• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modern Saga?

Flynn

First Post
Gundark said:
And I agree. I just picked up Grim Tales. To be honest I think it's a little outdated, or soon to be outdated once we see a SAGA modern or SAGA fantasy. I would have been happier with this book if I bought this book a couple of years back. Not to knock the book, it's well thought out, some areas could have use more description, but overal well done.

And it plays exceptionally well, at least for the style of game I like to run. :) I've run characters from 4th to 17th, and it's been a blast! I haven't noticed any major power issues, save for a few that D&D exploits even more so with spells and the like. All in all, my experience with it has been great.

With Regards,
Flynn

Flynn

First Post
Ranger REG said:
I mean, have you actually checked wizards.com messageboard? Posters like Cyber-Dave already got the jump on porting SAGA rules to d20 Modern.

I have only skimmed the boards, so it's easily possible that I missed that. Any links to threads would be greatly appreciated.

With Regards,
Flynn

Michael Tree

First Post
drothgery said:
It might be you haven't seen one because SWSE can almost be run as-is for a modern game (and can certainly be run as-is for a future game). I'd imagine the vast majority of the work for 'Modern Saga' would be in building equipment and vehicles.
That's what I would do. Just take SWSE, remove the stuff about the Force and starships, relabel all the blaster stats as gun stats, maybe stat up a modern vehicle or two, and you're good to go.

Counterspin

First Post
Totally agree with Michael Tree. I don't really see anything that needs converting, at least from a crunch standpoint. Slap on different fluff and get playing!

The_Gneech

Explorer
Actually, I was thinking of giving SWSE a try for my long-delayed Crimson Skies campaign idea. Maybe change the name of the Noble class to Socialite or something similar, start everybody off at third level, and require that everyone take at least one level of Scoundrel and Pilot as a trained skill.

The most time-consuming part would be converting the ship stats over to Crimson Skies planes, and that wouldn't be that hard, just take time.

-The Gneech :cool:

arscott

First Post
Gneech, I'd recommend just making Pilot a class skill for all classes. A little bit more player freedom, and accomplishes the same goal.

drothgery

First Post
arscott said:
Gneech, I'd recommend just making Pilot a class skill for all classes. A little bit more player freedom, and accomplishes the same goal.

Err... if you're not building a new set of classes, then Pilot is a class skill for all classes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads