D&D 5E Mind Blank and telepathy

Hedron

Explorer
How does the effects of Mind Blank effect communication with telepathy? The spell says that no-one can read or influence your thoughts, but is that how telepathy works, or does two way communication work with the participants "hearing" the "shouted" thoughts?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
What exactly are you asking about? Telepathy is neither sensing the Mind Blanked target's emotions, nor reading the Mind Blanked target's thoughts, so in a general sense I think it would work, but the specific wording might impact the RAW.

Hedron

Explorer
The part I'm having difficulty interpreting is the read targets thoughts part of the Mind Blank spell, but the wording of telepathy from the Monster Manual is unclear - can the target of Mind Blank still get the message, but not respond?

jasper

Rotten DM
I am sorry the person you are thinking of does not exist Hedron, if you would like to try again please hang up and try again. Mind Blank no one is home and no answering service.
Telepathy throat mic and ear bug.

Harzel

Adventurer
So first off, it's a corner case and there isn't and probably won't be an official answer. That said, to me the most plausible rulings are
  1. The communication enabled by the Telepathy spell or a monster's telepathy trait seems intended to be voluntary, whereas Mind Blank seems intended to prevent involuntary intrusions. Based on that, one could reasonably posit that Mind Blank would not interfere with telepathy.
  2. Mind Blank prevents "outgoing" telepathic communication, but not "incoming".

hopeless

Adventurer
I need to reread this, I assumed Mind Blank would prevent telepathy working on the recipient so they could never receive or project thoughts to the bearer or anyone within its field of effect.

Hedron

Explorer
It's definately an edge case, I'll probably go with my initial idea, which was to allow the character protected by Mind Blank to hear the message, but not be able to respond.

Thanks All

Ashrym

Legend
I just reread them both. Telepathy would work exactly as stated regardless of mind blank. This is true because telepathy is an evocation and not a divination, and because no one is reading the other's mind.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Until the spell ends, you and the target can instantaneously share words, images, sounds, and other sensory messages with one another through the link, and the target recognizes you as the creature it is communicating with. The spell enables a creature with an Intelligence score of at least 1 to understand the meaning of your words and take in the scope of any sensory messages you send to it.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Until the spell ends, one willing creature you touch is immune to psychic damage, any effect that would sense its emotions or read its thoughts, divination spells, and the charmed condition.
[/FONT]

The individual with mind blank is sharing (ie broadcasting) those senses etc. He is not being targeted with mind reading et al. Telepathy isn't reading anything. It's receiving what's been sent.
[/FONT]

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My feeling is that Mind Blank is a massive spell to shut down mind affecting spells on the caster. That kind of massive mental wall would probably stop telepathy, so that's how I would rule it.

Remove ads