• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miss chances...

boolean

Explorer
Scion said:
Displacement + Blink + Blur

interesting... ;)

Displacement and Blur are both miss chances due to concealment, so only the better of the two applies.

Blink is kind of partially due to concealment (a See Invisible or True Seeing reduces the miss chance to 20%) so as a DM I'd rule it as a 50% chance of missing due to concealment, and a separate 20% chance of missing due to the target blinking away at the last moment.

Stormrunner

Explorer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Like attacking a mirror-imaged ghost in a fog?

First, choose a target.

Then, roll to see whether or not the fog makes you miss.

If you've chosen the correct target, and didn't miss due to the fog, then roll to determine whether or not the ghost ignores the damage you do to it.

If you've chosen an incorrect target (an Image), and the fog doesn't make you miss, then ... Here, I would not allow the images the incorporeal effect of ignoring damage from a corporeal source. Someone else might.

"Any successful attack dispels an image." The attack doesn't have to do any damage - a successful Grapple, for example, would dispel an image. So you're correct, incorporeality would not apply to the images - it specifically negates damage, and damage is irrelevant to the image.

Stormrunner

Explorer
boolean said:
Displacement and Blur are both miss chances due to concealment, so only the better of the two applies.

Blink is kind of partially due to concealment (a See Invisible or True Seeing reduces the miss chance to 20%) so as a DM I'd rule it as a 50% chance of missing due to concealment, and a separate 20% chance of missing due to the target blinking away at the last moment.

Um, no, that works out to a combined miss chance of 60%. Math-wise, two miss chances of 29% would equal a single 50% miss chance, so call it 30% invisible, 30% incorporeal. But 3.5 wants to fit everything into the 20-40-50 progression, so they "rounded down" to 20%. A 40% + 20% combo also comes close (=52% miss chance).

Scion

First Post
boolean said:

Debateable given the wording ;)

Infiniti2000

First Post
boolean said:
Displacement is not necessarily concealment. The "as if" merely gives you some indication of how to run it, rather than duplicating a lot of text. The "unlike" explicitly shows that it's not concealment. Note that true seeing specifically does not negate concealment, so they had to explicitly mention that as well.

boolean said:
Note that a person with blink has concealment only in the one case where he is attacked by a creature that can strike into the ethereal plane. In all other cases, he does not have concealment and therefore those (undefined) miss chances "stack" with other miss chances.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads