Minor Houserules - Are they OK?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Well, just some minor houserules as we switch DMs. Just checking whether they're totally wrong or okay-ish. Bear in mind that our playing group is a bit smaller (we're four), so there are only three party members.

• After each encounter, you can either gain an action point or a healing surge. You cannot choose the same twice in a row. (Replaces current action point per milestone rule, mainly to prolong the adventuring day)
  • If a natural 20 rolled in on your first d20 roll in your turn, you regain a random encounter power you have used. (To break up the at-will slugs - it's more pronounced in smaller groups, as you notice that everyone slugs'em)
  • If a push/pull/slide effect would move a creature into an occupied square, it falls prone instead. (To make forced movement effects more interesting in cramped quarters)

Cheers, LT.

Last edited:

erf_beto

First Post
  • After each encounter, you can either gain an action point or a healing surge. You cannot choose the same twice in a row. (Replaces current action point per milestone rule, mainly to prolong the adventuring day)
Aside from the "did I get an action point or a healing surge last time?" questions that might come, I see no trouble here - but I was willing to rename both action points, healing surges, magic item powers, etc to Fate points or something anyway, so I think I'm biased... ;)

• On the first natural 20 rolled in your turn, you regain a random encounter power you have used. (To break up the at-will slugs - it's more pronounced in smaller groups, as you notice that everyone slugs'em)
I like it! As this might happen only once per encounter, I think it's a minor tweak that might not be noticed - but when it does happen, it will be a blast! :D

• If a push/pull/slide effect would move a creature into an occupied square, it falls prone instead. (To make forced movement effects more interesting in cramped quarters)
Love it! Do both creatures fall prone? You just reminded me of playing with Jean Grey in X-men legends: using telekinesis to grab an enemy and hurl it into another was really fun! :lol: I don't know if there's already a rule for this (and not every forced movement effect means hurling), but perhaps a fortitude attack to knock the "secondary target" - the unsuspecting victim - based on size of the "primary target" - the one being tossed - and how many squares of forced movement are left (if you can push 5, but move only 1, you'd have 4 more squares of "force"), say +1 per square. Heck, I'll be more fun to slide the furniture instead of the goblins :p

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Love it! Do both creatures fall prone?
Nah, only the creature moved - that simplifies it and should avoid making forced movement too good. Plus "occupied" also means walls and furniture, and I don't want prone walls! :p Though I'd certainly allow stunts done that way (aka the glorious table on pg. 42! ;) ).

Cheers, LT.

Starfox

Hero

Question; I healing surges a resource players ever get short of? So far, they havn't been in our games. When we run out of healing surges, we are mostly out of other resources as well.

Staffan

Legend
After each encounter, you can either gain an action point or a healing surge. You cannot choose the same twice in a row. (Replaces current action point per milestone rule, mainly to prolong the adventuring day)
I would include some other resource there as well (not sure what), to mix it up a little. Your rule basically just says that every other encounter you get an extra healing surge, since you only have two options and you can't take the same option twice in a row.

Milambus

First Post
I would include some other resource there as well (not sure what), to mix it up a little. Your rule basically just says that every other encounter you get an extra healing surge, since you only have two options and you can't take the same option twice in a row.

Add in the ability to recharge 1 daily power or item power.

I would probably leave the 1 milestone per two encounters alone though, and only gain these things at a milestone. Remember that non-combat encounters count towards milestones as well.

Alternatively, leave the 1 AP per milestone rule as normal. But add that a player can spend 1 AP to regain a healing surge and 2 AP to regain a daily power. They can only spend the AP in this fashion during a short rest.

Sphyre

First Post
  • On the first natural 20 rolled in your turn, you regain a random encounter power you have used. (To break up the at-will slugs - it's more pronounced in smaller groups, as you notice that everyone slugs'em)

This one favors certain classes. Classes that do more multiple target effects or in particular. The ranger with Twinstrike gets two attempts at getting an encounter power back, and a wizard with thunderwave or scorching burst can get exponentially higher chances of getting encounter powers back.

You might want to consider revising what regains the encounter power, to something that is not reliant on a factor that can be influenced by the player.

Gansk

Explorer
This one favors certain classes. Classes that do more multiple target effects or in particular. The ranger with Twinstrike gets two attempts at getting an encounter power back, and a wizard with thunderwave or scorching burst can get exponentially higher chances of getting encounter powers back.

You might want to consider revising what regains the encounter power, to something that is not reliant on a factor that can be influenced by the player.

How about a 20 on a save? Nobody wants to make multiple saves, and those that do are probably the ones who need a power boost the most.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Add in the ability to recharge 1 daily power or item power.
I thought of that, but dailies are a much more important and powerful resource than healing surges and action points, I don't think they should be given out this often. And I couldn't think of something similar. I could invent some extra resource, like a free +2 bonus on a single roll, but I wanted to stay within 4E's material.

This one favors certain classes. Classes that do more multiple target effects or in particular.
I thought of that... just formulated it wrong: I don't mean the first natural 20 in a turn, I meant a natural 20 on the first d20 roll in a turn. This way, no player gains more than a single chance to recharge his powers.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads