Mongoose is Looking for a Full-time Brand Manager

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher

Brand Manager​

Want to work for Mongoose Publishing full-time?

We have a permanent position opening up that requires a very special candidate. We will therefore not be setting any time limit on applications, though be aware that once we find the right person we will look to move quickly.

Mongoose is casting the net to find a Brand Manager who can handle all our marketing efforts, both online and face-to-face, and drive both our own and licensed brands. The candidate must be capable of driving both direct and distributor-based sales of our entire product line, engaging customers on a constant basis, and developing and implementing marketing campaigns. In the event of an interview we will expect the candidate to outline a plan to do just this, using specific examples with our products.

The position is full-time and permanent, and the candidate would have to live and work in Swindon (United Kingdom). That part is non-negotiable, as we work as a tightly knit team.

The ideal candidate will be:
  • Deeply familiar with all forms of social media
  • Prepared to give presentations both in person and in front of a camera
  • A gamer
  • Familiar with our existing games, as well as have a broad knowledge of other games, both tabletop and electronic
  • Capable of following social media trends and taking advantage of them
  • Capable of producing copy text
  • Capable of producing simple videos using Adobe suite software
  • Passionate about the industry, the company, and the games
  • Able to work on their own initiative, analysing data, identifying areas to drive marketing efforts, and implementing campaigns
  • Provide longer term strategic direction for our brands, in terms of both sales, visibility, and entry into new markets
In return, we can offer:
  • A starting base salary of £24-27,500
  • Substantial team-based bonuses based upon company performance
  • Company car
  • Company phone
  • A core position in a company moving towards employee-ownership
  • Many office trips and events
If you know someone who might be interested in this, feel free to pass this message on. If you yourself are interested, then you need to get on our radar.

We recently posted our yearly State of the Mongoose (State of the Mongoose 2022). The first half of this will give you some idea of what it is like to work with us.

In any event, you can contact us at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com with a CV and covering letter.

GreyLord

Legend
I don't think it was that bad until I saw that they were only offering £24,00-27,500, with all those qualifications that could be hard to find.

I'd say they either already have someone in mind and are just posting so they can fill that checkmark, or really will look at anyone who submits something but are in no rush so can afford to wait until someone who at least fits a lot of those items (but not necessarily ALL those items) comes along that they both like and is willing to work doing all that for that amount of pay.

Of course, it doesn't quantify what or how much to be expected out of bonuses so that could be either really good, or really bad. I'd beg for a portion or percentage of sales as a bonus spelled out in the contract (so it would still be dependent on how well you did as a brand manager, but not subject to their whims of how much they feel they should give you which may end up being a zero dollar bonus even if sales our beyond the roof).

If someone is super enthusiastic about Mongoose or a product of theirs though, they may be willing to take that amount of pay just so they can be working there. For that type of person with the right qualifications it could be the opportunity of a lifetime.

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
I'd say they either already have someone in mind and are just posting so they can fill that checkmark, or really will look at anyone who submits something but are in no rush so can afford to wait until someone who at least fits a lot of those items (but not necessarily ALL those items) comes along that they both like and is willing to work doing all that for that amount of pay.

Of course, it doesn't quantify what or how much to be expected out of bonuses so that could be either really good, or really bad. I'd beg for a portion or percentage of sales as a bonus spelled out in the contract (so it would still be dependent on how well you did as a brand manager, but not subject to their whims of how much they feel they should give you which may end up being a zero dollar bonus even if sales our beyond the roof).
All fair points, and worth a response.

First off, look what else is on offer. If you are into gaming, I think we can put something together that will be extremely hard to beat in many markets. When it comes to the bonuses, I can tell you that a) in this financial year, the staff here will be effectively doubling their salaries and b) more often than not, it is the staff themselves who decide their level of bonus.

I know that last might sound odd, so I will digress a little - as Mongoose is heading towards becoming employee-owned, the staff are trained in handling the finances of the company (among many other things). They know what the company needs to survive and grow, and understand how much is safe to declare as a bonus and what would be going too far. If anything, I would say they have, at times, been a bit too conservative :) However, we are at the stage where they propose possible bonuses (or not) every month.

What I would say is this... If anyone is reading this and is remotely interested in the position... ask us for an interview. It will only cost you a trip to Swindon. Come and see what we are doing and how. You will have the chance to talk, in depth, with all of the staff here - listen to them, and then make a decision as to whether you feel it is worth it. I suspect this job posting is underselling things a fair bit, but as you point out, we can afford to wait on this job posting and we absolutely want someone who has the passion for the position.

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
I wish Mongoose the best of luck. If this posting had gone out a decade ago and you were willing to sponsor an American, I would have been chuffed to come work for such a great company in the land of my Great Grandfather. As it stands, I'm married now, have kids, and all of my wife's family lives in this town.

Remove ads