Mini Campaign- Kell guild

Crispy120286

Explorer
I don't have a full group to begin running Zeitgeist, only 2 players right now. sadness. BUT! I want to run something in the Zeitgeist universe. The fun idea i thought of was to have them start off as low end mooks in the Kell Guild.

I would like to see what ideas anyone would have for Session ideas. I can run for about 3 to 4 hours ever week. Where can i find some good inspiration for a possibly episodic adventure of a couple of bad guys working under Kell?

What does everyone think of this idea? i'll definitely be writing about the crazy adventures they have and would be fun to have the RHC Heroes when I finally run the campaign encounter them.

Instead of the Kell guild, can I suggest the Family? If you intend to play the full campaign afterwards the Kell guild are definitely set up as 'the baddies' whereas the Family are possible allies.

Also, another potential option would be a series of episodic one shots as the players are regular policemen (who then get seconded to the RHC prior to or during the events of the first module) or in the RHC directly. This will give you a good chance to set up engagement with a couple of the key RHC players (e.g. Lady Saxby) who could do with some more foreshadowing.

Crispy120286

Explorer
I don't want too much foreshadowing or clues for the main campaign, just the world and some fun character cameos. my thought is that it is going to be the year 498-499 AOV. just prior to the campaign. The family could work as well. I thought the Kell Guild because the two players who i have wanted to play an evil campaign where they can be the bad guys or antagonists. Depending on what they do they'll encounter the family, the police, or worse the RHC.

Hell, let them get it out of their system, go on a crime spree, and then if you get a chance to run the main campaign, say the RHC got extra funding to deal with these truly flagrant crimes the Kell Guild has committed. Make them notorious, and in adventure 5 there are a few 'guild bases' Kell has where they could be assigned as mini-bosses.

Crispy120286

Explorer
That's an amazing idea!! I love the idea of them being bosses in the later adventures.

Where should i start with plot lines? at level 1 I think they should start off as just entry level thugs, and then working their way up. need to start planning on different encounters. Any suggestions? or fun plots anyone can think of?

Look at your local newspaper. Whatever crime happens, that's the PCs' first goal.

Come up with some cops to corrupt, or a decent cop to threaten.

Dungeons don't really work, but if you want some anti-heroism, spread rumors of the Rag Man killings, then have one of their friends be a victim. Criminal vs serial killer (whose lair could be a dungeon) might be fun.

At least one theatrical performance. Go rob a fancy clothing store in North Shore to use as costumes.

Smuggle something in Bosum Strand.

Some goody two shoes pisses off Kell. When you go to routh him up, his bodyguard is tough and slows you down, letting him flee. Track him down in the Nettles.

A staple of paying protection money is that you may actually have to provide protection - the background for Zeitgeist indicates a gang war is going on, so maybe you need to recover goods stolen from Kell guild fronts or protected stores, track down criminals who have been hitting your turf, administer street justice. Other stuff that real life mobsters who get protection money do is resolve disputes with other shopkeepers and help cut through bureaucracy.

Given the low (none) police presence in the Nettles, you become a terrible and corrupt local government. This allows you to control shades of grey in your adventure as well.

This can also be tied into the broader plot if you want. The Russian protection concept Krysha ('roof') was also used to facilitate business dealings - so very possibly influencing local government officials, judges, obtaining permits, identifying and pressuring officials who are working against Kell guild intrests.

takai

Explorer
Some possible Kell missions:

- pick up and distribute contraband from a smuggler but the family gets wind of it
- fey pepper distribution or production with competition
- breaking and entering to get at that stuff before they do
- burn down a factory but steal the current production batch beforehand
- rough up a docker that has been causing trouble to an industrialist
- free a colleague from Goodsons Estuarial Reformatory (or whatever it is called)

Remove ads