Mongoose Traveller: Legacy of Armistice

hopeless

Adventurer
I was wondering initially whether anyone played or run this.

I'm still working through the details for a game which i hope I can develop into a campaign where the Spinward Marches was cut off from the rest of the Solomani Rim by a war.

The Imperium forces in the Marches was taken over by the Solomani Empire.

Instead of having an X-Boat route they have a Stellar Gate Network which is like a Stargate Atlantis meets Babylon V Jump Gate allowing instaneous travel between systems holding these gates.

My game starts 151 years later so that access to the Mongoose Traveller's Spinward Marches book doesn't effect the game since its way out of date.

I have run an introduction to this idea of mine but made the mistake of generating the characters myself instead of using pre-gens.

How did you deal with your first game and those that played this particular version of Traveller what was your experiences?

Actually, I have ordered a few books of it (that was, Mongoose Traveller. Ordered the main book, Spinward Marches and the Hammer's Slammers 'expansion'). I think it's interesting (as a 'hard' sci-fi RPG), but w/o me owning any yet, I wouldn't be at full freedom to make an opinion.

Or at least one that doesn't sounds stupid.

deinol

First Post
Hey! I don't frequent this area of the boards, so I didn't notice a Traveller thread before. I think Traveller players tend to frequent more Trav specific forums, either Mongoose's official ones or the Citizens of the Imperium boards.

I have to say generating a character is part of the Traveller experience, and any long game you should help your players through the process. On the other hand, being able to make fast pregens is useful if you just want to let them try out the game for a one or two shot. If you look at the Mongoose Living Traveller rules there are some fast point buy type rules that would make creating NPCs or Pre-gens easier.

I'm not a stickler for Traveller canon, so definitely tweak and modify your game as you like. I just thought I'd mention that in the "official" Traveller universe the Solomani Rim is very, very far from the Spinward Marches. Sol is something like 70 parsecs (~228 light years) from Core, and the Spinward Marches are a similar distance in another direction from core. Doesn't really matter as you are mostly talking about leaving it cut off from the Imperium in general. Anyway, I suggest The Traveller Map as an amazing resource. There are also some PDFs over in the old Gurps Traveller that I've found very useful.

Jump gates work fine in a Traveller style game. The important factor is that ships travel faster than information. It probably takes 3 years for news of a war on the Solomni Rim to reach the Spinward Marches. Wars easily last dozens of years because of the time lag between organizing fleets and maneuvering. Battles won't be raging every second of that time, but conflicts tend to be short bursts of excitement over a long period of time. In fact, 150 years might be about the right amount of time for the Solmoni to conquer most of the Imperium again.

One thing that always bothered me about Stargate is how relatively undefended most Star gates were. Sure, on a lot of 'primitive' worlds they weren't supposed to know what they really were. I'd still think that the bad guys would station troops at every gate they could.

Anyway, I tend to ramble when it comes to games I like. Traveller is fun, I look forward to hearing more about your game in the future.

Remove ads