D&D 5E Mike Mearls Interview with the Escapist

Iosue

Legend
Actually, I just remembered: the escapist vids don't play on ios devices without a sub. Probably what happened here.
Must be. I just checked on my iPhone and I couldn't view it, even though I watched it on two different PCs, one running Linux and the other running Windows. I'm certainly not a member of any Publisher's Club.

Libramarian

Adventurer
Too much emphasis on designing rules that automagically match what DMs would naturally do without reading the books.

Sometimes the natural thing DMs tend to do without rules support is bad. I've played adventures written by new DMs. They're not good. The natural adventure mode for new DMs is the lazy railroad. Sandbox adventures are not natural. "Play to find out what happens" is not natural.

There is adventure writing wisdom that new DMs don't know and can't get from playing videogames because it's uniquely applicable to tabletop D&D. In the DMG I would like to see an analysis of the top 30 adventures of all time, looking for commonalities and distilled into recommendations, guidelines or even--yes--rules.

I'm sure it is true that most people don't really read the books before playing but what you write in the books still matters, it will still filter down through the playerbase in various ways from the people who do read them.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I really like this interview. Lets us inside on some of the ways of their design. It really feels like they took a very 13th age approach. I see it everywhere in the system, not that it is a bad thing. Leveling spells, backgrounds and the like. Good stuff. I like them giving the DM power back, and I mean this explicitly. Many newer players had a huge sense of self entitlement. That's not a bad thing, but that's not a game I run.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases