D&D 5E Mike Mearls interview - states that they may be getting off of the 2 AP/year train.

Irda Ranger

First Post
The nice thing about the big campaigns they've been putting out so far is that they're structured in such a way as to be easy to pull apart. I used bits and pieces from PotA and OotA (and a few other adventures) in a homebrew campaign with little trouble.

So even if you don't like the stories attached to them, the big hardbacks can be valuable resources full of stocked dungeons and other adventure sites that are easy to cut and paste into your own campaign. I'm fairly certain they've done this on purpose, too.

This is incredibly inefficient. I pay $40-$50 for a hardback book just so I can do all the work of cutting out a few pages and dropping them into my campaign? Including any necessary conversion to my local setting?

(Also, since I have personal objections to physically removing the pages from the book, I'd still have to carry around another hardback)

This is like saying "the nice thing about buying a new car is that the tires can be taken off and put on another car". This is not a "nice thing". It is, at best, a way of salvaging some value from an AP you have no intention of running.

darjr

I crit!
Except it's chok a block full of cool things I can use. Not just one or two little things.

I get your point, but mine is that I see a ton I can use.

darjr

I crit!
But it may be moot. They may very well be working on what you'd like. Maybe.

One question, why does it need to be from WotC?

YES PLEASE NAOW I WANT TO D&D IN SPAAAAAAACE

Next week, I'll be posting a "preview edition" of the relaunch for my Realmspace Traveler's Guide on DMsGuild.

It's a project I started last year before I got a hang of formatting, and I'm rewriting and changing a lot of what I'd originally written/planned. I took a long break to work on other projects and try to figure out how I wanted to update Realmspace as a whole.

The preview edition will have basic stats for all worlds in the solar system belonging to the Forgotten Realms setting, as well as rules for spell jamming. It'll be PWYW so that even people on a tight budget can get a taste.

The full edition, which will be sold for a set price, will have player options and go more in-depth on each world featured in the guide. This will hopefully be done within a month or two after putting out the preview edition.

@ JohnnyRPG on Facebook for updates.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
But it may be moot. They may very well be working on what you'd like. Maybe.

One question, why does it need to be from WotC?
The dmguild is a bit hit and miss, is it not? Are the ratings all that helpful?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

pukunui

Legend
This is incredibly inefficient. I pay $40-$50 for a hardback book just so I can do all the work of cutting out a few pages and dropping them into my campaign? Including any necessary conversion to my local setting?

You said you liked having dungeons and adventures to drop into your homebrew campaign. Each hardback from Wotc is chock-full of dungeons and adventures you can drop into your campaign. How is that inefficient? Most of them are structured in such a way that they won't require a lot of tweaking to be used as standalone adventures (I know, I've done it a number of times now). As for converting to your setting, wouldn't you have to do that anyway, no matter where you're getting the dungeons and adventures you're dropping into it from?

I used the "Trouble in Red Larch" intro from Princes of the Apocalypse as the intro to my homebrew campaign. I also used several other pieces from PotA as standalone adventures. For instance, I used the fire cult's surface and initial dungeons as an adventure tied to one of the PC's backstories. I also used the air cult's surface lair as a "random" adventure site that the PCs investigated. I also used the Amber Temple from Curse of Strahd as a means for one of the PCs to obtain the power to bring his dead sister back to life. On top of that, I used the Fane of the Sun Swallower from Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, Neverlight Grove from Out of the Abyss, and some old Dungeon adventures I converted. It made for a fun campaign. It really wasn't difficult to use any of those parts separate from the campaigns they came with.

And the books were all still useful in other ways too, even though I wasn't running the main stories out of any of them. Out of the Abyss comes with handy rules on traveling through the Underdark, for instance.

Believe me, if it was truly inefficient, I wouldn't have bothered. But I found it quite easy. In fact, I believe quite strongly that WotC have deliberately written these big campaigns so that you can cut them up and use their parts in your own campaigns with little effort. That is most likely part of the reason why some people complain that their plots are so flimsy - it's because they've deliberately left things loose so that you can ignore the main plot and just use the parts you like.

This is like saying "the nice thing about buying a new car is that the tires can be taken off and put on another car". This is not a "nice thing". It is, at best, a way of salvaging some value from an AP you have no intention of running.
More than just the tires! The engine, the exhaust, the doors, the seats, the stereo, the wood panelling, etc etc etc.

Last edited:

E

Elderbrain

Can we have a reprint of Gary Gygaxes Book of Names, or whatever it's called?

Just 300 pages of nothing but names to string together randomly and hope for the best.

That's rather unfair. I actually OWN the book, and it is a very nice, comprehensive selection of authentic historical names from virtually every time period and region, plus made-up names and instructions on creating your own. Need a name for your Viking? It's in there. Samurai or Ninja? Check. Aztec priest? You get the idea. The only downside is the price, which a reprint would help. Plus, it does have one missing slat: no Mesopotamian names (Sumerian, Babylonia, etc.) It also helps with placenames...

darjr

I crit!
Oh and the old living Greyhawk mods may come back for 5e. The first one went up ported to Pathfinder just recently, with the Greyhawk stuff modified to be not Greyhawk stuff.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Is Starfinder from Paizo going to scratch that itch? Or is it 5e D&D in space that's required?

For me it depends on how much magic there is going to be in Starfinder.

Also I still wonder how long Paizo is going to hold out before they update some of their old APs for 5e OGL - if the 5e market is as huge as people are saying then it seems silly for them to not try to take some of that share?

I really can not see that happening at all. That would be like Disney adding Mickey Mouse into the latest Avengers movie.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases