D&D 5E Minimum ability scores for a PC

Andvari

Hero
I like the 3rd edition ruling. Your character's ability scores are considered too low if your combined modifiers are +0 or less, or your highest score is a 13 or less.

A method I've considered, but not used, is simply counting the total modifiers and setting a "band" with a minimum and maximum it must not be lower or higher than. For example, a 4-8 band would mean you reroll if your total modifiers are less than 4 or more than 8.

That being said, I prefer to avoid taking the possibility of having too low scores out of the equation by not rolling for ability scores.

Last edited:

Andvari

Hero
For random but somewhat equal, I would just start with all stats at 8, then roll d6 for which stat increases by 2, do that 11 times. And then an extra roll to increase something by 1.

Increasing stat by 2 is because increasing by just 1 (but with double the dice) would mean more bell-curve which would mean more chance of everything ending up as 12. And also to avoid people getting a varying amount of odd values. Then, the extra roll is to get AN odd value in.

(and then hope everyone avoids rolling 12 12 12 12 12 11)
This is quite clever, I think. It can end up in illegal results, like a 20, but you can just say rolls that put a stat above 18 is "wasted" or is re-rolled.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I like the 3rd edition ruling. Your character's ability scores are considered too low if your combined modifiers are +0 or less, or your highest score is a 13 or less.
Same here. It pretty much matches what I was already doing before 3e even came out.
That being said, I prefer to avoid taking the possibility of having too low scores out of the equation by not rolling for ability scores.
Low scores or high scores, you'll take these dice from my cold dead hands... :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
For random but somewhat equal, I would just start with all stats at 8, then roll d6 for which stat increases by 2, do that 11 times. And then an extra roll to increase something by 1.

Increasing stat by 2 is because increasing by just 1 (but with double the dice) would mean more bell-curve which would mean more chance of everything ending up as 12. And also to avoid people getting a varying amount of odd values. Then, the extra roll is to get AN odd value in.

(and then hope everyone avoids rolling 12 12 12 12 12 11)
An interesting idea but it results in scores below the other methods, with this averaging only 11.83 per score or lower. Rolling 12 or 13 times would get you about the same as 4d6 drop low.

An interesting idea but it results in scores below the other methods, with this averaging only 11.83 per score or lower. Rolling 12 or 13 times would get you about the same as 4d6 drop low.
Yes, it's easy to pick your own power level with how many dice you put in. I was more aiming for standard array, anyway.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
A bloke going by Redrick came up with a method for point-buy-valid randomized stats...
I implemented it as a self-contained javascript, CSS, & HTML page.
I still use this and recommend it to my players

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Greetings all! In another thread I started, I made some quick assumptions, one of which was about the ability scores of the adventuring people (either PCs and NPCs).

I know that there are many styles and preferences, so I just wanted to do a fast survey: what would you deem "enough" for a PC to start adventuring? Not for a one shot, or a short campaign. Where would you draw the line, in 5E, about the playability of a PC, including considerations on the concept?

Obviously, the true minimum for a PC to start adventuring is 3s across the board, before initial modifiers.

Of course, no one's going to want or allow that 1 in 4738381338321616896 result (or a mere 1 in 101559956668416 result if rolling 3d6 instead of 4d6dl).

My preferred minimum is 8s across the board, before initial modifiers, which is why I prefer 2d6+6 for rolling stats to 3d6 or 4d6dl.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Since this is my first time seeing this zombie of a thread I'll say that within the last week I had a player get killed & come back with a new PC who has an eleven as their high roll. as a GM I have more room to give cool magic items to a character with lower stats than one with the elite array or better.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases