D&D 5E Mike Schley hints at something bigger than Phandelver, The Book of Many Things, and even Planescape!

aco175

Legend
My local news station likes to come on during primetime and tease something like, "This one food you may be eating right now might kill you- tune in at 11:00."

Then you tune in and they are talking about children swallowing peach pits and choking or lab rats swallowing 12 times their body weight in peanut butter getting cancer.

The context is mapmaking, which is teasingly ambiguous. A map of the FR beyond the Sword Coast would be "bigger", for instance.

It'd be huge, Faerun is like the size of North America if North America had Asia and Middle East sized contenients attached.

Actual if the Super Continent that Faerun is apart of got a map, that would be enormous map.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Hmmm, BIGGER than those? We know the three revised core books will be out next year, but not too much call for Schley's maps in those (other than the possible sample setting in the DMG, but even then that's probably a just a few maps). And we know about the Vecna adventure, but unless that's a lot bigger than expected, I can't see it being BIGGER than than what he's listed. And this and the core books have already been announced, more or less.

I'm going to say the rumored setting revisit we've known has been in the works for a bit. I would lean towards a full-fledged Forgotten Realms campaign setting book like the 3e FRCS or the 5e Eberron setting, filled with lots of Schley maps to illustrate the setting, its countries, and its cities...
The new DMG comes with a giant fold out poster map of whatever example Setting they are using. Mike Schley is the big gun for cartography, so I'm going with Schley doing a map of the Flannaes for the DMG.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It'd be huge, Faerun is like the size of North America if North America had Asia and Middle East sized contenients attached.

Actual if the Super Continent that Faerun is apart of got a map, that would be enormous map.

Yep. I mean, it was just an off-the-cuff example that "bigger" can mean several different things in the context of mapmaking. But having said it, doing world maps for the 2024 publication would totally fit the bill.

Remove ads