D&D 3E/3.5 Mixing PF with 3.5

Queranil

First Post
Hey

I recently read the PF corebook and the conversion guide and so my interest was peaked. Without wanting to switch at once to PF, I was wondering if some elements can be introduced into D&D 3.5 without much trouble, or would that cause too many problems?

One thing I liked about Pathfinder was the new skill list (listen and spot become perception etc).

And if I decide to switch to pathfinder, what's your experience with using added materials from 3.5 (like classes from other sourcers, campaign settings etc)? I'd like your oppinions and experiences with it.

So in effect, I'm asking you to tell me what you like/dislike about pathfinder compared to 3.5.

Thanks!

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
You can definitely incorporate Pathfinder elements into 3.5, they work fairly well, I'd recommend some of the spell changes to. If you go over to PF I would recommend against using 3.5 material, the numerous splat books just produce too many possible breakable options. And PF really does not lead it the core rulebook and Advanced Players Guide offer a nice selection of options which will hopefully be expanded with more consideration - Paizo certainly do more play testing than WoTC.

Dark Mistress

First Post
I have used plenty of 3.5 stuff with Pathfinder. Some requires pretty much no work, some only minor work(the largest group), while a few things take a bit of work.

So if you are willing to do a little work when you need to, then you can use most everything.

pawsplay

Hero
Static XP, the skill system, revised favored class, and the revised Fighter and Sorcerer are easy and, I feel, very worthwhile drop-ins.

concerro

Explorer
Hey

I recently read the PF corebook and the conversion guide and so my interest was peaked. Without wanting to switch at once to PF, I was wondering if some elements can be introduced into D&D 3.5 without much trouble, or would that cause too many problems?

One thing I liked about Pathfinder was the new skill list (listen and spot become perception etc).

And if I decide to switch to pathfinder, what's your experience with using added materials from 3.5 (like classes from other sourcers, campaign settings etc)? I'd like your oppinions and experiences with it.

So in effect, I'm asking you to tell me what you like/dislike about pathfinder compared to 3.5.

Thanks!

I allow 3.5 stuff in my games, but it is on a per case basis. What works for one group won't work for a different group. If your players ask for something, and you are not sure tell them they can try it out, but if you don't like it that you may take it away so they have a backup plan. You can also post the specific idea here so players can tell you about their experience with it. There are not too many things that are too powerful for every group, but there are a lot of things than can be hard to deal with for newer players and DM's.

I think pathfinder is more streamlined. There a some rule changes that will catch you off guard. I have been using for a little over a year, and it took a while for me to get every rule change down.
Overall I think Pathfinder is the better system.

Remove ads