Votes: 8 9.4%
  • *Cough*, I Feel *Cough* Great!

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • An Unexpected Visitor Drops In

Votes: 13 15.3%

• Poll closed .

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
My entry is not in this heat, but I also feel cheated that I couldn't vote because The Front Page didn't say that the vote was taking place till the first heat was over. No offence to the author of "Put to the Sword", I did like the idea but I didn't think it was the best of that group.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
MavrickWeirdo said:
My entry is not in this heat, but I also feel cheated that I couldn't vote because The Front Page didn't say that the vote was taking place till the first heat was over. No offence to the author of "Put to the Sword", I did like the idea but I didn't think it was the best of that group.

I feel the same way exactly (though I did vote).

EOL

First Post
The key sticking point as to whether someone followed the rules or not seems to be in the reusability or independence of the three pieces: encounter, location and NPC. The key phrase in the contest rules is:

...the encounter must contain an original location and a unique NPC (of any alignment), both of which should be easy to re-use independently of each other and of the encounter itself.

Some have stated that the encounter needs to be independent, but that's not what it sounds like to me it sounds like it's the location and NPC that ought to be independent and reusable, but it's fine if the encounter (the first page) helps wrap it all together.

Now I had not one, but two encounters in this heat, and when I thought of the term reusable I thought about it in the term like the NPC's in Enemies and allies are reusable. Take Varro and Khalili for example. Varro is the urban druid and Khalili is the Master of the thieves guild and even though Khalili is mentioned specifically in Varro's write-up it would still be easy to seperate them.

So let's look at The Portal which was one of the two encounters I had in this heat. To me it seemed completely reusable and independent. The encounter has a single line (in the flavor text) which mentions the NPC. That line could easily be cut. Now the NPC is a different story his background and role-playing notes mention the tower and it's history extensively. But who couldn't use a 15th level Orc Monk in their campaign? Just the humor value of having the first level party run into a single orc, which (if anything like my party) they immediately attack only to find out they're the goons in a martial arts flick. Of course you don't kill any just keep stunning them till they learn their lesson. Plus I put in notes on scaling him up and down from 11th level all the way to 20th. I thought that both the location and the NPC were interesting.

My other encounter in this heat was L'amour de Erinyes. The story was trite and cliched, the location was merely an inn, completely unremarkable without the presense of the Erinyes. The Erinyes herself was basically uninteresting except for the over-powered and over-priced magic item I'd given her. So when the votes were in what was the result? L'amour did pretty good and The Portal was stuck near the bottom.

So the morale of this story is I have no idea what I'm talking about so you should probably just ignore me....:D

der_kluge

Adventurer
I see your point.

I agree with you, EOL.

My entry was the last-place one - "*Cough*". In retrospect, I should have written up another idea I had but didn't, thinking that this entry was the more interesting of the two. Although the other has a much more interesting location.

There wasn't anything in the rules that said I could stretch out the margins of the page - which I did - extensively. There also wasn't anything in the rules that said that the location had to be really cool and fascinating and a module within itself - as some have indicated. Yes, so my location is just a cottage in the forest, nothing fancy about that, BUT it is usable by itself. So, the rules here were vague, but I did follow them.

And I really liked your "Portal" entry. Very nice concept.

I'm just amazed that "Catch as Catch Can" beat my entry. And I'm also surprised that "Put to the Sword" was as popular as it was. I'd like to hear comments from those that voted for it as to why they thought it was so good?

Scupper

First Post
I was disappointed that the polls were closed so quickly. My personal favorite was "*Cough*" and I voted for it in the original, aborted poll on the front page. I'm disappointed to see it only get a handful of votes here, though I don't disparage the winner any, as I liked "Put to the Sword" as well.

Nail

First Post
Whoa, that was fast.....

Morrus said:
The winning entry from Heat One is Put to the Sword.

I'll post Heat Two tomorrow.

....sure, I had time to vote, but......that was quick.....give the next few a wee bit more time, eh?

Originally posted by Nail
.....an' it's gotta have the potential fer using th' boot leather.

tenelo wrote:

> Huh? Is this an obscure way of saying that unless an
> encounter includes a fight, you don't rate it highly?

> I disagree strongly with your attitude [snip]

> One objective point that I will put forward is that if
> everyone judges on the same set of criteria, then it is far
> easier to determine a winner on merit, rather than
> subjective likes or dislikes...[snip]

Les' jus' say that th' use of boot leather in an encounter's got a lot of "merit" in my book......

'Sides, yer gonna hafta convince me that "merit" and "subjective likes and dislikes" are all that different. I think if ye look closer, you'll find not.

May the best one win (as long as it nets me that fiver. :^)

-Nail

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
Morrus, would it be possible for you to post the "heat" groups in advance? That would allow us to read ahead a bit, so that if, say, I had a few hours I could read the whole next heat and part of the following, etc., staying ahead of the vote.

EOL

First Post
Re: I see your point.

die_kluge said:
I'm just amazed that "Catch as Catch Can" beat my entry. And I'm also surprised that "Put to the Sword" was as popular as it was. I'd like to hear comments from those that voted for it as to why they thought it was so good?
My own personal theory on why "Put to the Sword" won. Is that it was first. This is not to disparage the author or the adventure, it had some really good stuff, but it wasn't clearly better than the others. Second, third and fourth were very tight and I would expect unless the adventure was just fantastic that first place should have been tight as well.

What I'm thinking is that people started reading from the top, thought this is pretty good, stopped reading and voted. We'll see if my theory holds true in the subsequent heats. But as I said above I don't know what I'm talking about so you should probably just ignore me.

Berandor

lunatic
O.K., I'm sick, so I've got some time to comment on the entries :)

I also regarded not the page count for rules, as some got permits for exception, others didn't.
I did, however, look at NPC and location speerately, at the rules side of it, and how the encounter wrapped these together.

1. Put to the sword.
The premise of the adventure was interesting, if a bit cliché. I didn't like that some details about the backstory were left out.
What if a wizard got a sleep spell through, then they would heal the lizardfolk and take him into the big city? Would he still try to die, safe from his tribe?
O.K., that's far-fetched, but what if the tribe came around while the PCs were still there? Would they attack? Thank them? Spit on the lizardfolk as he begged for death?
Overall, a safe place in the middle.

2. Catch as catch can.
I liked that one. A NPC catfish, a fisherman in need, somehow I liked it. But it was too unremarkable on the technical side, so in the end, it was one of the lower rated.
The river and the halfling fisher were too impersonal; sorry.

3. The Centaur's very bad day
I also liked that one very much, as it didn't revolve around fighting.
Still, the rules-wise handling of the tree trunk struck me as a little bit odd or difficult, and it was too unsafe that the PCs would even stumble upon the centaur.

4. L'amour d'Erinyes.
I really liked the premise! I immediately saw this as a role-playing encounter, at the fallen demon, though a rather often heard tale, was a nice idea.
I would have liked to read something about the feelings of the ranger, though.
Upper half, but not winner.

5. Harmonies in the snow.
That one almost got my vote!
A bardic pseudodragon, and a singing valley? I really liked both, but I found some of the explanations and bindings to be a bitt abrupt or confusing.
I will use this in my campaign, though, nevertheless.

6. Bad Cats' Day.
This encounter gave a lot of thought towards tailoring the valley in a different way. Though I don't use psionics too often, I really liked the idea of putting PCs against fearsome animal isntead of the usual NPC or Monster. See why panthers and lions are feared in Real Life!
The deranged keeper of the valley was also quite nice, and both work perfectly well without each other.
That was my vote for the heat.

7. The Portal.
I somehow felt this was an old idea. Furthermore, the orc was tied very much to the tower, and the encounter lacked a bit of flavor to me. Something specuial about the wizard, perhaps, or some other details, would have benefitted this encounter very much.
Middle half - though I really, really, liked the scaling part of the encounter, it was perhaps a little too much, drawing space from other details.

8. *Cough*, I feel *cough* great!
I liked the idea, though how it would work with suggestion was a bit stretchy. Why not invent a new spell capable of doing it? A great "command", perhaps? "One sentence of up to eight words that the subject, failing a will throw, will adhere to." - You feel great.
The premise was cool, but I didn't like the execution. Furthermore, what would happen if the Pcs have one or two healers, that set up shop and heal everyday? They sure have more spells for that purpose.

9. An unexpected visitor drops in.
I didn't like it at all.
It was well-written, and technically sound, but somehow I just didn't like the NPC, the egg, the visitor from outer space theory - anything.
Technically sound, though.

Berandor

xjp

First Post
I voted for:

*Cough*, I feel *cough* great!

I thought this one was pretty clever. The peasant queue and all the great spells could make for a very interesting encounter. Lot's of possibilities, I think it would be a lot of fun to use something like this. This was doing pretty well in the original aborted poll before things started getting way out of wack. Anyway, I liked it.

The other two I liked:

Put to the sword

I thought this was decent and I thought it might appeal to the sensibilites of many of the posters here. With some re-writing I could use something like this. Congratulations to the author.

Catch as catch can

I really liked this one, too. It was a bit different and fun, that's why I liked it. It's not going to tie up lots of game time, but it makes for a nice, unexpected diversion. Definately a fine entry.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases