• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls Discusses the First Round of Public D&D Next Playtests

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Was a "modified 4e skeleton" was the point, not if you see any bits of edition X in the playtest. Stormonu has said what he thinks.

You jumping in to this, so now answer, what do you think?
Do you think the playtest is a "modified 4e skeleton" ?

So far, I do not think the playtest is a "modified 4e skeleton."

When I read your post, I did not get the sense that you were asking only about the skeleton statement; you asked whether we saw 4e influences. You also said, "Any other <acronym title="D&D 4th Edition">4e</acronym> players can jump in," so I did, providing my own list of influences, which is what I thought (at that time) you were asking for.

As far as a "skeleton" is concerned, the fundamental approach within the playtest rules seems to be one of "Rulings, not Rules" -- which looks more like an old-school tendency to me rather than 3E or 4E.

[I do have a copy of the Moldvay Basic rules set (purchased on eBay because I thought it looked neat), but I haven't read it yet. If I come to a different conclusion after reading it, I'll try to find this post and edit it to include that different conclusion, whatever it might turn out to be.]

Remove ads