• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modern Saga?

Flynn

First Post
Good Afternoon, All,

Right now, I'm working on an OGL version of D20 Fantasy Saga, adding some streamlined design elements to D20 Fantasy because it seems like a great fit.

Another great fit, or so I imagine, would be to see the Modern SRD get the same treatment. In fact, given the similarities between the SECR and D20 Modern, I'm surprised that I haven't seen someone posting about a combination between Modern and Saga already.

What I'm hoping is that someone is already doing just that, and if so, I hope you guys can point me in the right direction. Once the OGL Fantasy Saga project is done, I'd like to look at integrating Saga and Grim Tales, and I think a Modern Saga would be helpful in making the adjustments I'd need. (Yeah, I know, Grim Tales Saga is probably a blasphemy, but I'd still like to puruse it for my own gaming needs.)

Thanks In Advance For Your Help,
Flynn

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I don't know, I think dividing out essential conceptual changes to mechanics which increase speed and enjoyment can be divided from additional changes to mechanics which capture the Space Opera Fantasy of SWRPG.

For instance, I think the Damage Threshold is fine, but can be bumped up a little for a Modern or Gritty game (drop two places down the Condition track, perhaps).

Etc etc.

I've been toying with the idea myself a little bit, but the next game I'll be running I forsee being a D&D game that I might houserule as opposed to a Modern game. If things change in that regard you'd probably find me doing this work myself, as well.

--fje

Ranger REG

Explorer
Flynn said:
Another great fit, or so I imagine, would be to see the Modern SRD get the same treatment. In fact, given the similarities between the SECR and D20 Modern, I'm surprised that I haven't seen someone posting about a combination between Modern and Saga already.
Here or on Wizards.com messageboard?

Last edited:

Gundark

Explorer
Flynn said:
I'd like to look at integrating Saga and Grim Tales, and I think a Modern Saga would be helpful in making the adjustments I'd need. (Yeah, I know, Grim Tales Saga is probably a blasphemy, but I'd still like to puruse it for my own gaming needs.)

Well oddly enough I saw these two as a good match

Flynn

First Post
Gundark said:
Well oddly enough I saw these two as a good match

I do, too, but based on comments that Wulf Ratbane has posted in the past, he didn't seem to feel that the two were a good blend. Then again, while he's the author and thus I hold his opinion in high regard, he did write Grim Tales as a toolkit, and this is just another approach to using that toolkit. ;)

With Regards,
Flynn

Hackmaster

Explorer
Flynn said:

Agreed, SWSE and D20 Modern are extremely similar. I've been thinking of doing such a conversion myself, and have been amazed that no one has done it yet. Or at least, I haven't noticed a thread here, at RPG.net or on another forum. The amount of work involved would really be minimal. It would be extremely easy to convert the character classes into a SWSE type system.

drothgery

First Post
Flynn said:
Good Afternoon, All,

Right now, I'm working on an OGL version of D20 Fantasy Saga, adding some streamlined design elements to D20 Fantasy because it seems like a great fit.

It might be you haven't seen one because SWSE can almost be run as-is for a modern game (and can certainly be run as-is for a future game). I'd imagine the vast majority of the work for 'Modern Saga' would be in building equipment and vehicles.

Gundark

Explorer
Flynn said:
he did write Grim Tales as a toolkit, and this is just another approach to using that toolkit. ;)

And I agree. I just picked up Grim Tales. To be honest I think it's a little outdated, or soon to be outdated once we see a SAGA modern or SAGA fantasy. I would have been happier with this book if I bought this book a couple of years back. Not to knock the book, it's well thought out, some areas could have use more description, but overal well done.

Remove ads