• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Monks making HALO jumps

Warunsun

First Post
Immediately, my mind was filled with György Ligeti's Requiem and visions of dozens of black-op monks dropping from the sky to fight the Tarrasque. :)

[video=youtube;CprUVKGqDTE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CprUVKGqDTE[/video]

Ashoka

First Post
You don't drop from the sky in order to fight a tarrasque -- you float above it, just out of the range of its claws and bite. :)

raleel

Explorer
Immediately, my mind was filled with György Ligeti's Requiem and visions of dozens of black-op monks dropping from the sky to fight the Tarrasque. :)

[video=youtube;CprUVKGqDTE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CprUVKGqDTE[/video]

that is incredibly evocative. When you said it, I filled the entire scene out in my head - monks dropping off of dragons, groundpounder fighter view complete with shakeycam, tarrasque ripping apart castle walls and tossing huge chunks to crush platoons. All eerily silent except for Requiem, all washed out color Saving Private Ryan style.

Quartz

Hero
You don't drop from the sky in order to fight a tarrasque -- you float above it, just out of the range of its claws and bite. :)

How about dropping something suitably large from the sky? Would the carapace reflect that spell Mostin used in Tales of Wyre to kill the deific living spell?

Quartz

Hero
So here's the deal, a 20th level monk jumps off of a flying object, lets say its a flying carpet Empty Body allows him resistance to all damage but Force so he takes 20d6/2. Due to slow fall he then gets to reduce the damage by 100 points. When he hits the ground he's invisible for 1 minute.

The monk better hope that the villain isn't standing there ready to cast Anti Magic Shell just before he lands. :) Or perhaps there's a Glyph of Warding...

fba827

Adventurer
So here's the deal, a 20th level monk jumps off of a flying object, lets say its a flying carpet Empty Body allows him resistance to all damage but Force so he takes 20d6/2. Due to slow fall he then gets to reduce the damage by 100 points. When he hits the ground he's invisible for 1 minute.

It is just me or are monks actually SpecOps HALO jumpers.

I realize you were pointing it out for the joke there, but I believe* that the resistance rule says to apply resistance after all modifiers have already been added/subtracted. So it'd be (20d6-100)/2.
* I am speaking from memory and away from my books right now, additionally I'm not very familiar with those monk features so I might be entirely wrong here.

All that said, it's 20th level. I don't think I'd bat an eye if a monk did exactly that without but a scratch. :) where is the halo spec ops prestige class/paragon path/epic destiny/whatever it will be called this edition? ;-)

Jekub

First Post
Even IF the villain does cast Anti Magic Shell. it's (20d6)-100. the DM has to roll 19 5's and 1 6 just to hurt the monk! Even IF the DM rolls maximum damage I'm pretty sure a 20th level monk can take 20 HP damage without too much worry!

HALO jump FTW, never mind Empty body. Monks are HALO jumpers extraordinaire!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Doesn't Feather Fall do the same thing?

One wizard (or magic initiate) for each team at level 1, and you have HALO special forces.

Remove ads