D&D 5E Mines of Phandelver - Need Help With a BBEG Brainstorm

Lojaan

Hero
Gudrun being the black spider is tricky as for the start of the adventure the PCs are trying to rescue him from said spider. Gudrum kidnapping himself because reasons would take a lot of work and likely just leave the players going "huh? Oh well let's stab him".

I do like making the Black Spider someone in town tho. The drow guy is just an employee. People just assume he's the Black spider because he's a drow

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
See to me what makes Lost Mines special is that so much creativity of first time DMs has been poured into making this rather sketchy and underdeveloped module their own. I think, in that vein, for most people the underdeveloped villain with the paper thin motives is a strength.

I think WotC's mistake, given that this is the "learn to DM" module was not putting in language explicitly telling new DMs that their version of the Black Spider is just a suggestion and that you should sub in whatever you want and it will make a nearly equal or greater amount of sense. Then maybe have some suggestions for what might make a more compelling end boss fight for different group compositions.
As a new DM when I ran this I was more confused than creative. I didn’t want to have to work to make it my own, I wanted to practice action adjudication and running combat.

IMHO this is better described as an intro to 5e for existing players (especially given their almost unanimous praise) rather than a learn to DM module (as there is little to no action adjudication guidance).

Anyway, as I’ve thoroughly derailed this thread (apologies OP :D) I’ll stop there.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
No, that is completely expected. It just happened so quick and the tangent didn't develop organically, it just appeared without any help from the OP

I mean, at least it hasn't devolved into an argument about metagaming, player agency, and whether orcs are racist.

Um....oops.

Yes, I've used the feature before. However, I didn't read the whole thread and then respond. I responded as I was going through it.
I just tag things (select quote, or just quote the whole post) as I go. Then when I get to my reply, I can have all the the things in one post which actually lets me review what I've quoted. Often times I find that then I can either consolidate or remove things I've marked for quoting since they been answered or not applicable anymore.

But, that's just my preference. Not up to me to say how you use the forums :)

I do want to go on record that Black Spider is an absolutely ridiculous name for a drow. It's like calling yourself Drow Drow McDrowface.

Much better if the name has no initial connection to drow, and was taken over by a drow with a sense of comedic irony.

"I heard someone using the name and simply couldn't resist!"

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I do want to go on record that Black Spider is an absolutely ridiculous name for a drow. It's like calling yourself Drow Drow McDrowface.

Much better if the name has no initial connection to drow, and was taken over by a drow with a sense of comedic irony.

"I heard someone using the name and simply couldn't resist!"

Or he hates the name; it's just what everybody else calls him. His minions think it sounds bad@$$, but know better than to use it in his presence.

Remove ads