D&D 4E Missing Domains?

dave2008

Legend
If you're discussing 5e domains instead of Pathfinder (I'm guessing this popped up here because this used to be a 3.e forum), a thing to remember is that domains in official 5e are much broader in scope than those of earlier editions. Stuff like Birth and Fertility would be covered by the Life or Nature domain.
They definitely could be, but people have made 3pp products that are relevant to the discussion and WotC continues to expand the list of domains,

dave2008

Legend
For me the domain of the not really used for adventuring magic... is rituals. They can influence and be part of the defining nature of the world and its flavor. They are also mor authentic to most legend and myth.
I agree, I think for my next campaign I may limit more spells to rituals and/or scrolls.

Tallifer

Hero
There seems to be a lack of variety and authenticity among clerical domains. I think there are lots of things we need domains for, like Birth, Disease, Fertility, Justice, things there are plenty of gods for, but few if any spells. I would like to see a Motherhood domain. Every pantheon has a mother goddess, most have several, but is there a spell to ease labour pains? Is there a spell to fertilise parched soil or save a harvest from a storm? Seems like some area are lacking... Suggestions?

What you simply need to do is write up some Rituals for your campaign (or character subject to your dungeon master's approval). Almost all out-of-combat stuff is covered by Skills and Rituals in 4E. No need to create a list of Powers for another Domain, especially since most Powers even Utilities are for use in the 5 minutes of an Encounter whether Combat or Skill Challenge. Blessing crops and midwifing babies sounds like ritualistic magic.

EDIT: I see others have already suggested this. :)

Remove ads