• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk = __________ Striker

The_Fan

First Post
First instict is psionic, but psionics already have a great striker lined up in the Soulknife. Could double up though, like martial strikers.

Second is divine. Divine needs a striker, and monks fit that role to a T. I don't see its abilities being called prayers, though the paladin's hardly fit either.

Bandreus

First Post
I think (and hope) the new monk class will probably be featured in some DDI preview article, alongside the berserk, bard, druid, to be later put into PH2.

In my mind the monk should definitelly be Martial. Although Ki may feel a lot like some arcane and mystic force of nature, it's mainly an higher level of skill one achieves trough deep training of his body, breathing and concentration skills (think ie to Shaolin). DnD is not real world, so supernatural abilities coming from deep training is no problem, or at least this is how I look at it.

Talking about his role, I don't really see the monk fit well the defender. Given his sup bonus to AC and even a light armor, being a Martial Artist is all about speed, acrobatics and ease of movement, not absorbing enemy attacks. A monk could (and should) possibly be more of a die hard, compared to a rogue/warlock, but not as much good as a warrior/paladin when coming down to taking damage.

So I would say a monk would make for a good striker, with some twist. I'm thinking about powers that let the monk perform counterattacks, grab his enemy and throw him around, perform flying kicks while charging and other stunts, other than the classic ki-shot with stun effect or gattling punches.

Alikar

First Post
Personally I love the idea of Ki as an energy source next to arcane and divine. To be more clear here is how I see the currently known power sources:

Martial: The strength of the body.
Arcane: The power of Magic.
Divine: The power of belief.
Primal: The force of Nature.
Ki: The might of the soul?

Divine Striker

I've become increasingly skeptical of the idea of a Ki power source. It indubitably ends up coming off as a sort of internment camp to "protect" other power sources from insidious oriental influence. :\

Last edited:

Aristotle

First Post
Psionic Striker. It is much less focused than the soulknife (possibly a paragon path?) and I think the whole "mind over body" concept really fits both the general concept of a monk and the psionic power source.

I'd be alright with Divine too.

I think Ki is adequitely covered by a number of other power sources and not necessary. I wouldn't have any problem with it as a special power source in a campaign setting, but it feels redundant to me in the setting neutral environment.

Mort_Q

First Post
Psi Striker ! I always thought of Ki as a more limited subset of Psi anyway.

[edit]

It wouldn't bother me if Monk was divine either, but that's still my second choice.

Last edited:

Green Knight

First Post
Divine Striker

Agreed. I've been thinking that making the Monk a Divine Striker would be a good idea. Besides, with the talk about a Divine Controller, I think it'd be great to have a party which consists of members of a religious order (With a Paladin, Cleric, Monk, and Priest).

Barring that, Ki Striker. Ki /= Martial /= Psi.

Remove ads