D&D 5E Military food in dnd

Sacrosanct

Legend
That seems to be true of every soldier throughout the multiverse. :D

Bob

Heh. Largely true. Although when I was on a French base in Mostar, Bosnia, their food was pretty good. It sounds weird, but the bread was awesome just by itself. I could eat nothing but their bread and be very happy. Best bread I ever had.

And the MREs from the Spanish Army were really good too. We in the US had some decent ones too, like Chili Mac, and Chicken and Rice. I could never complain about those.

Kabouter Games

Explorer
Heh. Largely true. Although when I was on a French base in Mostar, Bosnia, their food was pretty good. It sounds weird, but the bread was awesome just by itself. I could eat nothing but their bread and be very happy. Best bread I ever had.

Yeah, but they weren't your rations, were they? :p

Seriously, the French combat rats were Teh Bawmb. I remember trading for those in Somalia. To further prove my point, they hated their rations and loved our MREs.

Lunatics.

'Course they were Legionnaires. That might account for a lot.

And the MREs from the Spanish Army were really good too.

Never had those. I wonder what those were like.

We in the US had some decent ones too, like Chili Mac, and Chicken and Rice. I could never complain about those.

I have a really awful story about a C130 full of paratroopers and a Chicken Stew MRE. LOL

I always loved Tuna with Noodles, myself.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yeah, but they weren't your rations, were they? :p

Seriously, the French combat rats were Teh Bawmb. I remember trading for those in Somalia. To further prove my point, they hated their rations and loved our MREs.

Lunatics.

'Course they were Legionnaires. That might account for a lot.

Never had those. I wonder what those were like.

I have a really awful story about a C130 full of paratroopers and a Chicken Stew MRE. LOL

I always loved Tuna with Noodles, myself.

Maybe what made the Spanish ones so good was because there was a lot of chocolate and sweetened condensed milk lol. But some of the entrees were good too, and both the French and Spanish ones has stoves, instead of those stinky MRE heaters that only worked half the time. French ones were really heavy on pate lol. I think MREs and pron were the two biggest traded items between us :D

And of course we were all pretty creative with them, like putting sugar and creamer in with the freeze dried fruit pouch. That was pretty good. Or the aforementioned Chili mac when you put in a packet of cheese spread in with it. Tuna and noodles was OK, but not my favorite.

Keep in mind this was all in the 90s, so I'm sure so much has changed now. I wish they still had the tobasco sauce in the accessory packet though. the only way to make some meals edible...

And I was a Blackhawk crewchief, so yeah, I have plenty of stories of aircraft+MREs = Me with a hose as soon as we land.... :/

Last edited:

Kabouter Games

Explorer
those stinky MRE heaters that only worked half the time.

...which made awesome improvised pyrotechnics, as I'm sure you learned from the infantry. :p

I think MREs and pron were the two biggest traded items between us :D

I didn't have any pron, so we had to make do with food and tobacco. I traded a lot of Red Man chew for Gauloises.

And of course we were all pretty creative with them, like putting sugar and creamer in with the freeze dried fruit pouch.

FRUIT COBBLER! We added the crackers, too, all mashed up.

Keep in mind this was all in the 90s, so I'm sure so much has changed now.

I imagine. They changed a lot after I got out in '99. I never used the Tabasco. I did used to put the instant coffee in my lip like Copenhagen, because I needed the boost and never had time to brew actual coffee. Tasted foul, but hit your bloodstream like WHAMMO. LOL

And I was a Blackhawk crewchief, so yeah, I have plenty of stories of aircraft+MREs = Me with a hose as soon as we land.... :/

Yeah, those Air Force guys came to our barracks that night with a list of demands. ;)

We should probably stop hijacking the thread with "no :):):):):) there I was" stories.

Kabouter Games

Explorer
I see no reason why it'd have to be appreciably different than Medieval or Early Modern real-world armies.

Finding sufficient supplies of clean potable water along the route of march is impossible. Historical armies relied on water at their peril, hence the rations of weak beer (or wine), as well as the supplies of the raw ingredients for brewing, as outlined above.

If the water can be somehow treated, whether magically treated or created by magic, dysentery can't really happen. However, I think that'd run into the magic "economy," also outlined above, where I mused on food.

Before anyone goes all wonky about staggering, drunken soldiers, keep in mind we're talking about weak, weak ale. Less than 2% by volume, consumed over a long period, does not lead to impairment. The brewing process removes harmful microbes, and retains proteins and other nutrients which supplement the cheese-and-hardtack ration.

Regards,

Bob

www.r-p-davis.com

jasper

Rotten DM
[3D][/3D]
Whatever they have, you can bet that the troops complain about it.
General Jasper, "So what Capt Kobold! Complaining troops are happy troops! Get back to me when they quit griping!"

edit to add.
I was going to post my endless water decanter write up. But it is from 3E. But a person water needs are 2.5 quarts or 2.36 liters to maintain health.

Last edited:

Remove ads