• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modern Military House Rules And Extras

Hinthas

Explorer
At Khorod's suggestion, I'm starting a "related" military post.

It’s occurred to me that while I’ve done quite a lot of problem spotting, I haven’t begun to suggest any likely solutions. So, it’s my attempt to suggest many solutions to multiple problems. I’ll be referencing multiple sources verbatim, paraphrasing others, and some stuff I’m just making up. I’m presenting this to all for the good of the game. I hope you can use some part of this.

Here are some possible solutions to obstacles I’ve noticed in the game.

1) A believable TRAINING with explanations.
2) Realistic PROMOTION process
3) Recognizing the actions of the character with AWARDS
4) The option to advance enlisted characters through NCO schools
5) A possible solution of an OCS school

Here’s to training…

BARE BONES

WK 1

Day 1 SALUTE report / React to Mines and Booby traps

Day 2 Rifle range / Grenade range

Day 3 Personnel search and seizure / Resist torture

Day 4 Grenade Launcher / Pistol 9mm

Day 5 Bare Bones FTX 1

WK 2

Day 1 First aid / Moving wounded personnel

Day 2 Combative / Knife fighting

Day 3 Flora and Fauna / Calling ARTY support

Day 4 CIENER "Master key" shotgun / Explosives

Day 5 Bare Bones FTX 2

SALUTE report: Size, Activity, Location, Unit or Uniform, Time or Terrain, and Equipment. This report should use the Gather Information skill and is usually sent to the unit HQ element (Team Leader, Task Force Cdr, SGC).

React to Mines and Booby traps: see SG core book pgs: 397, 437 - 439

Rifle range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for rifles are as follows:

PRONE SUPPORTED - 50M @ 0 DC, 75M @ 0 DC, 100M @ 5 DC, 125M @ 5 DC, 150M @ 5 DC, 175M @ 10 DC, 200M @ 10 DC, 250M @ 10 DC, 275M @ 15 DC, 300M @ 15 DC. X 2 (this means in a "foxhole”)

PRONE UNSUPPORTED - 50M @ 2 DC, 75M @ 2 DC, 100M @ 7 DC, 125M @ 7 DC, 150M @ 7 DC, 175M @ 12 DC, 200M @ 12 DC, 250M @ 12 DC, 275M @ 17 DC, 300M @ 17 DC. X 2 (this means flat on the ground with no forward support for the weapon.)

The total number of targets shot will be forty. Add the totals of both iterations and score them. Totals 24-30 are Marksman, 31-36 is Sharpshooter, and 37-40 is Expert.

Grenade range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for grenades are as follows:

Engage four 5ft area targets ranged 15M @ 10 DC.

The total number of targets engaged will be four. Grenade scores are: ¼ NO/GO retry, 2/4 Marksman, ¾ Sharpshooter, 4/4 Expert.

Personnel Search and Seizure: see SG core book pgs: 229-230

CONCENTRATION: Resist Torture (Trained Only)
Centering the mind and maintaining focus are key strategies in resisting torture or other means of forceful coercion. When trying to resist torture, a character with at least one rank in Concentration may make a Concentration check against DC 20. If the roll is successful, the character may add the margin of success as a bonus to his Will Save to resist giving in to his captors. This bonus is applicable to resiting the coercive effects of the Goa'uld Ribbin Device.
Though any character can normally make a Concentration check untrained, this use of the skill is only possible for characters who possess at least one rank in the skill.

Grenade Launcher range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for Grenade Launcher are as follows:

Engage eight 5ft area targets at the following ranges.
UNSUPPORTED – 100M @ 15 DC, 150M @ 10 DC, 200M @ 10 DC, 250M @ 10 DC, 300M @ 10 DC, 350M @ 10 DC, 400M @ 10 DC, 450M @ 15 DC

The total number of targets engaged will be eight. Grenade Launcher scores are: 4/8 Marksman, 6/8 Sharpshooter, and 8/8 Expert.

Bare Bones FTX 1: The various FTX’s (Field Training Exercises) are a culmination of the prior weeks training and can also reflect subjects learned in previous training weeks. All FTX’s are not scripted to allow for GM control but should reflect learned training. Any of the training can be skills already known or inspiration checks.

First aid: see SG core book pgs: 138, 190, 210-211, and 214.

Moving wounded personnel: see SG core book pgs: 286

Here an example that I did with my buddy Kim.

He has a Navy SEAL named Carl "Rock" Rockridge. His SEAL is an enlisted E-3 and a lvl 1 scout.

PT TEST
His SEAL has a combined score of 44 when I added his STR, DEX, and CON scores. All of the attributes are used in the "REAL" when doing a real world PT test.

STR 15
DEX 14
CON 15
Equals 44

I started with a flat point total (120) and progressed points on the roll of a d20.

Roll of + 120 pts:
1-5 = 0 (00) = 120 pts (does not pass PT test, are you even alive?)
6-7 = .5 (22) = 142 pts (does not pass PT test, tired, hungover, sick)
8-9 = 1 (44) = 164 pts (does not pass PT test, see above, not trying hard enough)
10-11 = 1.5 (66) = 186 pts (pass PT test, just barely troop! Paperwork WILL follow!)
12-13 = 2 (88) = 206 pts (pass PT test, this does not look good, try harder YOU!!!)
14-15 = 2.5 (110) = 230 pts (pass PT test,spend a little more time in the gym, fella.)
16-17 = 3 (132) = 252 pts (pass PT test, Not bad, could be better though.)
18-19 = 3.5 (154) = 274 pts (pass PT test, Good job, have a three day pass.)
20 = 4 (176) = 296 pts (pass PT test, Great job !, schools and promotions coming your way.)

Kim rolled a 16. He scored 252 pts on his PT test.

WEAPONS QUAL
Rifle range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for rifles are as follows:

PRONE SUPPORTED - 50M @ 0 DC, 75M @ 0 DC, 100M @ 5 DC, 125M @ 5 DC, 150M @ 5 DC, 175M @ 10 DC, 200M @ 10 DC, 250M @ 10 DC, 275M @ 15 DC, 300M @ 15 DC. X 2 (this means in a "foxhole”)

PRONE UNSUPPORTED - 50M @ 2 DC, 75M @ 2 DC, 100M @ 7 DC, 125M @ 7 DC, 150M @ 7 DC, 175M @ 12 DC, 200M @ 12 DC, 250M @ 12 DC, 275M @ 17 DC, 300M @ 17 DC. X 2 (this means flat on the ground with no forward support for the weapon.)

The total number of targets shot will be forty. Add the totals of both iterations and score them. Totals 24-30 are Marksman, 31-36 is Sharpshooter, and 37-40 is Expert.

Thrown Grenade range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for grenades are as follows:

Engage four 5ft area targets ranged 15M @ 10 DC.

The total number of targets engaged will be four. Grenade scores are: ¼ NO/GO retry, 2/4 Marksman, ¾ Sharpshooter, 4/4 Expert.

Grenade Launcher range: This is for the purpose of gaining familiarity with weapon and for the GM to designate a Qualification Badge for added detail to the game. For skill use after training, use the weapon feat(s) or skill associated with this action. Qualification ranges for Grenade Launcher are as follows:

Engage eight 5ft area targets at the following ranges.
UNSUPPORTED – 100M @ 15 DC, 150M @ 10 DC, 200M @ 10 DC, 250M @ 10 DC, 300M @ 10 DC, 350M @ 10 DC, 400M @ 10 DC, 450M @ 15 DC

The total number of targets engaged will be eight. Grenade Launcher scores are: 4/8 Marksman, 6/8 Sharpshooter, and 8/8 Expert.

BADGES AND MEDALS

With any of these scores, I've assigned a point value for different qualification totals:
SCORE EFFECT
Failure to qualify : 0 pts +0 on Promo checks
Marksman : 0 pts +0 on Promo checks until next rank
Sharpshooter: 1 pts +1 on Promo checks until next rank
Expert: 2 pts +2 on Promo checks until next rank

Here's a quote out of the Blood and Guts book pertaining to medals from page 49.
"As characters gain skill and perform heroic deeds, they will be granted medals, commendations, and badges to recognize their service to their country."

And another one from the same page.
"A medal check is rolled on a d20, modified by your charisma modifier, along with specific criteria listed under the medal itself. Medals may not be awarded unless you could actually meet or exceed the DC on a roll of 20 or less ( in other words, a natural 20 is not an automatic success)."

There are more medals and criteria in the book, these are some examples that fit the format.

MEDAL EFFECT
AAM (DC 14) +1 on Promo checks until next rank
ARCOM (DC 16) +2 on Promo checks until next rank, +1 on future checks

We had a successful adventure and medals were awarded (after successful criteria checks) to deserving characters. Kim's guy being one of them. He received an AAM or Army Achievement Medal (the CO was an ARMY officer).

PROMOTIONS
Lets look at Kim's SEAL again, Rock. I'm thinking about promoting him. According to the promotion check formula in the Blood and Guts book:

Promotion Check = 1d20 + CHA Mod + 1/2 lvl + misc bonus.
Character meets or exceeds the check for the Promotion DC.
May not advance more than one rank per lvl.

this is how I'm going to approach the process.
KIM: +1 (CHA mod)
+.5 (1/2 lvl)
+1 (Sharpshooter on M-4 weapons qual)
+2 (Expert on Thrown Grenade)
+0 (Marksman on Grenade Launcher)
+3 (PT test score)
+1 (AAM
Equals 8.5

Kim rolls a 10. That plus his 8.5 is an 18.5. He needed to beat a DC 17 for promotion to Petty Officer third class (E-4)

NCO SCHOOLS
(see the B & G pg 45)

OCS
(see the B & G pg 45)

HERE'S A LONG WINDED SOLUTION

With all the training listed, this would allow for characters that turned down the "offer" to explore other "RAINBOW SIX" type mission. Or playing with the guys in the CIA or any other alphabet organization...like the NID. Hmmm...

Ft Bragg

Wk 1
Day 1 Welcome Brief / Assign Quarters
Day 2 Equip Issue / First Aid
Day 3 Read Military Map / Radio Procedures
Day 4 Weapon Issue and Familiarization / Threats and ROE
Day 5 Range: M-4 Rifle / Grenades

Wk 2
Day 1 Salute Report / Camouflage and OCOKA
Day 2 React to: Mines and Boobytraps / React to: Ambush and Snipers
Day 3 Patrolling with checkpoints / MOUT
Day 4 Personnel Search / Law of War
Day 5 FTX: Snatch and Grab with checkpoints

Camp Mackall

Wk 3
Day 1 Mv to Cp Mackall / Assign Qtrs / Equip Issue
Day 2 Negotiation / Insurgency
Day 3 Range: Masterkey Shotgun / Grenade Launcher
Day 4 Flora and Fauna / Set snares and Fishing Traps
Day 5 FTX: Recover the Kermit with checkpoints

Wk 4
Day 1 FAV familiarization / FAV maintenance
Day 2 Combatives / Knife Fighting
Day 3 Field Craft
Day 4 Call for Arty Fire / 9 Line Medivac Request
Day 5 FTX: Son Tay Raid

MacDill AFB

Wk 5
Day 1 Mv to MacDill AFB / Assign Qtrs / Equip Issue
Day 2 Drown Proofing / Snorkel Basics
Day 3 Zodiac Boat and familiarization / Buoy Races
Day 4 Rescue Drowning Swimmer / CPR
Day 5 Kayak familiarization / Buoy Races
Day 6 Water Range: 9mm Pistol submerged / Disable water craft with explosives.

Wk 6
Day 1 Hydrography / Beachline Surveys
Day 2 S.C.U.B.A.
Day 3 Water Infiltration / Water Craft Seizure
Day 4 Aquatic and Low land Cuisine
Day 5 FTX: Stoner's Revenge
Day 6 FTX: Stoner's Revenge

Ft Bragg

Wk 7
Day 1 Mv to Ft Bragg / Assign Qtrs / Equip Issue
Day 2 Noise, Light, and Litter Discipline
Day 3 Resist Torture / SERE
Day 4 Field Expedient Techniques / Improvisation
Day 5 POW Survival

Wk 8
FTX:Robin Sage

A few things need to be addressed in the training plan. The various FTX's (field training exercises) are a culmination of the prior week's training and can also require subjects learned in previous training weeks. All FTX's are not scipted to allow for GM control but should reflect learned training.
Any of the training can be skills already known or inspiration checks.

The Snatch and Grab FTX is the first experience with a current SG member that does not reveal himself. This member is there to do an initial eval of the characters while serving as the function being the Target. Remember the first scene of the movie Air Force One? This is the concept of the mission.

Recover the Kermit FTX is a mission designed for the team to discreetly infiltrate an area, get an item, and get out. QUIETLY!

The Son Tay Raid FTX is designed for the players to get involved in the planning process of recovering POW's (more SG team members) at an existing ramshackle prison but too much planning can backfire and the POW's will be moved to another location and "disappear".

Stoner's Revenge FTX is designed for the characters to experience "Brown Water" Navy techniques and start a mission with only the rubber training knives and progressively work their way up to bigger and better toys. Any of Richard Marcinko's Seal Team Books would be good fodder here.

The Robin Sage FTX is meant to have the characters as POW's and see what their reactions would be. How long do the stay? Do they contract some sort of sickness (Beri-beri)? Do they break out? Who do they contact? Are they able to liberate the other POW's in the facility? How many can they evac out? Does the facility get leveled with a good Arty strike before enemy replacements can show up?

Its up to the GM to direct the "HOW'S" of the training missions. In my game, my OPFOR is a RED SCORPION faction that speaks nothing but LATIN. They are all armed with communist bloc weaopns and equipment. The Latin language allows for the characters to have an "inside edge" and possibly tip the hand of the OPFOR in the favor of the characters. GO GO Gadget Enigma machine!

I peruse many d20 sites and feel compelled to share my findings/droppings with the audience to allow them more of a selection. I'm using a thread on toxins I found on one of the other boards to simulate the effects of the chemical agent BZ from 'Nam.(The movie Jacob's Ladder is an example of this):

The team horribly failed its mission with Tribe X from planet P4-XYZ and the locals got INCREDIBLY hostile. One of the marines from the security element (that never said a word) loaded up his M203 grenade launcher with ammo I've never seen before and pumped a few rounds into the center of the males in the tribe. The rounds just kinda popped and sprayed some sort of aerosol everywhere.

Then all the tribal males went crazy and started beating each other to a bloody pulp and worse. The tribal females weren't any better off cuz a few of the males went to violently raping them. It was horrible.

The marine commander continued to hurry everyone towards the gate and left a few snipers and spotters behind. We stayed at the gate a few hours and then the marine sniper team came back. I overheard them laughingly tell the commander that they didn't have to shoot anyone. Everyone had died from their injuries or heart failure from the BZ. The area was secured for the next step of the Operation.

It was then the Marine commander looked at me and cheerfully said that I was free to do all the research I wanted. I left my lunch on his boots and dialed up the gate.

Last edited:

Hinthas

Explorer
Some story for a "quasi" military organization.

ROMAN INTERNATIONAL Inc

All good things come to those who wait.

Yeah? Maybe if you want to die penniless and destitute. Thank the gods for greed, or at least capitalism. Vigorous capitalism.

The very same executive order that gave a wretched birth to the CIA, had also fathered a twin organization. For years, the said organization only had a file number in the Department of Energy and was equivalent to a strategic fund. President Truman inherited the entity and made it his personal hobby gun club. He had seen its importance from his own experience in France during World War I as a captain in the Field Artillery. There was a need for some sort of quasi "off the books" military research.

In June 1950, when the Communist government of North Korea attacked South Korea, Truman conferred promptly with his military advisers. There was, he wrote, "complete, almost unspoken acceptance on the part of everyone that whatever had to be done to meet this aggression had to be done. There was no suggestion from anyone that either the United Nations or the United States could back away from it."

Now the child had a legitimate purpose. Military advisers had been brought in and were told to design a firm to exploit possible applications and manage "security" projects at home and abroad with upcoming weapons research. To keep this infant alive, he needed a lifeline. Medicinal and Automobile firms were acquired under various War Powers acts for the war effort overseas and unfortunately the title paperwork and deeds for these businesses "disappeared after the war.

Then in Eisenhower's administration, the unthinkable happened...

The President proposed that the United States and Russia exchange blueprints of each other's military establishments and "provide within our countries facilities for aerial photography to the other country." The Russians greeted the proposal with silence, but were so cordial throughout the meetings that tensions relaxed.

Eisenhower concentrated on maintaining world peace. He watched with pleasure the development of his "atoms for peace" program--the loan of American uranium to "have not" nations for peaceful purposes.

He urged the necessity of maintaining an adequate military strength, but cautioned that vast, long-continued military expenditures could breed potential dangers to our way of life.

And with that, the program was hamstringed and struggled to fend off the GAO for reasons of "redundancy". It wasn't killed though and even managed vague prosperity in some of the pharmaceutical and automobile firms it acquired for this contingency. Granted they weren't the giants like Grumman or Lockheed but they would exercise the strengths they did have. Which was on the ground. Its obscurity let it live through WW2, gained management during Korea, and was allowed to develop in pre-war Vietnam. The agency remembered it had an older twin and the two of them played internally and with other countries.

The older firm had in its infrastructure many naval officers, which were combat veterans. Often times, grudges are born in war and they continue years after the battle’s end. Smart officers can hide these passions and did in support of defending the US against the Domino Theory happening overseas. These required many different approaches and the means to support all of it. The agency had learned once making its records available for govt oversight had been extremely hazardous to its health and would NEVER allow it to happen again.

The air mobility firm named Air America was born along with good willed subcontracting firms like Doctors Without Borders during this time. They operated in war-torn places like the old French colonies in Vietnam, the busy port in Hong Kong, former vacation locales in Cuba, and the undeveloped countries of Africa and South and Central America. It seemed like everyone in the CIA at this time was a: Doctor, Pilot, or Advisor. Mysteriously, they’d “ran out” of spies. Someone at one time had jokingly mentioned that the younger agency was bringing civility like the old Roman Empire. And the name stuck, with a slight modification. It would take a page from old and make it new. Roman International, or RI for short, would now be its namesake.

One of the families of a pharmaceutical company owned by Roman International, Quayle, wanted to exert more involvement in the philanthropic efforts of the govt and thought the Doctors Without Borders program was an excellent outlet to do this kind of work. An undisclosed amount of money went into various research programs ran by the company and benefits were reaped for many different projects.

With every large company, manpower is always an issue. Because the twin organizations had different experiences in maturing, obviously there were two different schools of thought on the “right sort” of people for the job. The CIA had its “traditional” folks, the Ivy Leaguers or Old Money, in mind. Roman International felt having a radical approach or think tank was more realistic and focused its attention on Berkley. Many research projects were explored and some even gained public notice like MK-ULTRA. But both organizations quickly flooded the presses with multiple cover stories and vigorously faded off public radar into obscurity. There were multiple conflicts to benefit from.

Shortly after his inauguration, Kennedy permitted a band of Cuban exiles, already armed and trained (courtesy of RI), to invade their homeland. The attempt to overthrow the regime of Fidel Castro was a failure. Russians sought to install nuclear missiles in Cuba. When this was discovered by air reconnaissance in October 1962, Kennedy imposed quarantine on all offensive weapons bound for Cuba. While the world trembled on the brink of nuclear war, the Russians backed down and agreed to take the missiles away. The American response to the Cuban crisis evidently persuaded Moscow of the futility of nuclear blackmail.

Kennedy now contended that both sides had a vital interest in stopping the spread of nuclear weapons and slowing the arms race--a contention that led to the test ban treaty of 1963 and anti-legislature towards the CIA and RI. The months after the Cuban crisis showed significant progress toward his goal of "a world of law and free choice, banishing the world of war and coercion." His administration thus saw the beginning of new hope for both the equal rights of Americans and the peace of the world.

The fledgling Roman International had heard that tune before. Then the axe wielding GAO came courtesy of Eisenhower. It was time to resuscitate some monsters.

"What can it do?" asked a Senator from Texas. His ambitions were not too well known at the time. “Whatever you’d like, MR. PRESIDENT. We just need an umbrella for a little time and a place to play afterwards. You will not be mentioned.” And so it went.

"A Great Society" for the American people and their fellow men elsewhere was the vision of Lyndon B. Johnson. In his first years of office he obtained passage of one of the most extensive legislative programs in the Nation's history. Maintaining collective security, he carried on the rapidly growing struggle to restrain Communist encroachment in Viet Nam. For a majority of this, RI was right alongside and manufactured many of the various toys needed for these means.
Under Johnson, the country made spectacular explorations of space in a program he had championed since its start. When three astronauts successfully orbited the moon in December 1968, Johnson congratulated them: "You've taken ... all of us, all over the world, into a new era. . .. " Many at Roman International wept tears of joy to see some of their products support this patriotic endeavor.

Despite Johnson's efforts to end Communist aggression and achieve a settlement, fighting continued. Controversy over the war had become acute by the end of March 1968, when he limited the bombing of North Viet Nam in order to initiate negotiations. This did not go over well in the factories and offices of Roman International. Thousands of employees at RI felt they got the short end of the stick and began open discussions on “follow up” procedures. Johnson startled the world by withdrawing as a candidate for re-election so that he might devote his full efforts, unimpeded by politics, to the quest for peace.

“Nixon’s accomplishments while in office included revenue sharing, the end of the draft, new anticrime laws, and a broad environmental program. Some of his most acclaimed achievements came in his quest for world stability. During visits in 1972 to Beijing and Moscow, he reduced tensions with China and the U.S.S.R. In January 1973, he announced an accord with North Viet Nam to end American involvement in Indochina. In 1974, his Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger, negotiated disengagement agreements between Israel and its opponents, Egypt and Syria.”

All of this was one upset after another for Roman International.

Revenue Sharing: Nixon dipped into everyone’s pocket equally. Problem was some departments could afford more than others and again RI was made near lame.

New Anticrime Laws: While not “specifically aimed” at Roman International, it managed to target over half of the businesses ran by Roman International and audits came by the truckload.

Broad Environmental Programs: RI owned some of the more profitable (yet polluting) businesses in Detroit, the northeast, and northwest areas.

Quest for World Stability? End Involvement in Vietnam? Disengagement between Israel and it Opponents?: There was entirely too much opportunity for diplomacy and financial growth to ignore and he was willing to give it up to be a “nice guy”.

This would not do. Something HAD to be done.

Within a few months, his administration was embattled over the so-called "Watergate" scandal, stemming from a break-in at the offices of the Democratic National Committee during the 1972 campaign. The break-in was traced to officials of the Committee to Re-elect the President. A number of administration officials resigned; some were later convicted of offenses connected with efforts to cover up the affair. Nixon denied any personal involvement, but the courts forced him to yield tape recordings that indicated that he had, in fact, tried to divert the investigation.

As a result of unrelated scandals in Maryland, Vice President Spiro T. Agnew resigned in 1973. Nixon nominated, and Congress approved, House Minority Leader Gerald R. Ford as Vice President.

Faced with what seemed almost certain impeachment, Nixon announced on August 8, 1974, that he would resign the next day to begin "that process of healing which is so desperately needed in America."

In foreign affairs, Ford acted vigorously to maintain U. S. power and prestige after the collapse of Cambodia and South Viet Nam. This meant that the President understood the necessity of Roman International’s supportive role and would turn a blind eye to the “money making” operations. Anything that did not take away from his budget and occasionally added to it could be forgiven.

Preventing a new war in the Middle East remained a major objective; by providing aid to both Israel and Egypt, the Ford Administration helped persuade the two countries to accept an interim truce agreement. This arrangement allowed for RI to turn a profit as well as secured a harmonious relationship with president.

Carter worked hard to combat the continuing economic woes of inflation and unemployment. By the end of his administration, he could claim an increase of nearly eight million jobs and a decrease in the budget deficit, measured in percentage of the gross national product. “Coincidentally”, two million folks that had worked for various entities of Roman International had found themselves no longer employed. Hmmm. Turnabout is fair play though.

The seizure as hostages of the U. S. embassy staff in Iran dominated the news during the last 14 months of the Carter administration. The consequences of Iran's holding Americans captive, together with continuing inflation at home, contributed to Carter's defeat in 1980. Even then, he continued the difficult negotiations over the hostages.

About that time, a short oilman with big ears from Texas assembled roughly a hundred former Roman International employees. The employees came from various fields and occupations and were capable of supporting an “engagement” overseas. Sort of a Prism or Rainbow of sorts. The recommended skills requirement came to the oilman from a friend that was once an employee of RI’s twin agency. As luck would have it, the former employee also had an important future and dynasty ahead of him. Iran finally released the 52 Americans the same day Carter left office.

In foreign policy, Reagan sought to achieve "peace through strength." Behind closed doors, the Gipper was incredibly pleased with the overall actions of these “Rainbow” warriors and the funding flowed again in the direction of Roman International. During his two terms he increased defense spending 35 percent, but sought to improve relations with the Soviet Union.

Reagan declared war against international terrorism, sending American bombers against Libya after evidence came out that Libya was involved in an attack on American soldiers in a West Berlin nightclub. Some of the American soldiers killed were being sought out by RI to add a fresh perspective and direction on European environments and training.

Roman International had materially and doctrinally supported many of the operations performed by its twin agency by providing supplies and researched procedures. On following up on some of these procedures, the intelligence community was able to gain considerable insight on the workings of the Middle Eastern region. One particular insight was how a majority of the Arab world in general was still very resentful about the OPEC situation in the 1970’s. After extreme scrutiny of many intelligence leads, RI deduced that a like situation was soon to happen again. By ordering naval escorts in the Persian Gulf, he maintained the free flow of oil during the Iran-Iraq war.

In keeping with the Reagan Doctrine, he gave support to anti-Communist insurgencies in Central America, Asia, and Africa. Just like in the earlier days and again all of this was organized through RI. Then some of our agents got a little careless and suddenly IRAN-CONTRA scandal was a household word. It was again time to flood the presses with a cover story to take attention away from what was really going on.

“How about a monkey that bites people and causes a worldwide illness that conveniently gets rid of the immoral and degenerates of society?”

“Whose gonna buy that load of crap?”

“Who knows? You got anything better? No? Lets run with this then.”

In 1980 Bush campaigned for the Republican nomination for President. He lost, but was chosen as a running mate by Ronald Reagan. As Vice President, Bush had responsibility in several domestic areas, including Federal deregulation and anti-drug programs, and visited scores of foreign countries. In an unspoken move, he informed Roman International to clean up their act, severe their Asian ties, and stop marketing heroin. We needed a clean slate now and couldn’t afford any “mishaps” if RI still wanted to be part of the program. Business opportunities were about to fall out of the Middle Eastern skies and just keep our noses clean.

One hand washes the other. In 1988 Bush won the Republican nomination for President and, with Senator Dan Quayle of Indiana as his running mate, he defeated Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis in the general election. In other areas of foreign policy, President Bush sent American troops into Panama to overthrow the corrupt regime of General Manuel Noriega, who was threatening the security of the canal and the Americans living there. Noriega was brought to the United States for trial as a drug trafficker.

Championing the cause of Kuwaiti freedom and repelling the aged Domino Theory monster, President Bush secured a chunk of the Middle East in about 100 hours. After the big guys, Roman International was the next biggest defense contractor to field toys in the desert.

At the time, many countries believed again the US was following the imperialism concept laid out a while ago by Teddy Roosevelt. Never mind the incidental fact that a majority of the WORLD’S oil supplies is under those very sands. Mere coincidence. Men and Countries feel the most pain in their wallets. Bush Sr is an educated man, former Naval officer, and at one time the director of the CIA. He knows this

Despite unprecedented popularity from this military and diplomatic triumph, Bush was unable to withstand discontent at home from a faltering economy, rising violence in inner cities, and continued high deficit spending. In 1992 he lost his bid for reelection to Democrat William Clinton.

In 1998, as a result of issues surrounding personal indiscretions with a young woman White House intern, Clinton was the second U.S. president to be impeached by the House of Representatives. He was tried in the Senate and found not guilty of the charges brought against him. He apologized to the nation for his actions and continued to have unprecedented popular approval ratings for his job as president. In the world, he successfully dispatched peacekeeping forces to war-torn Bosnia and bombed Iraq when Saddam Hussein stopped United Nations inspections for evidence of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons.

REALITY SHIFT

In the real world, this happened.

Bush Jr
The attacks of September 11th changed America - and in President Bush's words, "in our grief and anger we have found our mission and our moment." President Bush declared war against terror and has made victory in the war on terrorism and the advance of human freedom the priorities of his Administration. Already, the United States military and a great coalition of nations have liberated the people of Afghanistan from the brutal Taliban regime and denied al Qaeda its safe haven of operations. Thousands of terrorists have been captured or killed and operations have been disrupted in many countries around the world. In the President's words, "our Nation - this generation - will lift a dark threat of violence from our people and our future. We will rally the world to this cause by our efforts, by our courage. We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail."

In the gaming world:

Marshall became president.
Lands not governed by the US fall under title of “Foreign Soil” and are deemed accessible by the CIA and other Defense entities (Roman International) to include territories via the Stargate.

Much of what’s presented here is borrowed from this site and other open sources. Its up to the reader to investigate fact from speculation. I’ve purposely intertwined the two for a time reference and to add a little “meat” to the tale here.

I have also meant to keep this as generic as possible to fit Star Gate or Spycraft. I know some of you guys will pipe up and say to try this out using the Agencies book. Knock yourselves out!

This next section has been clipped and piecemealed from a majority of sources on the Alderac Boards. If you recognize your work, consider yourself part author to this effort. (Colossal Thanks to Mouthymerc) I make this available to all that visit here and hope that you get enjoyment from it.

Hinthas

Explorer
And a little more...

ATTRIBUTES IN SUPPORT OF ROMAN INTERNATIONAL
1. TOYS. I’ve speculated about various research projects that “might have been” managed by the CIA. Its for this reason that I feel its important to include assorted rules on chemicals, serums, and drug interactions.

2. TOOLS. Not all the time do “good guys” get govt assignments? Oftentimes it’s the guy that can make coldhearted decisions and not blink twice about ethics or morality. More to support this as well.

3. TWISTS. Anything that doesn’t fit the other two categories.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And the insanity starts… NOW!

1. TOYS
Neuroprogramming
Chem Feat
Plug and Play no longer only applies to computers.
Prerequisite: Intelligence 13+, Psion Level 0
Benefit: At the beginning of each mission you may choose one skill; you gain 4 ranks in this skill for the duration of the mission. If the chosen skill is a cross-class skill for you only gain 2 ranks.
This may not always be of the characters choosing ala Manchurian Candidate.

Assault Rifle Basics
Ranged Combat Feat
Point at enemy. Pull trigger. Hold down trigger to empty clip.
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +2, Weapon Proficiency (rifle).
Benefit: First, when wielding an assault rifle you gain the Lay Down Fire feat. Further, you may add or remove accessories from an assault rifle in half the time (rounded down), or as free action if the time to add or remove an accessory is already one half action--however, you are limited to adding two or removing two or adding one and removing one accessory from your assault rifle each round. Also, you may make untrained Knowledge (firearms) checks to clean assault rifles. Finally, for the purposes of computing your encumbrance, any assault rifle you carry weighs only half its listed weight (rounded down).
Special: Gun cleaning rules are on Modern Arms Guide, Chapter 9--Other Gear 14.

Assault Rifle Mastery
Ranged Combat Feat
Point at enemy. Pull trigger. Actually hit something.
Prerequisites: Assault Rifle Basics, base attack bonus +9.
Benefit: When wielding an assault rifle you gain the Controlled Burst feat. Further, you may perform the strafe attack or auto fire attack attack actions as half actions. Also, the time it takes you to make make Craft (gunsmithing) or Knowledge (firearms) gun cleaning checks on assault rifles is halved. Finally, the cost of the first assault rifle you requisition during a serial is halved.
Normal: The auto fire attack and strafe attack attack actions are one-round actions.

Assault Rifle Supremacy
Ranged Combat Feat
Point at enemy. Pull trigger. Down they go.
Prerequisites: Assault Rifle Mastery, base attack bonus +12.
Benefit: When wielding an assault rifle you gain the Bulls eye feat, which may be used when firing a burst (but not a strafe attack or auto fire attack). Further, any assault rifle you wield gains the takedown quality. Also, you no longer need spend an action die to activate a critical success on Craft (gunsmithing) or Knowledge (firearms) checks when cleaning an assault rifle nor do you need a gun cleaning kit to make Craft (gunsmithing) or Knowledge (firearms) checks to clean assault rifles. Finally, once per session for every four agent levels you possess, you may take an extra action before or after your normal actions on your initiative count; this extra action may only be used for the burst attack, auto fire attack, cover fire, strafe attack, or suppressive fire attack actions; these actions may only be taken while wielding an assault rifle.
Normal: Agents cannot use Craft (gunsmithing) or Knowledge (firearms) checks to clean guns without a gun cleaning kit.

With a gun cleaning kit and the Craft (Gunsmithing) or Knowledge (Firearms) skill at 1 rank or higher, an agent may attempt the following action. Check (6 hours): With a successful skill check using one of the two skills mentioned above (DC 25), the agent completely cleans a single firearm. The next time an error is rolled while firing this weapon, the GC (or agents, if the weapon’s in the hands of an NPC) cannot activate the critical miss. After this single exception, errors may be activated normally. The weapon may be cleaned again to renew this benefit, but the effects of multiple cleanings do not stack. Critical Success: The GC (or agents) may not activate the next two errors rolled with the weapon. Critical Failure: The gun has been improperly cleaned or reassembled incorrectly. The weapon’s error range is increased by 1 until it is successfully cleaned.

Shotgun Basics

Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +1 or higher.

Benefits: You’re considered to be proficient with all shotguns, even if you don't possess the Weapon Group Proficiency (Rifle) feat. Using shot or flechette ammunition to perform the Cover Fire or Suppressive Fire action uses up only 2 shots. You gain the Rapid Shot feat when using any shotgun. Your strength is considered +4 for recoil when using a shotgun.

Ok, somewhat powerful feat, for a few reasons. First, I followed the guidelines of the Revolver Basics feat because IMO the two weapons have similar problems in the Spycraft system. They simply don’t compete with their more modern counterparts; automatic weapons. Revolver Basics guidelines are proficiency and two virtual feats. The Suppressive/Cover fire I don’t count for much because, per the cinematic Shot rules, two shots cover 4 squares anyway, the equivalent of almost 5 rounds. The Rapid Shot feat is the first virtual feat, and the bonus to Recoil rounds it out nicely. One feat and 2 decent bennies. We now have cinematic/HKAT shotgun usage: the whole room gets torn to ---- and everyone dives for cover. The unlucky/stupid SOB that doesn’t duck gets shot, twice.

Shotgun Mastery

Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6 or higher, Shotgun Basics

Benefits: You may take the Strafe action with any shotgun. When using shot or flechette ammunition your Strafe attacks take up 1 shot per target, and you may target a number of squares equal to the remaining ammunition in your weapon. In addition, when performing a Strafe attack with shot or flechette ammo assess penalties as if the number of squares targeted is reduced by 1 (to a minimum of 2 squares). The agent gains the Lay Down Fire feat when wielding a shotgun.

The gist of this feat is simply applying logic to the shot mechanics used in different attack types; the ability to target two adjacent squares with one shot. The rest of the feat does two things: lets you Strafe with a shotgun, and grants the Lay Down Fire feat. Again, follows the guidelines of the Revolver Mastery feat: 1 virtual feat and one unusual ability. Pretty simple really, and synergizes nicely with Shotgun Basics, almost like they go together. More HKAT goodness: clear a room full of mooks fast.

Both feats are modeled after HKAT using one of the most obviously cinematic rules in the SEH, the shot rules. Things you DON’T see in HKAT are Quick Load, Marksman through Sniper, Speed Trigger, Bulls eye, in fact pretty much the rest of the Ranged Combat feat tree. You see a lot of Diving Shot, but I think that’s the genre in general, not Shotguns specifically.

Firearms
*Rifles and Shotguns*
d20 Effect
1-3 Weapon jams due to miss feed. Attackers receive an AoO. Loose one round to change to alternate weapon. If decide to attempt to clear, takes 1d4 rounds to accomplish. (Weapon specialists [weapon focus + personal firearms proficiency] takes 1/d4-2)
4-5 Weapon jams due to extractor malfunction. Brass/shell casing is caught in firing chamber. Attackers receive an AoO. Loose one round to change to alternate weapon. If decide to attempt to clear, takes 1d4 rounds to accomplish. (Weapon specialists [weapon focus + personal firearms proficiency] takes 1/d4-2)
6 Weapon fires wide left. Anyone in the target spot must make a Reflex save (DC 15) to avoid taking damage. 5% chance of ricochet.
7 Weapon fires short. Anyone in the target spot must make a Reflex save (DC 15) to avoid taking damage. 5% chance of ricochet.
8 Weapon fires overhead. Anyone in the target spot must make a Reflex save (DC 15) to avoid taking damage. 5% chance of ricochet.
9-10 Dud. The round does not fire. Loose one round to perform clearing sequence. Attackers receive an AoO.
11-12 You lose your balance. Your AC is at -2 until your next turn. You also draw an AoO from any opponent that threatens your area.
13-14 Miss fire and brass/shell casing is jammed between the bolt receiver group and the firing chamber. Attackers receive an AoO. Loose one round to change to alternate weapon. If decide to attempt to clear, takes 1d4 rounds to accomplish. (Weapon specialists [weapon focus + personal firearms proficiency] takes 1/d4-2)
15-16 Sight-picture and breath-control are off. Take one round to re-evaluate attacker or suffer -2 to attack rolls. Attackers receive an AoO.
17 You strain your shoulder from the recoil. Make Reflex check (DC 15) or drop the weapon. Take 1d6 subdual damage. You can't use that arm to fire the weapon until you have received proper care. Receive -4 penalty unless have the feat ambidexterity. Anyone in the target spot must make a Reflex save (DC 15) to avoid taking damage. Given handiness will decide which direct round is spent (Ambidextrous GM’s choice).
18 Double feed with two rounds jammed in the chamber. Attackers receive an AoO. Loose one round to change to alternate weapon. If decide to attempt to clear, takes 1d4 rounds to accomplish. (Weapon specialists [weapon focus + personal firearms proficiency] takes 1/d4-2)
19 Fire wide. Given handiness will decide which direct round is spent (Ambidextrous GM’s choice), and anyone in the target spot must make a Reflex save (DC 15) to avoid taking damage. Additionally, hot brass/shell casing is ejected into clothing. Take 1d4 points of burn damage for 2 rounds. Make a Concentration check (DC 15) each round or lose turn to remove hot casing (takes 2 rounds). 5% chance of ricochet.
20 Cook-off. Weapon is useless (bring to armorer for repair [revolvers can have cylinder replaced]). Loose one round to change to alternate weapon.

Hinthas

Explorer
And more....

Disease in The Morrow Project
By: Chris Van Deelen chrisv@nucleus.com

The following article was written, using a modified disease system from
FGU's Aftermath game system. It has been converted to be used in The Morrow
Project.

A disease can be broken down into three basic formats: acute, episodic,
and chronic. For game terms it will be A, E, or C.
Secondly, a disease will have up to four different vectors, or methods
of infection. They are Aerosol, Subcutaneous, Gastric, and Dermal. For the
game, they will be listed as AE, SU, GA. and DE.
Third, a disease will have a virulence number. The higher the number,
the more powerful the disease.
Fourth, the disease will have an incubation period. This could be
anything from instantaneous, to several months or
years before the disease begins to take effect.
Fifth, the disease will effect a certain attribute, or number of
attributes, such as Dexterity, Constitution, etc. The attributes act as a
gauge on how long the disease will affect the character.
Finally, the disease will have a cycle time. This is how long the time
between attacks on the characters constitution.

Virulence Table
1 1
2 1D3
3 1D4
4 1D6
5 1D8
6 1D10
7 2D6
8 2D10
9 3D6
10 3D8

An acute (A) disease will subtract its dice modifier from the affected
attribute at the end of each cycle. The character must then work with the
attribute at its reduced rate. When the attribute reaches 0, the crisis of
the disease is reached.
In Episodic (E) disease, keep track of all the dice modifier rolls.
Once the total surpasses the Attribute score, an episode occurs. Reduce the
target attribute by 25% each time. Once the attribute reaches 0, the crisis
stage is reached.
Finally, with a chronic (C) disease will take effect at the end of its
incubation period. This effect will remain until the
character throws off the disease, or the time limit on the duration of the
disease runs out. If a target attribute is specified, it will be decreased by
the Virulence dice modifier for the duration of the disease. The attribute
will return to normal at the end of the
disease.

The vectors are as follows:
Aerosol (AE) The infection is airborne. Any character within a number
of meters equal to the virulence group who breaths the air is subject to
infection
Subcutaneous (SU) The infection must be gotten under the characters skin
by such means as an animal bite, wound, injection, etc.
Gastric (GA) The source of infection must be taken internally through
such things as contaminated drink or food.
Dermal (DE) Simple skin contact is required. A garment that protects a
character from the initial source of infection may later contaminate the
character if it still carries the contamination from the original contact.

Dealing with the Disease
When a character is first exposed to a disease, a Constitution roll is
required. Roll a D20, and add the disease's virulence group number. If the
roll is equal, or less than the characters constitution, the character has
avoided contracting the disease. If the roll fails, oh boy.
Once infected, the character has a chance to throw off the disease
during the incubation period. the attempt requires the character to make a
successful treat disease roll. It is subject to the same modifier as the
constitution roll. Take the virulence group, and multiply it by five. Thus,
if the disease is virulence 3, it adds +15% to the skill roll. If the treat
disease roll is successful, the character is allowed a second, unmodified
constitution check to see if they are able to throw off the disease.
If the character takes the Universal Anitbody, subtract the virulence
group times 5, and then roll the dice. Again, a virulence group 3 would
subtract 15% from the Universal Antibody's roll, bringing it from 80% to 65%.
If the roll succeeds, the disease is thrown off.
At the end of the incubation period, the first effects of the disease
will appear. If the disease has no cycle, these effects will remain in force
until the character makes a con check against the disease, or the disease has
run its course. A con check may be made at the beginning of each day. Once
the disease is no longer active in the character's system, the effects of the
disease will disappear or he will be able to start healing the effects. The
exact result will be dependant on the exact disease.
If the disease has a cycle, the character is allowed to make a con check
at the end of the cycle time before the disease's advance is determined. If
the die roll is successful makes it by more than half the required amount, the
disease is thrown off. Example A character with a Con of 16 is infected with
a virulence group 3 disease. He rolls a 1 on a D20. This is more than half
(hell, he made it by 13 taking into account the disease's virulence group).
If it falls into the range between half, and exactly the roll he needed, the
disease is held in check. Example, the same character with a con of 16 rolls
a D20 and gets 12. This is above half, but below the target number of 13.
The disease is held in check. If the roll fails, the disease runs its normal
course. Once the disease is thrown off, the character can then go about
recovering from the disease.
When a victim is making his con check at the beginning of a day, or at
the end of a cycle, he will receive modifications to the number needed for a
successful check as follows:
* if a character makes a successful treat disease roll, modified as
usual by the disease's virulence group, a +1 bonus is received to the
characters con.
* If a broad band antibiotic is administered, a plus equal to its
strength is received.
* If a specific antibiotic is administered, a plus equal to the specific
efficiency against the disease is received.
* If the character is wounded badly (more than 25% of its SP/BP) a
penalty of -1 is added to the characters con check.

Day's Advance
This is the total number of points gained from the virulence group in a
Twenty-four hour period. Example, a virulence group 3 disease with a cycle
period of 6 hours advances 8 points (4 1D4 rolls during the twenty-four hour
period).

Crisis Point of the Disease
When an acute disease has reduced its main target to zero or below, when
an episodic disease has a cumulative total of its dice rolls that exceeds the
character's score in the disease's main target, or when a disease reaches a
specified stage with a chronic disease, the patient has reached the crisis
point of the disease. The character is allowed one last con check to
eliminate the disease, at the cons value cut in half, - the virulence factor.
No modifications are allowed. If the character fails the roll, he has died of
the disease. If the roll is successful, the character may begin recovering.

Disease Symptoms
This section presents typical disease symptoms and the effects on the
character with the disease. Not all diseases will have symptoms as severe as
these. Many disease will have these type of symptoms but their effects will
not be great enough to warrant an effect on the character

Coughing fits. This is handled the way nausea is, except instead of
being physically ill, the victim suffers from episodes of coughing. The
victim is unable to take any action during this time, and any movement is cut
in half. Hey, have you ever tried to walk while you were coughing up your
lungs? The fits last exactly the same length of time as the nausea.
Dizziness: When the disease's advance is greater than 1/3 of the
characters con, the character's movement is at half value, and if the
character is on treacherous ground (rubble, ice, etc) the character must make
a Dex check every minute game time to avoid falling down
Dystopia: When the advance is greater than 1/3 of the characters con
score, the effective light level for that character is reduced. Example, good
light becomes dim, dim light becomes poor, poor light becomes no light.
Fainting: Strenuous activities such as combat, running, climbing etc
will require a Con check after a number of rounds or minutes equal to 25% of
the characters Con. Example. If a character has a con of 16, he/she will be
able to fight for 4 rounds before having to make a Con check. If the
character fails, he falls unconscious for a number of minutes equal to the
virulence group of the disease. If the character does make the check, they
can continue to act for another amount of rounds equal to 25% of the
characters Con.
Headaches. The headaches will occur at the beginning of the cycle time,
and will last for the duration of the disease (until it is thrown off). These
come in three intensities. Mild headaches cause a -10% to all skill rolls,
but the victim is still able to react normally. Medium headaches will reduce
all skill rolls by 25%, and the victim must make a con check every time he
does something strenuous. If the roll fails, the victim must stop because
he/she is overcome by nausea (as described under nausea symptom). Sever
headaches will reduce all skill rolls by 50%. The character will be suffering
so badly, they will be unable to do just about anything. Simple walking will
cause the character to make a con check (with a negative equal to the
virulence of the disease). If the check fails, they will suffer from nausea.
If the roll critically fails (a natural 20), the character faints from the
pain (as described under fainting).
Lesions: The day's advance of the disease is the chance in 10 of
lesions developing on a random location. Any damage taken on that location
will expose the character to infection/
Nausea: Exertion as described in fainting or a successful attack on the
torso, throat or head will require a Con check to avoid a fit. The character
experiencing a fit of vomiting will be unable to perform any action for a
period in minutes equal to the virulence group of the disease. The character
will remain incapacitated until he/she makes a successful Con check. Dry
heaves are a bitch!
Pain: The disease's advance for that day act as a negative percentage
to all skill and attack rolls attempted by the character.
Paralysis: The specified extremity will take damage equal to the day's
advance of the disease. This damage is not permanent, or real. When the
total DP of the extremity are exceeded, the extremity is paralyzed and cannot
be used. When the disease is cured, the character regains use of the
extremity.
Puerperal: The character's blood is slow to clot, though not so bad as a
case of hemophilia would make it. But he will tend to bleed from open wounds
and suffer sever bruising from non-cutting blows. Basically, when the
character suffers a puncture, or a cutting wound, the character will lose 50%
more BP per turn than normal.
Rheumatoid Condition: The effects of this symptom vary by the location
affected. If it affects the legs, the characters base movement is cut in
half. If the disease's day's advance is greater than 1/2 the characters con,
the movement is reduced to 25% of normal. If the symptom effects the
characters arms or hands, all skills requiring the use of the hands are
reduced by half. If the total of the day's advance surpasses half of the
characters current Con, the skills are reduced to 25% of normal.
Tinnitus: The day's advance of the disease is the percentage times two
reduction to any skills the character tries to use, due to ringing in his or
her ears. Example, a character suffers 7 points advance during the day, so
the character suffers a -14% to any skills.
Ulcerations: The day's advance of the disease is the chance in 10 that
the character will develop ulcers on a specific location. This should be
determined by making a hit location roll. If the character receives any
damage to an ulcerated location he must make a Con check, or the pain will
cause him to faint (see fainting). The character is also exposed to
infection.
Weakness: When the disease advance is greater than the 30% of the
characters Con., his STR. and Dex. are reduced by 25%, and suffers a 20%
negative to any skill rolls. When the disease's advance is more than 50% of
the Characters Con, the stat reduction is 50%, and the negative to skill rolls
is now 40%.

Recovery from Disease
When a character throws off a disease or survives a disease because it
has run its course, the character will receive 1D10 points per virulence point
of phantom damage. this damage is just from exhaustion and general weakness.
For every 1 hour of full rest, the character regains 1 point of this damage.
It is just a measuring gauge to see how long the character takes to fully
recover.
Symptoms will be recovered from in a number of days equal to the
disease's virulence group. Symptoms such as lesions and ulcers cause actual
damage (1D3 dp per ulcer or lesion) and these will heal as a normal wound
would.
Attributes that have been reduced by the disease will recover at a rate
equal to 30% of the Characters Con score per week. Example, a character with
a Con of 18 will regain up to 6 lost attribute points per week.

Infection
A character may be subject to infection if he takes damage from the bite
of an animal, or wounds suffered from a dirty weapon, or if the character
doesn't take the time to keep him or herself clean.
Once the character is exposed to an opportunity for infection to set in,
the PD makes a secret Con save for the character. This throw should be made
if the character hasn't been properly treated after taking the wound (example,
first aid, or cleaning the wound and then covering the wound with a sterile
bandage).
Once the character is infected, recognizable symptoms will appear once
the character is supposed to heal a wound.
First, the wound will become inflamed and pussy. The character will not heal
any damage at this time. At the end of each twenty four hour period, the
character is allowed another Con check to see if they are able to throw off
the infection. If it succeeds, the character has beaten the infection, and
can begin to heal normally. Administering antibiotics will allow the
character a +3 to their Con check to throw off the infection. On top of that,
the wound must be kept clean, and the bandages must be changed at least twice
a day. If this isn't done, the character suffers a -1 to his or her Con
check.
If, during this time the character is unable to throw off the infection,
and he or she rolls a 20 on the Con check, gangrene will set in. Gangrene
negates the characters ability to make Con checks. Gangrene has an initial
virulence group of 1 which will increase by one each day. Each day, the PD
will roll the virulence dice. When the total of the dice rolls exceeds the
characters total Con, the character dies.
Each day a character with Treat disease may attempt to halt the progress
of the disease. The skill check is reduced by half unless a number of medical
units equal to the virulence group are used during the treatment of the
disease. If the check succeeds, the gangrene is halted, and reversed. The
character can then begin healing the damage normally. At this time, the
points accumulated from the virulence dice are taken as normal damage, and
must be healed normally.

Immunity from Disease
Any character who has once had a specific strain of an acute or episodic
disease will be immune to that strain in the future. In game terms, this
means that a character who has made his Con check after the first effects of
the disease have evidenced themselves will automatically make his Con check
when exposed to the same disease.

Specific Disease's in The Morrow Project

When PSI is called for below, it is because TMP doesn’t have an
attribute for either Intelligence, or Willpower. It is just a quick fix until
the third edition comes out (if ever). My reasoning behind this is that Psi
is a good gauge for a characters will power.

With the above rules, the disease will be described in the following method:
Vector, format, target(s), incubation period, virulence group, cycle
time.

1. Anthrax
DE or AE-(A)-CON-1D3 Days-3-2 days-Lesions, Nausea, Pain
There is also a chance that the disease will cause the loss of facial
and head hair. When the disease is cured, roll a Con. check. If it fails,
the character is permanently bald. Once this disease has been overcome, the
character is immune to it.

2. Pneumonia Plague
AE-(A)-CON-2D6 Hours-3-3 Hours
Nausea, Weakness, Fainting, coughing fits
Once the disease passes the 30% of the Con score. in its advance, the
victim will just go into delirium until death or healing takes place.

3. Pneumonia
AE-(A)-CON-1D3 Hours-3-3 Hours
Pain, Weakness, coughing fits
The victim has a chance of infection if exposed to any kind of wound
while suffering from pneumonia. There is also a much milder form of the
disease, with a Virulence of 1 and all the time periods above given in days,
not hours. This is often called "Walking Pneumonia."
Victims of exposure or damage to lung tissue can develop the disease
without any apparent exposure to a carrier, as most humans carry the
pneumococcus dormant in their lungs, ready to become active if the immune
system of the victim is weakened.

4. Rabies
SU-(E)-DEX-1D3+5 Days-5-1 Day
Rheumatoid condition of arms and legs. Nausea, Pain, Medium headaches
Rabies is transmitted by the bite of a rabid animal.

5. Hepatitis
GA or AE-(E)-STR-1D3 Days-3-1 Day
Weakness, Nausea, Dizziness.

6. Brain Lighting
AE-(A)-PSI-2D6 Hours-3-1 Hour
The sufferer will complain of sever headaches once the advance has wiped
out half of his will score. He will become insane and require restraint if he
is not to run madly about at random once the disease has reduced the
Attributes below 30% of its value.

7. Eyeburn
SU-(E)-PSI-1 Day-2-12 Hours
Dystopia, Medium headaches
If the Crisis is not survived, the character is still alive, but his
optic nerve has been destroyed, leaving him permanently blinded. The disease
is transmitted by the bite or claws of infected animals. It seems to be a
mutant form of Rabies, which has become specific to the tissues of the optic
nerve.

8. Zombo Plague
DE-(A)-PSI- 24 Hours-2D2-24 Hours
Dizziness
When the characters PSI reaches 0, the character becomes a Zombo,
unprogrammed. This disease is not lethal in itself. If the character does
not throw it off at the crisis point, he will become a Zombo. The character
has no intelligence, no skills, and must be retaught everything from eating,
walking, using the toilet, etc.

9. Littleton's Bane
AE,DE-(E)-STR-1 Hour-3-1 Hour
Patients experiences fits of homicidal mania and will seek to kill
anyone present during the fit. Victims show a tendency to prefer hand to hand
attempts on their victims. If no others are present, the victim becomes
suicidal.

10. Spotted Plague
GA-(A)-DEX,-48 Hours-2-24 Hours.

11. Botulism
GA or SU-(-)-DEX, CON-1D3 Hours-10-10D6 Minutes. Pain, Nausea,
Dizziness, Paralysis
Botulism is contracted from eating contaminated food or drinking
contaminated water. Boiling or cooking these thoroughly before consumption
destroys the bacteria. The bacteria is not in itself poisonous, but it
produces an extremely strong neuro toxin. Even application of the serum only
reduces the virulence of the disease to 5.

12. Brucellosis
GA or SU-(C)-STR-1D3 Weeks-2-1D3 Weeks. Nausea, Weakness

13. Diphtheria
GA-(A)-CON-1D6+1 Days-3-1 Day
Nausea, Pain, Ulceration in throat, coughing fits

14. Amoebic Dysentery
GA-(E)-CON-1D6 Days to 1D6 Years-2-1 Day. Diarrhea

15. Bacillary Dysentery
GA-(E)-CON-1D6 Days-3-1 Day
Diarrhea, Nausea, Rheumatoid pain in arms and legs.
Dysentery acts like cholera by fluid loss.

16. Glanders
GA or AE-(E)-CON-3D6 Days-4-1 Day
Rheumatoid pain in joints, Ulcers
Material from Ulcers can infect dermally.

17. Smallpox
AE or GA-(E)-CON-2D6 Days-4-1 Day
Pain, nausea, lesions, mild headaches
The disease is often accompanied by raving fits. The lesions often leave
unsightly scarring.

18. Typhoid
GA-(E)-CON-4D6 days-2-1 Week
Weakness, Diarrhea, Pain

19. Typhus
SA-(E)-CON-3D6 Days-4-2D3 Days
Pain, Weakness

20. Death's Plague
AE,SU,GA,DE-(A)-CON-1D3 Hours-10-10 Minutes. Lesions, Pain, Rheumatoid
pain in joints, Sensitivity to light, Paranoid Rage (in that order)

21. Lugo Fatigue
AE-(C)-STR-1D6 Days-2-1D3 Months
Ulceration on throat, Weakness, coughing fits

22. September Fever
AE-(C)-CON,STR-1D3 Days-1-2D6 Days
Dizziness, Nausea, Weakness, Pain, Sever Headaches

23. Toledo Infection
AE, DE-(E)-DEX,STR,CON-1D3 Days-8-1D3 hours. Fainting, Lesions, Nausea,
pain, Weakness

24. The Common Cold
AE - (C) - ST - 3 hours - 1 - 30 minutes
weakness, coughing, pain, mild headaches

The following tables represent possible mutation of the disease resulting in
any number of changes.

Chance of Disease Mutation Format
Roll Change Roll Change
01-80 No mutation 1-7 Acute
81-00 Mutation 8-14 Episodic
15-20 Chronic
Disease Mutation
Roll Change Vector
1 Format Roll Change
2 Vector 1-2 Aerosol
3-4 Virulence 3-4 Subcutaneous
5-6 Incubation/Cycle time 5-6 Gastric
7 Symptoms 7-8 Dermal
8 Antibiotic Modifiers 9-0 Roll once more
9 Roll once more
10 Roll twice more

Incubation/Cycle Period Symptoms
Roll Change Roll Change
1 Decrease period by 75% 1 Add 3 Symptoms
2 Decrease period by 50% 2 Add 2 Symptoms
3 Decrease Period by 25% 3-5 Add 1 Symptom
4 No Change 6-8 Remove 1 Symptom
5 Increase Period by 25% 9 Remove 2 Symptoms
6 Increase Period by 50% 0 Remove 3 Symptoms
7 Increase Period by 75%
8 Increase Period by 100%

Virulence Modifiers: Antibiotic Modifiers:
Roll Result Roll Result
01-10 -1D10 (MIN. 3) O1-10 +1 Per 1D6 Doses
11-25 -2 11-25 +1 Per 3 Doses
26-45 -1 26-45 +1 Per 2 Doses
46-55 0 46-55 0
56-74 +1 56-74 +3 Per 2 Doses
75-90 +2 75-90 +2 Per Dose
91-00 +1D10 (MIN. 3) 91-00 +1D6 Per Dose

Symptoms
Roll Result
1-2 Dizziness
3-4 Dystopia
5-6 Fainting
7-8 Lesions
9-10 Nausea
11-12 Pain
13 Paralysis
14-15 Puerperal
16 Rheumatoid
17 Tinnitus
18-19 Ulceration
20 Weakness

MORROW PROJECT MEDICAL DRUGS

1. Polycellulac 3
Doses: 20 Weight: 200 grams
Effects: Heals 2D10 points of damage sustained. Must be administered within
10 minutes of suffering the wounds. The drug accelerates the bodies natural
healing rate tremendously. As a result, the characters con. is reduced by
four for every does injected into the characters body. When the characters
con. reaches 0, this drug will no longer have any effect on the character, as
the body has been taxed to its limit This reduction in no way effects the
character, it is just a guide to determine how many doses they can take. The
lost con.returns at the rate of one point per day.

2. Polycellulac 4
Effects: The same as Polycellulac 3 but this formula is not subject to the
same 10 minute time factor. It will act upon any damage sustained by a
character, even if it is days after sustaining the wounds.

3. Polycellulac 5
Doses: 15 Weight: 200 grams
Effects: Similar to Polycellulac 4. This drug has the capability to heal
critical damage (such as broken bones), as well as normal. Critical damage is
healed after all normal damage is healed. It heals 4D5 points of damage
rather than 2D10 (simply put, a higher average) as with Polycellulac 3 and 4.
It causes broken bones to heal within 1D6 hours.

4. Polycellulac 6
Doses: 10 Weight: 200 grams
Effects: This is a further refined version of Polycellulac 5. It heals 4D6
points of damage and when all normal damage is healed, it then heals critical
damage. Broken bones and other critical damage heal in only 1D3 hours.

5. Polycellulac 7
Doses: 10 Weight: 200 grams
Effects: This is a refinement of Polycellulac 3 and 4. The only difference
is that the loss of con. is no longer a factor.

6. Polycellulac 8
Doses: 5 Weight: 200 grams
Effects: This drug is similar to both Polycellulac 6 and 7. The difference
is that the damage healed is 4D10. The healing rate is not effected.

7. Polycellulac 9 "Regen"
Doses: 1 Weight: 250 grams
Effects: Works like Polycellulac 4, but it also institutes regeneration. The
regeneration takes time according to the location and number of locations to
be regenerated. If they are all on the same limb, the first location will
take 1D6 weeks, the second will take 2D6 weeks and so on. If the severs are
on more than one limb, add 1 week per location. This also causes the
regeneration of all scar tissue and can even regenerate lost vision due to
wounds.

8. Cardiacine
Effects: Can restore the heartbeat in the "newly" dead. The body must be
intact enough to support life: no enormous holes in the body, or so on. The
injection must be made directly into the heart within 3 minutes of death.
Only one injection is allowed. The patient is permitted a const.check (the
characters con stat rolled or less on a D20 when injected. If the check. is
made, the character will be comatose, but alive. If the character fails the
roll, he/she is permanently dead.

9. Panomycin "S"
Effects: This drug is a broad band antibiotic and 1 dose allows a +3 to any
Con check the patient attempts against any form of disease. Only 2 doses can
be used at once.

10. Panomycin "Tailored"
Doses: 1 Weight: 100 grams.
Effects: As above but tailored for a specific disease. If used against the
disease that it was "tailored" for, it cures it. If used against a mutant
strain of a disease that it was tailored to cure, it adds a +5 bonus to the
Con check. It has no effect against a disease that it was not tailored for,
unless it is a mutated version. If it is mutated, This adds a +3 bonus to the
Con check.

11. Anti-Rem
Doses: 5 Weight: 500 grams.
Effects: Helps reduce the amount of radiation absorbed by the character. One
dose will reduce the amount of radiation absorbed by 10% Multiple doses can
be used at one time (a maximum of 5 doses or 50%) The drug lasts 48 hours.

12. Anagathon
Doses: 1 Weight: 500 grams.
This pinnacle of medical research before the ruin. The drug reverses the
degenerative effects of age. This is not a single-dose operation. A graded
series of injections of various components of Anagathon are required over an
unbroken period of one month. Each regimen extends the characters lifespan by
2D3 years. The character will be frozen at that age for this period of time.
The patient may not exert himself during this period, his food and water
requirements are doubled, and there must be no more than three days at a time
lost between treatment days or the process breaks down.

13. Panomycin Pain Kill
Effects: This is a powerful pain killer. One dose will reduce the effects of
pain a character suffers by 5 for 12 hours. Additional doses have no effect.
See the effects of pain as described in the symptoms section.

MORROW PROJECT MEDICAL EQUIPMENT

1. Antiseptic Spray
Doses: 30 Weight 250 grams.
Effects: 1 dose will cleanse one location. This gives the character a +4
Bonus to the Con check against contracting infection.

2. Burn Ointment
Doses: 30 Weight: 300 grams
Effects: 1 dose will double the healing rate for burn damage only. It will
also reduce the pain of the wound in much the same way as PainKill. One dose
covers one location of burn damage.

3. Bandages
Weight: variable
Effects: Allows the character to recover 1 point of damage per location
bandaged. It also increase the healing rate by 50% per day if the bandages
are changed once every 24 hours until the healing is completed. If the
bandages are not changed everyday, the healing bonus is lost.

4. Medical Supplies
Weight: variable
Effects: Uses vary.

5. Disposable Surgical Gloves
Number: 100 Weight: 300 grams
Effects: Allows a +1 to the Con check against infection from any wounds while
being treated.

6. Medi-kit Mark 1
Weight: 500 grams
Effects: Adds 10% to the users First Aid skill roll

7. Medi-kit Mark 2
Weight: 1 kg
Effects: Adds 20% to the users first aid skill roll, and 10% to the users
treat disease roll.

8. Hypo Injector
Weight: 400 grams
Effects: A required tool for injecting drugs into a characters system.

9. Surgical Instruments
Weight: 1 kg
Effects: Adds a bonus of +10% to the medical skill when treating major
wounds. Note. If instruments are not properly sterilized after use, the
patient then suffers a -2 to fight off infections.

10. Surgical Gowns and Masks
Number: 1 set Weight: 800 grams
Effects: When treating a badly wounded character, using this clothing will add
a +3 bonus to saving throws against infection from the wounds suffered.

11. Electric Cautery Knife
Weight: 500 grams Battery Required: 2 DD batteries, good for three hours
continuous use
Effects: This device uses an electrical current to cut and/or cauterize
tissue. In surgical applications it gives a +10% bonus to the users medical
skill. and to the patients save if any are required. If used to cauterize
severed limbs in order to prevent bleeding. A Con check at -5 is required to
stay conscious. It does put the character into shock, but the tissue damage
is more controlled, and unlikely to kill the victim.

12. Inflatable Splints
Weight: 1.2 kg
Effects: Plastic bags, inflatable in 10 combat rounds, which can be fitted
around a broken limb before being blown up, like big balloons, to immobilize
broken limbs. This will allow the limb to be used as if merely disabled. The
splint comes in three forms: arm, leg, and torso.

13. Sterilization unit
Weight: 15 kg Power required: no less than 120Volts
Effects: This item resembles a cross between an oven and a microwave. Any
equipment which needs to be sterilized (such as surgical instruments, surgical
gowns and so forth) must first be cleaned by hand and then placed in this
unit. It kills all germs and bacteria, making the equipment safe to be used
again. Note that clothing must be thoroughly washed before being placed in
this unit.

14. Cough syrup.
Weight: 100 grams, doses: 20.
Effects: When ingested, this will prevent coughing fits for a number of hours
equal to 8 - the virulence group of the disease. If the character is doing
something strenuous, the length of time the medicine works is cut in half.
Running will reduce the time from hours, to 10's of minutes. Multiple does
have no effect, unless the does has worn off.

15. Pain Killer
Doses: 200, Weight: 200 grams
Effects: This is your generic, over the counter pain killer. The average
adult will take two to three tablets every four to six hours. This will
reduce the effects of pain suffered from wounds and diseases by 2. See the
effects of pain as described in the symptoms section. Basically aspirin.

BZ RULES !!!

Uncontrolled Rage: range 25m, Save vs Will DC 15, Duration: untill loss of conciousness then save DC 10 if failed the person is still effected.

Game play: If target fails save they will automaticly strike out at the first male they see and will not stop untill target is down or they go down. If target goes down then they will switch to the next male they see, and so on. If no males are present then they will attack the first female they see in a rage of lustful passion and so on.

Hinthas

Explorer
Oh yeah, I forgot. If anyone has any favorite house rules they'd like to contribute, PLEASE, PLEASE SHARE.

Until then, ENJOY!!!

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Could you edit the post where you have some attributes of roman international or whatever? It's really janking with the formatting of the page and I have to scroll all over to read anything.

Thus I haven't really read anything.

--fje

Remove ads