• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mongoose Publishing d20/OGL: Best Books? (Updated: Sept/2012)

Greg K

Legend
I like Quintessential Monk. I also heard really good things about Quintessential Sorcerer, but it also got a lot of negative word due to binding issues.

Oh, and I loved the free web enhancement for Quintessential Druid (even if I never saw the actual book).

Ultimate NPCs is a great resource to own. It's 3.5 and was written by Lizard so the game mechanics are fairly accurate. ;)
The proof readers are listed as Mark Quennell and Sarah Quinnell.

The similarity in the surnames made me wonder whether they in fact have the same surname, but failed to spot in one case that it had been spelt incorrectly.

catsclaw227

First Post
The proof readers are listed as Mark Quennell and Sarah Quinnell.

The similarity in the surnames made me wonder whether they in fact have the same surname, but failed to spot in one case that it had been spelt incorrectly.

Mark Quennell has an entry on Pen-Paper.net for proofreading credits on a number of books.

Sarah Quinnell
has an entry for herself as well.

Different book credits listed, but the "creatorid" in the URL leads me to believe that they were created one right after another in the database.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
First post has been updated again. I'm going to post a new "to get" list to replace the one that was in this post. -KF

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Well, I've decided to resurrect another one of my old Best Books threads. This thread was more of a success than the one for FFE, since Mongoose's books are significantly better.

However, I'm still looking for opinions on this list. Good reviews are becoming harder to locate online for d20 System/OGL books.

I've taken the plunge into the Quintessential and Advanced Tactics series, but I've yet to do any serious research into the II's. Most of the 3.0 books from the initial Quint run aren't on my radar. However, I've heard great things about the Witch book, which is why it's listed below.

The Encyclopaedia Arcane books also fascinate me, and I'm 99% sure I'm going to get the Arcane Compendium; I just have to stop buying other things when I go to get it. The same is true for the Expert Player's Guides.

Cheers!

Knightfall

The List

Advanced Tactics
Quintessential Bard II, The
Quintessential Dwarf II, The
Quintessential Elf II, The
Quintessential Fighter II, The

Quintessential Monk II, The "got it"
Quintessential Paladin II, The
Quintessential Ranger II, The
Quintessential Rogue II, The
Quintessential Wizard II, The

Classic Play
Book of Adventuring
Book of Hell
Book of Strongholds & Dynasties
Book of the Sea, The

Collector Series
Quintessential Chaos Mage, The "got it"
Quintessential Drow, The
Quintessential Halfling, The "got it"
Quintessential Kobold, The
Quintessential Ranger, The "got it"
Quintessential Temptress, The
Quintessential Witch, The

Were the Kobold and Temptress books ever released in a physical format? I wasn't aware of them until I check Mongoose's list on RPGNow.

Encyclopaedia Arcane
Abjuration: Shielded by Sorcery "got it"
Components and Foci: The Materials of Magic
Drow Magic

Encyclopaedia Arcane: Compendium "got it"
Magic Item Creation "got it"

Expert Player's Guides
Vol. II, Renegade Cleric's Tome
Vol. III, Epic Monsters

Slayer's Guides
Centaurs
Harpies
Kobolds "got it"
Lizardfolk
Medusas
Scorpionfolk
Titans "got it"
Undead

The slayer's guides rock! I've collected quite a few, and I'm looking to get most of them. I don't think I'm going to go near the joke ones, however. :erm:

Ultimate Series
Rulebook IX, Ultimate Monsters
Rulebook X, Ultimate Magic Items
Rulebook XI, Ultimate Character Concepts
Rulebook XII, Ultimate NPC's

I'm fairly certain I want to get all of these. The monster book is the highest priority item on the list.

The Miscy
Encyclopaedia Psionica: World Shapers "got it"
Mongoose Pocket Player's Handbook
Monster Encyclopaedia, Volume One: Ravagers of the Realms
Monster Encyclopaedia, Volume Two: Dark Bestiary
Ruins of the Dragon Lord [Boxed Set]
Skraag: City Of Orcs "got it"
Tome of Drow Lore, The "got it"

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Why not check them out yourself over on the Grand OGL Wiki? ;)

(Seriously, several of the books you list are available over there.)

Alzrius, I am aware of the Grand OGL Wiki. And it was that web site that got me interested in more of the Quint. books and that made it clear I have to get the two Monster Encyclopaedias.

Yet, the information there gives only part of the story. If I'm going to invest in a physical copy, I want to know what else the offers besides its OGL content.

Remove ads