Monk Build Help

Two things:

1) Recommended Feats:
a) Weapon Finesse - Unarmed Combat You have a great dexterity score, so you might as well use it to better hit your opponents with.
b) Improved Grapple - After you've grappled someone, you just stand there and beat the crap out of them with your fists. .

2) Alternate Classes:
I'm probably of the minority here that monks should not multi-class, because their better abilities are at the higher levels. However, a level or two in Sorcerer would be fine for buff spells like Mage Armor, Shield, etc.
Best of Luck.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
1) Recommended Feats:
a) Weapon Finesse - Unarmed Combat You have a great dexterity score, so you might as well use it to better hit your opponents with.
b) Improved Grapple - After you've grappled someone, you just stand there and beat the crap out of them with your fists.

a. The OP already has Intuitive Attack, which adds Wis to attack rolls instead of str. His Wis is currently equal to Dex, and based on his plans to use Stunning Fist (and that monk's wis to AC applies while flatfooted and dex does not), I figured he would be raising wisdom with highest priority. There is no reason for him to also have Weapon Finesse. Shadow Blade from Tome of Battle, on the other hand, to add dex to damage on top of strength, would be a great idea. Handily, it also counts as Weapon Finesse for meeting pre-requisites if that somehow became important.

b. Monks aren't good at grappling, especially without massive str scores. Improved Grapple wouldn't be very useful for this build.

2) Alternate Classes:
I'm probably of the minority here that monks should not multi-class, because their better abilities are at the higher levels. However, a level or two in Sorcerer would be fine for buff spells like Mage Armor, Shield, etc.
Best of Luck.

Sorcerer wouldn't be a very good choice, look at his charisma score! And he's locked in with Vow of Poverty. No quick fixes with a cloak of charisma. (And I can't ellicit how much of a waste it would be to make charisma his first VoP ability score bonus [which then locks it in as the highest one forever] just to "make sorcerer work.") Sure, he could cast first level spells. But that's it. Much better to use a wis-based casting class and go into a monk-caster prestige class.

Dandu

First Post
b) Improved Grapple - After you've grappled someone, you just stand there and beat the crap out of them with your fists.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome Freedom of Movement is.

2) Alternate Classes:
I'm probably of the minority here that monks should not multi-class, because their better abilities are at the higher levels.
What better abilities?

parinho7

First Post
I'm thinking along the lines of quick attacks and jumping and the like

take a look at the skill tricks at complete scoundrel

monk prestige classes:
-sword of righteousness (boed): 3 levels only easy access, just gives you bonus exalted feats
-Crane Shen (Dragon magazine 319): unarmed combatant that mimics a crane by moving fast & blocking attacks, and eventually gaining a hybrid battle form
-Dragon Shen(Dragon magazine 319): unarmed combatant that mimics a dragon by imbuing his/her fists with acid, cold, electricity, or fire, and eventually gaining a hybrid battle form.
-Mantis Shen(Dragon magazine 319): unarmed combatant that mimics a Praying Mantis with excellent grappling, disarming, & tripping, and eventually gaining a hybrid battle form.
-Panther Shen (Dragon magazine 319): unarmed combatant that mimics a panther by moving fast & striking quickly, and eventually gaining a hybrid battle form.
-Snake Shen (Dragon magazine 319) :unarmed combatant that mimics a snake by attacking with Intelligence & making each strike hurt, and eventually gaining a hybrid battle form
Tiger Shen (Dragon magazine 319): unarmed combatant that mimics a tiger by striking the correct location to paralyze & becoming immune to fear, and
eventually gaining a hybrid battle form.
- initiate of pistis sophia (boed)
- Master of the east/west/north/south wind (dragon magazine 314)
- Monk of the Long Death (players guide to faerun) : don't know details but pgf has good thing in it:p

my suggestion is take some levels of scout and improved skirmish
if you go this way then you might also take the spring attack tree and bounding assault from ph2.
scout 5/monk 15 : +4d6 bonus damage
and one other thought (other should help because i am not sure if this is possible) is to take two weapon fighting and dual strike so you'll get 3 attacks when you attack as a standard action and benefit from the skirmish bonus

garrick

First Post
Super Monk

I am playing a monk/Fist of the Forest

It's a 3 level PrC from Complete Champion. Fast movement, add Con bonus to AC, plus Frenzy (like rage but +4 dex and +2 damage) plus free bite attack. Many cool bonuses levels 2 and 3, ghost strike on unarmed attacks plus scent and two damage die upgrades for fists and claws.

Wyvernhand

First Post
Have you considered taking fewer levels of monk and taking more levels of Psychic Warrior? With Tashalatora, you can get all the cool stuff of a monk, while getting sweet sweet powers like Expansion and Weapon of the Vampire.

Remove ads