MMORPGs death of RPG

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Nathal said:
How many of you have had your campaigns fail due to MMORPGs? I'm curious.

I have not. In our group, I'm the only one that plays them. I can't imagine playing either of them so much that I wouldn't have time or inclination for tabletop gaming.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Greylock stole my thunder. But the experience I have first hand is that it was the Baldur's Gate computer games that got a number of people interested playing PnP RPGs. Though they like the computer graphics, they all say the PnP "worlds" are much more satisfying.

Last edited:

Talmun

First Post
Nathal said:
How many of you have had your campaigns fail due to MMORPGs? I'm curious.

I've never heard of it happening, and I know lots of people who play both.

I myself have been playing City of Heroes for about a year, I simply view it as another gaming outlet, another facet of the hobby (and no, City of Heroes is not better than D&D).

MacMathan

Explorer
Well I guess I will be the first to admit that WoW has induced about a 3 month hiatus in my current campaign.

We still all play together online and are in the same guild. Plus with the advent of laptops and wireless broadband we will often gather a few of us under one roof the play WoW.

I expect a return to the table to occur in the next 2-3 months but for now WoW has its claws into my group and we are loving it for the most part.

Farrigan

First Post
I'm pretty sure WOW was responsible for about 70% of my last campaign's death. (We lost one player when his job changed, that contributed too. )

As adults with full time jobs, families etc... play time was at a minimum.
When it was reduced to a choice of either RPG or WOW, WOW apparently came out on top.
WOW is more convinient, no scheduling required, most my plays were cruncher-number chasers.

I personally loath WOW -- very boring for me. But the rest of the group loves it.

hawkwing2k5

First Post
In the group that I have started to game with are all EQII players we play on-line when life allows but we also PnP together. Come to think of it we do almost everything together kinda like being in the Mob. :\ :cool: No outsiders at all

Nathal

Explorer
So for most, MMORPGs are a "gateway drug". Heh.

But it seems, as has been the theme here, that the older we get, and as more responsibilities are heaped upon us, MMORPGS are a backup but inferior game to most.

And me? I have no patience with any form of game outside the pure table-top PnP RPG. Nothing else can or will ever come close to the entertainment value of that medium, assuming good players. I figure if an RPG can suck me in, a guy who can't stand boardgames or card games for very long, then it must be something special.

Farrigan said:
I'm pretty sure WOW was responsible for about 70% of my last campaign's death. (We lost one player when his job changed, that contributed too. )

As adults with full time jobs, families etc... play time was at a minimum.
When it was reduced to a choice of either RPG or WOW, WOW apparently came out on top.
WOW is more convinient, no scheduling required, most my plays were cruncher-number chasers.

I personally loath WOW -- very boring for me. But the rest of the group loves it.

We had a player who had no job playing EQ and was in a guild also along with running our group through a PnP EQ game then his Guild needed him instead of his Friday night gaming group. On top of that he did not call us to let us know that his guild needed him. Which I knew was a crock since he was in the biggest guild in EQ.
I turned disenchanted with the games, now with WoW I'm still disenchanted with that game and really like EQII and I'm glad they are not planning on converting it to the MAC format but I do get to play when I'm over at one of my friends house since he has a slot dedicated for a my character for SOLOing and the next time I'm over there we planned on creating characters together for the original EQ since he has two accounts for EQ.
We have ideas for Dwarven brothers and planned on adventuring together since the Mac format would not be allowed on the original servers.

Remove ads