log in or register to remove this ad

 

D&D 4E Mongoose and 4e?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Anyone know what the old Mongoose's plans are for 4e?

I can see them updating their Slayer's Guides quite easily as there was little crunch there to begin with.

However, as they have several great sword and sorcery gems, and one of the things we've seen about 4e is a reduction of magic and more inherent abilities, I'd love to see Eternal Champion and other d20 adaptions of materials they have.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Publisher
JoeGKushner said:
Anyone know what the old Mongoose's plans are for 4e?

They announced earlier this year that they're done coming up with new stuff for d20. The few games that they have that are still d20 are slowly going to be converted to house systems (RuneQuest, Traveller). I think 2E B5 was the last new thing that they put out (save flaming cobra products) that will be d20.
 


HeinorNY

First Post
They announced earlier this year that they're done coming up with new stuff for d20. The few games that they have that are still d20 are slowly going to be converted to house systems (RuneQuest, Traveller). I think 2E B5 was the last new thing that they put out (save flaming cobra products) that will be d20.
Nice, now I can finally completelly forget about Mongoose Publishing's existence... hmm no, they still have Conan d20 :(
 

Imaro

Hero
Well I, for one, am happy that Mongoose isn't jumping blindly onto the d20 wagon. I have grown to really enjoy their Runequest system (especially for Swords & Sorcery style gaming.), and the more support it gets he happier I am. Besides by giving more support to their house gaming system and less to d20/D&D they can better guard against things like what happened with Conan 2nd edition...released on the coat tails of 4e's announcement and ensure that their product schedule isn't beholden to another publisher's unknown timetable.

I also hold no ill-will for companies like Mongoose and Paizo, who actually want to see the rules before making a commitment to publishing 4th ed. material, I mean that's what a responsible company would do. In fact it's the companies who are swearing to support 4e, sight unseen and as soon as it's out, that I am wary of. I definitely won't be picking up to many of these "first out the door products" regardless of the company since I got my fill of that with 3e.
 

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Publisher
DaveMage said:
Here's what Matt said about 2 months ago (go to post #3).

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=206225

Ahhh, missed this. I was working off of this quote (reference):

SA: ... Is it fair to say that the d20 era of Mongoose is over--or at least the d20-era-when-it-really-meant-D&D-supplements?

MS: The latter, yes--though Conan will still be based on the d20 engine …

Your quote is more recent.
 



dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Publisher
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
No distracting them with 4E until the new Traveler is released, please.

Well... not until the OTU setting book is released and maybe even Starship Troopers ... then distract them all you want.

Just teasing, Matt.
 


dmccoy1693 said:
Well... not until the OTU setting book is released and maybe even Starship Troopers ... then distract them all you want.

Just teasing, Matt.
Are they doing a single OTU book, or more than one?

And if they're doing other settings, I really, really, really want them to stat up the Aliens universe, even if it's just a tiny little paperback. Enough screwing around with half-measures already: Nuke 'em from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.
 

Melan

Explorer
I can see Mongoose wait until the dust settles, and establish their pocket core books line as a small but profitable evergreen product line for the disaffected 3.5 fans and their new recruits. :)
 

Brennin Magalus

First Post
Melan said:
I can see Mongoose wait until the dust settles, and establish their pocket core books line as a small but profitable evergreen product line for the disaffected 3.5 fans and their new recruits. :)

If their Quintessential line is any indication, then please no. That would be akin to Battlefield Earth 2.
 

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Publisher
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Are they doing a single OTU book, or more than one?

While I don't know for sure, I am reasonably certain that they're going to do a core OTU book followed by a series of supplements detailing other parts.

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
And if they're doing other settings, I really, really, really want them to stat up the Aliens universe, even if it's just a tiny little paperback. Enough screwing around with half-measures already: Nuke 'em from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.

They haven't announced a licence for that. However they are doing Starship Troopers, Judge Dredd, and Strontium Dog.
 

TerraDave

5ever
Imaro: They jumped off that band wagon, at what (in hindsight) looks like just the right time.

If the 4thed launch goes well, I wouldn't be surprised if they started to do 4e-d20 stuff for a while. Since that would make money. And they seem to be good at that.
 

Imaro

Hero
TerraDave said:
Imaro: They jumped off that band wagon, at what (in hindsight) looks like just the right time.

I would say almost jumped off that bandwagon. As I said in my earlier post Conan 2nd edition is still d20 (though on their boards alot of customers asked for it as a Runequest setting). I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't sell as well as they expected it to just because 4e was announced. In the end this is a big risk when you base the majority of your products on another company's game. I think companies like Green Ronin(True20) and Mongoose(Runequest) realized this at a certain point.

TerraDave said:
If the 4thed launch goes well, I wouldn't be surprised if they started to do 4e-d20 stuff for a while. Since that would make money. And they seem to be good at that.

I could totally see them doing this, the difference between them and such companies as Paizo and Necromancer Games who really are kind of beholden to WotC for sales, is that when the newness of 4e slows down (or a new edition is announced) they continue to have customers who are loyal to their other brands. Thus they can better weather the inevitable dry spells of d20 publishing. All IMHO of course.
 

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Imaro said:
I would say almost jumped off that bandwagon. As I said in my earlier post Conan 2nd edition is still d20 (though on their boards alot of customers asked for it as a Runequest setting). I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't sell as well as they expected it to just because 4e was announced. In the end this is a big risk when you base the majority of your products on another company's game. I think companies like Green Ronin(True20) and Mongoose(Runequest) realized this at a certain point.

Conan is OGL, not d20. The differences between Conan and D&D 3.5 are subtler than between True20 and D&D 3.5, but they're definitely there. You can't port directly between the systems the way you could with, say, d20 Modern or Grim Tales, although conversion is a lot easier than with True20.

I don't really think Conan 2e will end up harder hit by D&D 4e than it would have if it had been a RuneQuest release. The blow was much more to the Conan 2e reveal's visibility and marketing, not to the system itself. No more, at least, than 4e will be a blow to other d20-derived incompatible systems like True20.

Imaro said:
I could totally see them doing this, the difference between them and such companies as Paizo and Necromancer Games who really are kind of beholden to WotC for sales, is that when the newness of 4e slows down (or a new edition is announced) they continue to have customers who are loyal to their other brands. Thus they can better weather the inevitable dry spells of d20 publishing. All IMHO of course.

Agreed. Mongoose is in a much better position than a pure d20 company would be - even a better position than, say, Green Ronin. True20 and Mutants and Masterminds are still tied to some extent to the d20 system, whereas lines like RuneQuest, Traveler and the Mongoose minis games are completely independent.

About the only other company with that kind of security, albeit on a smaller scale, is Privateer Press, for whom the d20 material is basically a hobby next to the runaway success of their minis game.
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top