D&D 5E Miniatures, or Theater of the Mind

What is your preferred method of combat resolution?

• Theater of the Mind

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • Miniatures

Votes: 63 53.4%
  • Other / Explain in the Comments

Votes: 17 14.4%

fba827

Adventurer
While I do both depending on circumstance these days I lean more towards minis than not ( so that's what I picked in the poll)

It allows easier communication/understanding between players and do as to what the situation is ( otherwise someone may explain something but it might be misunderstood or not heard or forgotten by the time their turn comes back around)

And it allows provides a visual focal point for attention, which in some ways reduces distraction for those with low attention spans or whose eyes might wander to their phone while they are 'yeah yeah I'm listening to the dm explain it'

For very noncomplex situations that still are complex enough to warrant minis as a visual focal point I might leave it as simple as piling minis to just show relative size and position rather than specific grid locations. So even in using minis there is a spectrum on how detailed I make it

I can see LG. Necromancers who focus on putting down the dead instead of raising and assassins who only target evil targets that are causing evil. A LG assassin might even be working for a holy order or a government-backed guild.

And, paladins can be evil. The Oath of Vengeance seems particularly suited to the evil alignments.

I can imagine a necromancer who helps people say farewell to their deceased loved ones, by bringing them back one last time. Or who helps a farmer who just lost his son, by animating the dead to help him with his hard labor. A necromancer could help people when the dead are not at peace, and to figure out what is amiss in the realm of the dead. A necromancer might also be able to discover the truth behind a murder, by simply asking the victim.

Assassins could be merciful. The act of taking a life is obviously not always a bad thing, and does it really matter if you use poisons, or attack from the shadows, or in a fair fight? Its dubious to slap different moral spectrums on actions that basically have the same outcome. An assassin might be the only way to rid a country of its cruel despot, who would otherwise be untouchable.

As for paladins, I think any sufficiently lawful good character could become a fanatic. And a fanatic who is lawful good, might as well be lawful evil, if looked at from a different angle. Paladins can also become corrupted, or they can fall from their faith.

I've decided to add some concrete examples from my session last night to make sure my stance on the matter is clear:

Encounter A: the PCs (a necromancer and an assassin) surprise 4 cult fanatics sitting around a table eating a meal in their shared room. No need for minis because the environment is simple, the positioning isn't going to matter beyond is/isn't near the table, and the fanatics might not even be getting to take actions (as evident by the way it played out: one fanatic killed on the assassin's first turn, the rest stuck in a web spell, then another fanatic dead on the assassin's second turn, and one wounded by the necromancer, then the fanatics cast some spells trying to paralyze the assassin and damage the necromancer to break concentration, and died within the next two rounds for failing to do either).

Encounter B: the necromancer, two zombies under her control, and the assassin are in the cult's temple, when they realize a giant constrictor is hiding inside a bell near the center of the room, and it slithering out sounds the bell, which is answered by 3 of the four entrance to the temple opening and enemies coming forth; the cult leader from one, 20 skeletons from another, and 20 zombies from the last - so out come the dungeon tiles to show the room and its furnishings and a detailed position for each of the 46 combatants. The great benefits were knowing how quickly each party member got surrounded, and how many of those zombies were in the area of the lightning bolt spell the assassin cast from a ring of spell storing. In the end, the battle was memorable for the players, but the necromancer player is lamenting not having chosen any area effect spells as of yet (but she is 34 experience from reaching 7th level, so I expect she'll be remedying that very soon).

This is how I tend to handle it as well. If the battle situation is easy to describe, then there's no need for miniatures. A simple bar fight for example, relies very little on precise details. The players might flip a table, or throw a chair. But exact distances, measurements and cover, are not really relevant.

But when there's a big battle, with height differences, cover, difficult terrain, and magic, then I bring out the miniatures. Specifically when the players are engaged in ranged combat, and are taking cover, or when AOE spells are being used, then it becomes important to me to illustrate the battle. And if no miniatures are available, simple plastic pawns will suffice.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
Sliding scale. I've got a ton of minis that are rarely worth my time to pull out. It's usually "d6 are orcs, the d4 is the necromancer, and the oversize d20 is the worg," or something like that -- when I bother to put stuff out, at all.

Last game, I ran an outdoor combat with 15-20 NPCs spread out over the base encounter and 3 waves of reinforcements (things went poorly in the Crimson Moon Hall, FWIW). We used dice for relative spacing of enemies. The big questions were whether combatants were melee distance, who was obscured by smoke, how long it took to close, and who could be grouped/lined up for fireball/lightning bolt. I pretty much went with FATE zones (though I didn't tell my players) and it worked incredibly well.

That's been true for a lot of the 5E combats I've run -- use a bit of both schools. Sometimes, I need to draw the full map out because the terrain is intricate and there's value in fine-grained tactics. Other times, the risk is expending resources, not death, and people only care about how many orcs they can reach at once or whether they can meat-shield the caster.

One thing that I love, love, love about 5E is that I can use TotM without breaking my players' strategy. But... it has enough support for minis that we can drill down, as needed/desired.

Ktulu

First Post
I do a strong mix of both. I prefer totem when my monsters are flying creatures, or have a large map area, or when I have a massive amount of creatures in a fight.

Minis and maps when we're more closed in small spaces or fewer monsters.

And sometimes, I just choose to be lazy in mid session and don't pull the minis for a fight.

It keeps the players on their toes, anyway.

Arcshot

First Post
Theater of the Mind. Generally for me, it is easier than fiddling with little pieces and maps. Another reason is that I do not have minis that can represent the PCs and monsters accurately. However I must say I appreciate the benefits of using minis as visual aids especially for tracking battles involving many combatants.

Theater of the Mind. Generally for me, it is easier than fiddling with little pieces and maps. Another reason is that I do not have minis that can represent the PCs and monsters accurately. However I must say I appreciate the benefits of using minis as visual aids especially for tracking battles involving many combatants.

A friend of mine has a whole box full of miniatures, and yet we always come up short when trying to represent specific monsters. And thus we end up having a chain golem stand in for a coral golem, and a huge centipede stand in for a huge black scorpion. I suppose the positions and directions are more important than what the mini actually looks like.

Mercule

Adventurer
A friend of mine has a whole box full of miniatures, and yet we always come up short when trying to represent specific monsters. And thus we end up having a chain golem stand in for a coral golem, and a huge centipede stand in for a huge black scorpion. I suppose the positions and directions are more important than what the mini actually looks like.
Yup. This is why I rarely bother. I'd rather use a spare d4 for the piercer than one of the four grick minis I have.

You'd think that, with a couple hundred minis, I'd be able to match better than 25% of the time.

halfling rogue

Explorer
I used to be all minis all the time, but after 5e I've been converted to Theater of the Mind...with graph paper markings. As soon as the mini tether was detached it created a whole new experience at the table that I didn't think was possible. Since 5e I've only used minis once and I noticed we used them different since converting to TotM.

Yup. This is why I rarely bother. I'd rather use a spare d4 for the piercer than one of the four grick minis I have.

You'd think that, with a couple hundred minis, I'd be able to match better than 25% of the time.

Spare dice are my favorite miniatures of all. -That and an overturned transparent plastic dice box, for aerial creatures. But I agree, even with hundreds of miniatures, you still come up short every single time.

Remove ads