I'm ready for a new Star Wars RPG

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
I loved the basics of FFGs version of star wars, if I could find a lite version of the genesys system that did away with all the charts and extra stuff, but just kept the basic rolls, I'd play star wars with that system.
My limited experience with FFG Star Wars was that if you replace most/all rule-referencing with just using the rulebooks from one of the Starter Sets, then it plays much better. Only go to the bigger books for character-facing specific traits. But overall, I just didn't stick with the game past a couple tries.

Funny thing about the "use Cortex Prime" argument is that it's "LEGO-like" structure allows you to build the game you need for the themes you want, so they could much more easily pull off the 3-rule books for different campaign types model, but they'd also feel a LOT more complete. Supplements would be more about adding new mods, character options (in the form of SFX particular to the mods), and then just loads and loads of lore, GMCs, and ship stats. Exactly what I wanted FFG SW to be, but wasn't, because fundamental aspects of the game for the campaign style I'd want to run were squirreled away in different rulebooks and supplements.

aramis erak

Legend
Maybe but I don't want anything 5 Ebased or funky die.

The D6 REUP version is pretty good/free. I would just POD that somewhere.
It's also an act of blatant palgiarism and copyright infringement; given the number of downloads, probably criminal level. No POD provider who is sane dares risk selling it, for Disney has many good lawyers.

And make no mistake - Disney owns the copyrights of WEG''s Star Wars d6, since they were done on a assignment of derivation basis - that is, in exchange for making derivative works, WEG gave up their own portion of the copyrights to Lucasfilm upon approval. When FFG asked to do a reprint of WEG 1E on its anniversary, they got permission from Disney.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's also an act of blatant palgiarism and copyright infringement; given the number of downloads, probably criminal level. No POD provider who is sane dares risk selling it, for Disney has many good lawyers.

And make no mistake - Disney owns the copyrights of WEG''s Star Wars d6, since they were done on a assignment of derivation basis - that is, in exchange for making derivative works, WEG gave up their own portion of the copyrights to Lucasfilm upon approval. When FFG asked to do a reprint of WEG 1E on its anniversary, they got permission from Disney.

It's fan based D6 has an OGL. They're not selling REUP.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

REUP isn't trying to be sold. That makes it a non-issue in my book.

aramis erak

Legend
It's fan based D6 has an OGL. They're not selling REUP.
the rules are not the issue - the Star Wars copyright is. The various copyrighted images and the designs for the specific Star Wars ships are under the copyright and the trademark of LFL, now a subsidiary of WEDCO (the actual Disney corporate layer).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
the rules are not the issue - the Star Wars copyright is. The various copyrighted images and the designs for the specific Star Wars ships are under the copyright and the trademark of LFL, now a subsidiary of WEDCO (the actual Disney corporate layer).
I still don't see your point. It's a good game. So's the 5e version of Star Wars, which is in the same boat. No one is trying to sell either game, so I see no reason not to play and enjoy it if it appeals to you.

Zardnaar

Legend

Lucasfilm been fairly generous with fan content.

Might explode your mind with the fan films on YouTube or mods for various games.

Lucasfilm has essentially said go for it don't monetize it though.

Eg one person raising money to make a fan film got told no.

That's where the line is with Lucasfilm. Go on YouTube and search Star Wars fan films. There's a lot. Quite a few good ones. Think they would be up if Disney said to youtube take em down?

I suggest you stop being an internet lawyer. D6 has an OGL.

Last edited:

Vael

Legend
Statements like this are funny to me because Star Wars is the one media property that D&Disms would actually work for.

Tons of weird races? Check.
Zero to hero? Check.
Niche protection? Check.
All or nothing wounds? Check.
One broken class? Double check.
Heck, my DnD campaigns skew more Star Wars-y, I've always said that my DnD taverns have a Mos Eisley cantina vibe. I like having Plasmoids and Thri-kreen and more exotic PCs as adventurers.

Remove ads