• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mike Mearls is a Genius

woodelf

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
I don't see how that's any more true for Eberron than it is for the other examples you've given. In fact, if anything, I'd think heavy borrowing from Midnight or AU/AE is more likely to change the feel of play away from traditional D&D than Eberron is.

Setting and scenario are only loosely coupled. That is, a given setting might support multiple scenarios, and a given scenario might fit multiple settings. And "core story" is really just a special term for the super-simplified structure of a scenario, which is intended to be in many, most, or all scenarios for a given game/setting.

I bring this up because i don't see any real evidence that the 'core story' of Arcana Unearthed is any different than that of D&D--sure, the widgets are different, but a core story is so abstract that things like races and classes and spells don't even enter into it. IOW, playing a game with AU is going to best fit the same core story that D&D does--which makes sense, since Monte intentionally built basically the same game, but with new widgets. I know i certainly would consider my AU game "D&D" by any standard less stringent than "uses the D&D3E rulebooks". And it fits settings tailored for D&D (Al-Qadim, in my case) about as well as any version of the D&D rules does.

Now, some settings (such as Midnight) will significantly alter the intended/implied core story. But mechanical changes have to be pretty significant, and/or specifically intended to change gameplay at the scenario level, to change the core story. New widgets specifically intended to have a very similar gameplay aren't gonna do it.

Remove ads