• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

mirror image

Oryan77

Adventurer
If a caster is under the effects of mirror image and another caster casts an area spell (say fireball) at the mirror imaged guy, do all images vanish? Is that concidered being struck?

Legildur

First Post
Ignore Hong :)

Have a close read of the description in the PHB and you'll see it actually describes how the figments react to area spells, using fireball as the example.

shilsen

Adventurer
What Legildur said. Area attacks don't destroy mirror images. They need to be individually targeted by damaging spells or weapons.

two

First Post
Ditch said:
Haha! That was awsome. Mind if I borrow that?

The trouble is, I don't think that is what even happened in Baldur's Gate.

(perhaps I am thinking of BGII).

I know in BGII mirror image worked the right way; if you were hit by a fireball, you got all burned looking -- as did the images, which were not dispelled.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Legildur said:
Have a close read of the description in the PHB and you'll see it actually describes how the figments react to area spells, using fireball as the example.
Yeah i understood how they react to area spells but I was confused because of the line "any successful attack against an image destroys it". I understand you have to target an image, but with an area effect spell like fireball, you aren't targeting your enemy but it's still a "successful attack".

It just threw me off. Thanks.

Jhulae

First Post
Oryan77 said:
Yeah i understood how they react to area spells but I was confused because of the line "any successful attack against an image destroys it". I understand you have to target an image, but with an area effect spell like fireball, you aren't targeting your enemy but it's still a "successful attack".

It just threw me off. Thanks.

But, is a fireball spell a successful *attack*? There's no attack roll involved in using area of effect spells. I think it's more like successful *damage*. And it's not being damaged that dispells the images, it's being attacked.

EDIT:
Of course, it's probably more correct to say that the reason is that AoE spells don't attack a *specific* target, as they swath an area with their effects. Mirror Image requries the caster to be *specifically* targeted by an attack or spell, not just caught in a 20' radius inferno (or whatever).

Last edited:

Oryan77

Adventurer
Jhulae said:
But, is a fireball spell a successful *attack*? There's no attack roll involved in using area of effect spells. I think it's more like successful *damage*. And it's not being damaged that dispells the images, it's being attacked.
Yeah, good way to make sense of it. Thanks :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads