any where, no rule books needed. Character death? Take these six pages of quick start rules with character levels 1-4 on them, pick a class, copy down these dozen things, and get back in there! :)

Oh definately! I agree, I think if any versions of D&D get close to reaching that level of simplicity would certainly be B/X. BECMI flings a little too much extra stuff in the way to confuse things.

Remove ads

Remove ads