I'm ready for a new Star Wars RPG

Kannik

Hero
Even for Cortex Prime, I suspect we'd want different implementations for different eras or styles.
Aye, and which might be an advantage. Tweakable to enhance and emphasize what's appropriate for each era and style while maintaining an overall commonality.

Carnun

Explorer
I would like to see an official Star Wars rpg using Savage Worlds, Honor + Intrigue (Basic Action Games), or Black Star (Lakeside Games).
Black Star looks pretty awesome. I recently bought it (it's definitely not Star Wars) and I love what the author has done with the PbtA engine. Though I think the game has too many skills (I think they're called 'abilities'), or too many overlapping skills.

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Honestly what I would love...in addition to a purpose-built system that solved the Jedi/non-Jedi problem...is for it to be a low-crunch, rules-light game. I'd love to play it with kids ages 8-12 who love Star Wars.

Greg K

Legend
Black Star looks pretty awesome. I recently bought it (it's definitely not Star Wars) and I love what the author has done with the PbtA engine. Though I think the game has too many skills (I think they're called 'abilities'), or too many overlapping skills.
I think you are thinking of Black Stars Rise. Black Star from Lakeside Games is not pbta. It is a rules light(?) game designed for space opera and has been called a Star Wars knock-off by some.

In Black Star, character abilities are Blasting, Brawling, Diplomacy, Discipline, Instinct, Intellect, Speed, Strength, Tools, Transportation which are rated 0-5. Furthermore, starting characters receive two archetypes from among the following: Diplomat, Expert, Fighter, Heavy, Mystic, Outlaw, Pilot, Scout, Soldier, Tech (The companion adds two additional archetypes: Fringer and Psychic) . The Archetypes are talents and starting characters receive an additional talent from each of their archetypes plus one additional archetype.
The pdfs for both the core rules and the companion are about $5 each on drivethrurpg. The print versions are available on lulu for about $9 each (if I recall correctly).

Last edited:

Carnun

Explorer
I think you are thinking of Black Stars Rise. Black Star from Lakeside Games is not pbta. It is a rules light(?) game designed for space opera and has been called a Star Wars knock-off by some.

In Black Star, character abilities are Blasting, Brawling, Diplomacy, Discipline, Instinct, Intellect, Speed, Strength, Tools, Transportation which are rated 0-5. Furthermore, starting characters receive two archetypes from among the following: Diplomat, Expert, Fighter, Heavy, Mystic, Outlaw, Pilot, Scout, Soldier, Tech (The companion adds two additional archetypes: Fringer and Psychic) . The Archetypes are talents and starting characters receive an additional talent from each of their archetypes plus one additional archetype.
The pdfs for both the core rules and the companion are about $5 each on drivethrurpg. The print versions are available on lulu for about $9 each (if I recall correctly).
Black Star by Lakeside Games is exactly the game I'm talking about. I don't know what to tell ya, the PbtA influence seems pretty apparent to me, lol. I know it's not an official PbtA game but looks like an obvious spinoff to me. I'd be shocked if the author stated otherwise.
But now I'm going to google that other game.

Last edited:

Remove ads