• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Minor illusion for advantage to attack?

keterys

First Post
How does this work?

I get the whole "distracting the enemy thing", but Help is not at range. It forces a PC (or NPC) to get in close. Giving Help with range with a cantrip seems a bit much. Maybe a +2 bonus, but Advantage? I can see a lot of abuse with that. Advantage is just that sweet.
Granting Advantage automatically at close range is already an automatic assumption: yay Help.

Going from there to it being possible to give Help at ranged is actually not much of a leap at all. At least, as long as doing so still _takes your action_. You could even put a real cost on it, like Advantage only on enemies that fail an Int save.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Granting Advantage automatically at close range is already an automatic assumption: yay Help.

Going from there to it being possible to give Help at ranged is actually not much of a leap at all. At least, as long as doing so still _takes your action_.
Actually, there is no down side for doing it from range as there is in melee.

Someone could not only do it from range, but they could do it from range with 3/4s cover.

I tend to think that Advantage is fairly potent as is with the ways that it can legitimately be acquired in the rules (i.e. specific special abilities or spells). Adding more ways tends to do things like water down Inspiration.

PC Fighter: "I don't need no stinking Inspiration, I have that Elf hireling cowering in the rocks back there for Inspiration."

You could even put a real cost on it, like Advantage only on enemies that fail an Int save.

I could buy into this for a given campaign. It then becomes "partial advantage" (because sometimes the ally gets advantage, sometimes he doesn't).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads