I'm ready for a new Star Wars RPG

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Of all the licensed RPGs, Star Wars has constantly eluded me.

D6 \ West End
I did not care for the West End version. I know, I know that's blasphemy. So many sing the praises of that system, but it just didn't seem to be that fun. It could have been the GM, but it was 'ok' at best. The supplements though, were OUTSTANDING!!! I still own a handful.

D20 \ WotC
I owned all three of these d20 star wars/d20 star wars revised/Saga. The first two were standard iterations of d20, they were reasonable at low levels, but quickly got out of hand, and bogged down the game play. I owned Saga edition it seemed like a good iteration, and sadly was never able to bring it to the table.

Genesys \ Fantasy Flight
Love the layout and aesthetic. I don't mind the breakup into the three books, but I still think they could have done one book like Star Trek Adventures, then make specific lines for Force based, location based (Outer Rim, etc), Rebellion Era, Old Replublic, New Republic, etc.
I tried the starter sets but couldn't do the custom dice. I don't have room in my brain for custom dice now, it's too late in my gaming life. :p

Savage Star Wars \ Savage Worlds
I have the Explorer's Edition and Science Fiction Companion for Savage Worlds, and have heard that there are a few fan made Star Wars supplements that allegedly make a great fit for the genre.
I need to try this, from a distance, it looks like it could really work.

With all that being said, I'm ready for a new official Star Wars RPG. Edge studio has the license now, right? How long will that last?

Would Modiphius do it justice? Their system seems to be able to handle a multitude of genres and styles.

How about Free League? I don't want the Year Zero system for Star Wars, I don't feel that it would be a great fit.

It's most likely going to have to be a larger company to afford the license.

A new custom system or an existing system adjusted to fit? Which would you prefer?

Reynard

Legend
This is one of those threads where most people are going to come in and sing the praises of their favorite system and insist it is perfect for Star Wars. I suspect we will read the word "Cortex" a lot.

I think the best bet for a new Star Wars game would be a bespoke system built from the ground up for the tone and cinematic action of modern Star Wars (rather than clinging to the OT or Prequels).

That said, I think a 5E Star Wars crowd funding campaign would break every RPG crowd funding campaign record ever. It isn't the best fit, but it would surely be popular.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Of all the licensed RPGs, Star Wars has constantly eluded me.

D6 \ West End
I did not care for the West End version. I know, I know that's blasphemy. So many sing the praises of that system, but it just didn't seem to be that fun. It could have been the GM, but it was 'ok' at best. The supplements though, were OUTSTANDING!!! I still own a handful.

D20 \ WotC
I owned all three of these d20 star wars/d20 star wars revised/Saga. The first two were standard iterations of d20, they were reasonable at low levels, but quickly got out of hand, and bogged down the game play. I owned Saga edition it seemed like a good iteration, and sadly was never able to bring it to the table.

Genesys \ Fantasy Flight
Love the layout and aesthetic. I don't mind the breakup into the three books, but I still think they could have done one book like Star Trek Adventures, then make specific lines for Force based, location based (Outer Rim, etc), Rebellion Era, Old Replublic, New Republic, etc.
I tried the starter sets but couldn't do the custom dice. I don't have room in my brain for custom dice now, it's too late in my gaming life. :p

Savage Star Wars \ Savage Worlds
I have the Explorer's Edition and Science Fiction Companion for Savage Worlds, and have heard that there are a few fan made Star Wars supplements that allegedly make a great fit for the genre.
I need to try this, from a distance, it looks like it could really work.

With all that being said, I'm ready for a new official Star Wars RPG. Edge studio has the license now, right? How long will that last?

Would Modiphius do it justice? Their system seems to be able to handle a multitude of genres and styles.

How about Free League? I don't want the Year Zero system for Star Wars, I don't feel that it would be a great fit.

A new custom system or an existing system adjusted to fit? Which would you prefer?
I mean, if the Marvel RPG does well enough, Disney might bring Star Wars in-house.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is one of those threads where most people are going to come in and sing the praises of their favorite system and insist it is perfect for Star Wars. I suspect we will read the word "Cortex" a lot.

I think the best bet for a new Star Wars game would be a bespoke system built from the ground up for the tone and cinematic action of modern Star Wars (rather than clinging to the OT or Prequels).

That said, I think a 5E Star Wars crowd funding campaign would break every RPG crowd funding campaign record ever. It isn't the best fit, but it would surely be popular.
I mean, Star Wars d20 worked pretty darn well: the action fantasy vibe of D&D and Star Wars are not incompatible, certainly much weirder fits for 5E have made it out.

However, I would expect a bespoke system if a new game comes out.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Not sure, but since it's just the FFG RPG guys under a different banner I expect it to be more or less the same as what we already got from them.
You'll get different answers on this, but personally no. They have a pretty scattershot approach to what they publish, and then just move on. I also find 2D20 absolutely not able to handle a multitude of styles.
I hope not. Look at what they did to Twilight 2000. I don't hate the new version of Dragonbane, but that's in spite of the Free League additions they made to it rather than because of it.
I mean, when isn't a custom system a better fit thematically? Whenever an existing system is used instead it's almost always in large part a commercial decision. Whether that's good or bad is up to you. I would prefer a custom one. But given the prestige and, presumed, cost of the license I would expect a license holder to take the least amount of risk possible.

On a personal note, I don't think we'll ever surpass West End Star Wars. As far as what you can do under one roleplaying line in that setting.

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”

No! Not only have I never liked their 2d20 system, but I especially tend to not like the results when a generic system is applied to existing settings that already have a strong feel/history/vibe (not sure what the right word is there.) Design a system to fit the feel of the setting.

Same thing. I don't mind Year Zero, but I'd rather see a purpose-built system. (Note that when they got the rights to TOR they did NOT try to port it to Year Zero.)

Or a deal between a larger publisher and a brilliant game designer. Again, Free League and Francesco with TOR.

A new custom system!!!! Something original that makes you think, "Oh, right! Now THAT screams Star Wars!"

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
If you ever want to do an all-Jedi campaign, there's no system better for it than Clinton R. Nixon's Paladin (if you can find a copy; it doesn't currently seem to be available via his website).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Scum and Villainy (a BitD game from Evil Hat games) is Star Wars with the serial numbers mostly filed off. Not official, but then not burdened with the need of "Official" either.
PbtA or BitD is probavly awell situated to allow characters of wildly different "power levels" like Jedi and smugglers to play together nicely.

Remove ads