Modiphius' Conan TTRPG Is Ending

At the end of this year, Modiphius' license to publish the 2d20-powered Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of is coming to an end. Taking over with a new roleplaying game will be French publisher Monolith Edition, which already produces the official boardgame.

While the license ends on December 31st, you will still be able to buy existing stock until the end of June 2023.

Other Conan games include Mongoose Publishing's Conan: The Roleplaying Game, which used the d20 System back in 2004, TSR's Conan Roleplaying Game in 1985, and even 1984 D&D adventure modules called Conan Unchained! and Conan Against Darkness!

Conan_RPG_69bfdadd-a3da-411a-8e03-4796e4cf5b53_600x.jpg

MONOLITH HANDED THE CONAN ROLEPLAYING GAME LINE FROM MODIPHIUS FOR NEW EXCITING ROLEPLAYING STORIES IN THE HYBORIAN AGE!

“When we first started exploring Robert E. Howard’s world of Conan, little did we imagine the full expanse of what was to come. It’s been an incredible journey working with top Conan scholars, talented writers and artists who gave their all to dig deep into the Conan stories and bring them to life in a truly authentic way.” Said Chris Birch, Chief Creative Officer of Modiphius Entertainment. “Now with twenty beautiful hardback books to our name and numerous beautiful accessories, we are ready to call time on our journeys across Hyboria. We’ve reached the point where we feel like we have done justice to REH’s words, delivered some incredible Conan swords & sorcery gaming, and reached the ends of the Hyborian world in every direction we could imagine. It’s time to pass on the mantle to new hands who can tell a new story in the Hyborian age!”

The roleplaying game line, under licence from Heroic Signatures (Formally Cabinet Entertainment), will end on Dec 31st, no more re-stocks are being ordered, and all stock will be sold by June 30th 2023.

If you’ve been waiting to pick up one of the books, now is your chance, either from retail or from the US or UK-based webstores. Get them while you can!

Matthew John, Conan Board Game Developer for Monolith added “For 8 years now, Conan, Heroic Signatures and Monolith have been treading the lands of Robert E. Howard’s Hyborian Age, finding grand inspiration for our products. Our board game, which rallied tens of thousands of players, was soon joined by a great role-playing game, thanks to Modiphius, who did a fantastic job diving deep into this exciting setting. As fans, we’ll be forever grateful to Modiphius for their work and our collaborations on Conan.

We’ve said it before, Howard's stories are part of Monolith’s DNA, and so we happily accepted Heroic Signatures’ offer to develop our own Conan roleplaying game–one we can infuse with our passion and unique creative vision. While we prepare our next Conan board game project, which will offer new, long-awaited features next year, we wanted to let fans know it is not the only Conan game we’re bringing to the table–or rather, your tables.

So…Monolith will bring back the Conan board game, then an all-new role-playing game! And who knows–it’s certainly possible that our admiration for Robert E.Howard's work will lead us beyond the borders of the Hyborian Age.

Stay tuned, Conan fans; we’re just getting started”.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I suspect there is a BIG drop off after Harry Potter and Gandalf, if Conan is number three. But you're right that he's probably in the top 10. (I suspect Percy Jackson is number three. Sorry, fellow olds.)

And Goodman Games just had a long live interview with Michael Moorcock and spent a lot of time posting about his catalog recently. While I cannot imagine that Chaosium will willingly give up that license, I wouldn't be shocked if a Goodman Games DCC Elric project was announced next year, through some sort of licensing deal.

Dioltach

Legend
The Jason Momoa film was unwatchable (sorry, Jason Momoa) and Marvel Comics' bizarre idea, upon regaining the comics license, was to stick him in the Avengers.
I was really excited about Jason Momoa being cast as Conan. Based on GoT, I thought he'd bring a perfect brooding presence to the role. As it was, the kid who played "young Conan" in the opening sequence did a better job of projecting the sullen brooding.

I'm sure that there's all sorts of YA fantasy heroes that "The Youngs" know way more than Conan, definitely.

Still, top ten for a franchise creeping up on 100 years-old, created by an author that's been dead for almost as long, isn't too bad.

I sincerely hope that Goodman Games is heavily foreshadowing a Moorcock-based IP coming from them. That would be such a great fit.

I suspect there is a BIG drop off after Harry Potter and Gandalf, if Conan is number three. But you're right that he's probably in the top 10. (I suspect Percy Jackson is number three. Sorry, fellow olds.)

And Goodman Games just had a long live interview with Michael Moorcock and spent a lot of time posting about his catalog recently. While I cannot imagine that Chaosium will willingly give up that license, I wouldn't be shocked if a Goodman Games DCC Elric project was announced next year, through some sort of licensing deal.

agrayday

Explorer
You know who would do really well with this license? Goodman Games. If freaking Empire of the East can get the DCC treatment, Conan ought to. Heck, a large part of the vibe of DCC is straight out of Conan.

It would also set up situations where you could, at last, have Conan team up with/fight Fafhrd, which is a good thing.
I wish they (Goodman) had the Tekumel License as well. :)

MGibster

Legend
I think Tekumel is damaged goods, due to the creator’s attitudes. Even if it’s an influential setting, it’s just one of hundreds now and young people don’t know it… so my guess is it will languish.
I wouldn't touch it with a 29 and a half foot pole. Lovecraft's bad enough, but his attitudes were never hidden and we've come to terms with them one way or another. I wouldn't want to open that particular can of worms with Tekumel no matter how fat and juicy they might be.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases