• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mongoose Publishing d20/OGL: Best Books? (Updated: Sept/2012)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I like the "City" books - Highthrone, Skraag, Stormhaven and Stonebridge. (I think there were four.) They are interesting places to stick in your campaign world.

I liked the city books also. Skraag was one of Wil Upchurch's first books. Stormhaven is an interesting city in the middle of the sea concept.
Stormhaven was a no brainer for me to get after reading about it on the Grand OGL Wiki; although, I haven't figured out exactly where I'm going to put it on World of Kulan.

I'll likely get Stonebridge and maybe the other two but those books aren't a priority right now.

The Seas of Blood stuff was evocative; I think "Classic Play: Book of the Sea" is a compilation of it, but I'm not sure.

Classic Play: Book of the Sea is a worthwhile purchase.
What exactly is in Book of the Sea? What makes it different than say Stormwrack or the Legends and Lairs Seafarer's Handbook?

In other words, what makes it cool? :cool:

Last edited:

scourger

Explorer
Okay, so which Mongoose books, that you still own, do you recommend?

Judge Dredd d20 is a great one to me. It was the first time that I really saw the d20 system (3e) used well for a completely different genre. I still like the idea of limited classes (judge or citizen) with the character development coming from skill & feat choices. Just a nicely done game and one I have kept. The core book I like best, followed by the 4 published adventures. Although I only ran 2 of them, I still hope to finish the series. It will probably never happen, but it was a fun play while it lasted.

Conan OGL I kept for nostalgia. Although I find the crunch a little too much for what essentailly should be D&D in Hyboria, the fluff is worth keeping to me. Again, all I have is the core book. I'll never run it, but I might use the setting material if I ever get my Sons of Conan game going.

Man-thing

First Post

Okay, I have the material and will begin working on the content this week. Now MGP had some sort of agreement with WOTC to use that PI term. I can not use that term on the Grand OGL Wiki as I am not party to that agreement.

So are they:

Serpentfolk
or
Something else.

Do you want to name them, Knightfall?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, I have the material and will begin working on the content this week. Now MGP had some sort of agreement with WOTC to use that PI term. I can not use that term on the Grand OGL Wiki as I am not party to that agreement.

So are they:

Serpentfolk
or
Something else.

Do you want to name them, Knightfall?
I'd say go with Serpentfolk or Snakemen.

Man-thing

First Post
Nice to hear. :)

My goal in that was to write "The book I want to have with me for when it comes to improvise like mad."

The Ultimate NPCs is a great book. I'm glad to have gotten its content up on the GOW earlier this month. I think Lizard did a number of other books for Mongoose that I need to get up there as well.

- Mark

Remove ads