D&D General Mimic third most popular character in award winning manga.

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End is a fantasy manga turned popular anime. Turns out a year ago there was a character popularity poll and the Mimic got third place! Though based on my glancing, the voting system may have had some irregularities. It seems the Mimic's voting icon was wrong and that the voting system heavily favored online tweeting. Just random reddit speculation so take it with a grain of salt. I would rather believe Japanese people just appreciate fine monster design.

How can people not fall in love with it once they see one in action???

Everyone loves the Mimic, right???
Mimic 3.jpg

Ondath

Hero
I recently started Frieren and I think it's an excellent anime. You can definitely see the B/X influences on the JRPG genre as a whole, and the world (despite being basically Fantasy Tropes: the Setting) feels like a well-thought out, fun fantasy setting.

I also think the titular character is the best depiction of what an elf's long life can mean, beyond any other example I've seen (except perhaps maybe Elrond going "I was there, Gandalf" when talking about the battle versus Sauron in Lord of the Rings). It really gave me the urge to make the passage of time more prominent in my D&D games.

MuhVerisimilitude

Adventurer
Currently following the Frieren anime adaption and it's very good. Also watching Dungeon Meshi, which is superb (I've read the manga and it's one of the best fantasy comics out there).

I think it's interesting to compare the TTRPG influences on Sousou no Frieren and Dungeon Meshi, both TTRPG inspired.

Frieren seems to follow a fairly "modern" RPG style. We have an adventure that takes place mostly outside of dungeons, casters who can spam spells pretty much indefinitely. Martial characters have in excellent anime-style maneuvers and mobility ("unrealistic" jumping ability etc).

The anime has an amazing atmosphere and soundtrack.

Dungeon Meshi is much more oldschool. It focuses exclusively on dungeon crawling. The casters are much more restrictive with using magic, martial characters are more old-school grounded. Someone described it pretty well on twitter (paraphrasing here): It's like a group of veteran players out-arguing the GM that yes this totally insane holy-water strategy will allow them to beat a bunch of ghosts without actually expending any of their holy water (which they just convinced the GM to allow them to make because "herbs" are totally religious in some cultures so adding herbs to water makes the water holy).

Ryoko Kui, the artist behind Dungeon Meshi, is also a computer rpg fan. She has made custom portraits for Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate 1, Baldur's Gate 2 and she's drawn Planescape Torment fanart.

Anyway both series are great and you shoulld watch them if you like fantasy.

Does anybody know any new about a future official D&D setting created by and for Japaneses?

How would be a D&D manga with the tropes of the isekai genre. Maybe a character would using an holographic HUD because in her previous life she was a technnomancer in Kamigawa.

MuhVerisimilitude

Adventurer
Does anybody know any new about a future official D&D setting created by and for Japaneses?

How would be a D&D manga with the tropes of the isekai genre. Maybe a character would using an holographic HUD because in her previous life she was a technnomancer in Kamigawa.
There are a number of japanese RPG systems. Meikyuu Kingdom, Ryuutama. Not sure if there is a particular D&D setting though.

They appear to have forgotten Heiter, the actual best character.
He got 11th place, so not bad :p

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I recently started Frieren and I think it's an excellent anime. You can definitely see the B/X influences on the JRPG genre as a whole, and the world (despite being basically Fantasy Tropes: the Setting) feels like a well-thought out, fun fantasy setting.

I also think the titular character is the best depiction of what an elf's long life can mean, beyond any other example I've seen (except perhaps maybe Elrond going "I was there, Gandalf" when talking about the battle versus Sauron in Lord of the Rings). It really gave me the urge to make the passage of time more prominent in my D&D games.
You could play Legacy Life Among the Ruins if you want to feel the passage of time across generations

Remove ads