Mike Mearls Talks Greyhawk in Lore You Should Know

Shiroiken

Legend
Agreed. The From the Ashes grumblings have finally died down.
NEVER!

Actually, I thought that the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer was pretty well done, serving as an attempt to move things back towards the original design (similar to the Sundering in FR). While I still believe in Gary's original vision of a static setting for DMs to use as a starting point, I doubt they'll ever ret-con TSR's changes.

Raith5

Adventurer
I really like Greyhawk because it was my first campaign world back in the days of 1e. However, I dont quite understand the desire to just more or less reprint the original setting. I already have a copy of that. I quite liked some of ideas I saw in From the Ashes (but I never played in that iteration). I dont want to get burnt on a stake (!), but I hope it gets thoughtfully updated to fit with the new classes, races and themes of 5e.

If WotC brings Greyhawk together with Dragonlance into 5e, and opens them up to DMsGuild - it would make a lot of incredible plane-hopping and spelljamming projects possible.

Bring in Planescape's Sigil as well, and we could go for some wild rides, baby, yow!

D

DQDesign

If WotC brings Greyhawk together with Dragonlance into 5e, and opens them up to DMsGuild - it would make a lot of incredible plane-hopping and spelljamming projects possible.

Bring in Planescape's Sigil as well, and we could go for some wild rides, baby, yow!

quite unlikely. the priority now are oars, boats and seasickness. strongly more epic than any new version of Greyhawk or Dragonlance.

There is a good reason to not touch Greyhawk and Dragonlance yet. D&D needs the right movie adaptation to be the new Star Wars. It had to be the perfect blockbuster. I would bet Warner Bros have got great plans but they have to learn to touch the right key.

This means a possible retcon could happen, but some fans don't like changes in the lore. They have to be careful to avoid a "jump the shark" effect.

If I recall correctly, there aren’t even that many real rules or references to the rules in the Greyhawk Folio, so it could easily be used with 5e. Heck, even the 3e Gazetteer is also pretty rules-light.

For my part, I wouldn’t mind another advance to the timeline of Greyhawk, but really, any sort of Greyhawk official release for 5e would be a validation and endorsement of that classic setting. Not necessary, but pretty awesome if it does happen.

I really like Greyhawk because it was my first campaign world back in the days of 1e. However, I dont quite understand the desire to just more or less reprint the original setting. I already have a copy of that. I quite liked some of ideas I saw in From the Ashes (but I never played in that iteration). I dont want to get burnt on a stake (!), but I hope it gets thoughtfully updated to fit with the new classes, races and themes of 5e.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What I could forsee: a Ravnica style book that reprints the old GH set in it's entirety (ala Curse of Strahd), with additional material for old time-y Appendix N adventure & PC generation and a weird Gygaxian bestiary.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
I have the booklets from the original Greyhawk setting set - but not the map :( - so I wouldn't mind a new version of the setting.

Also, Gary on occasion would progress the current events of the setting, I'm reading series of articles from Gary in old Dragon magazines where he's basically chronicling a whole bunch of political and military struggles in a particular area of Greyhawk that could make things interesting for any DMs running games in that area.

D

DQDesign

There is a good reason to not touch Greyhawk and Dragonlance yet. D&D needs the right movie adaptation to be the new Star Wars. It had to be the perfect blockbuster. I would bet Warner Bros have got great plans but they have to learn to touch the right key.

This means a possible retcon could happen, but some fans don't like changes in the lore. They have to be careful to avoid a "jump the shark" effect.

So, just to understand, in your opinion the producers still have no idea about which setting has to be used for the D&D movie and for this reason Greyhawk and Dragonlance campaigns are still not updated for 5E?

The facts are now Forgotten Realms is the favorite thanks videogames. Maybe if there is an agreement between WotC and Capcom we would see a new videogame set in Mystara.

The first movie will be FR, but they need a good story, that is the difference between to be the movie of Aquaman or Warcraft, or the movie of fantastic four or Deadpool.

My hypothesis is Dragonlance will be a CGI teleserie, but with so many changes what it will be almost a reboot.

Remove ads