Minimum levels for prestige classes?

Glyfair

Explorer
Joshua Randall said:
www.crystalkeep.com

navigate to the D&D/d20 section
look for the files on PrC's (there's one for 3.0 and another for 3.5)
minimum class levels to enter each PrC are listed

Thanks, that's almost exactly what I was looking for (indeed, it has even more than I was looking for).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Glyfair said:
I don't think so. Most prestige classes are pretty simple, since they use skill ranks or BAB to create the minimum ceiling. Those are easy, and could be done with somewhat generic comments ("Any classes with the fighter attack progression can enter this class at level 6").

What you are left with are those classes designed to require multi-classing before you enter the class, or those that have abilities to set the minimum level (usually some sort of spell casting class). Some just require legwork (probably easiest if you limit yourself to a set number of products, WotC products would be probably easiest to start). Others could have commentary about argued points (the "Precocious Apprentice" feat has been argued to allow you to enter Mystic Theurge at 5th level, or "The militia feat has been argued to allow you to enter Eldritch Knight at Xth level").

Now, as I mentioned above, opening it up to all companies would more than likely be a headache. However, starting with WotC would give you some finite options. After that the list could potentially be expanded to the major companies products, possibly.

If I were to start doing something like this, I'd start with WotC products. In classes where it mattered, I would likely have a category for "core only," " all products" and "disputed points" (which I doubt would be too overwhelming, but I could be wrong).

Believe it or not, even things you think are locked in place, are not. For example, if some wacky player decides to play a Mind Flayer character, they can actually bust the max skill rank per level rule (by eating a brain I believe). Now is that a common thing? Of course not. But, there are exceptions to pretty much any rule, and compiling a list that doesn't account for those exceptions might not be what you are looking for. And when you get into the "spellcasting" and "racial" prestige classes, the headache becomes much worse because the exceptions increase.

Remove ads