D&D 5E Monks Suck

But your quantifiable data is faulty, since it distills the natural variables of a game. We need experimentation and playtesting. Not charts and numbers.
What do you mean, experimentation and playtesting? How should the experiment be set up? Are we going to instruct 20 tables to run randomly-selected hardcover adventure from level 1 to 11 and then chart turn-by-turn details? This isn't a reasonable request as it is.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
We're all flawed in our logic here. There's numbers and anecdotes and predictions flying here, there, and everywhere but nobody wants to put in the time to obtain hard, statistical data.

Not DPR, not AC, not charts or graphs about predictions.

What we need are experiments. Not just combat experiments, either. We need to bring playtest adventures to the table and create a log on exactly everyone's effectiveness. That means a literal step-by-step analysis on what a character and DM is doing. Only then can we be conclusive about whether monks do or do not suck.

The relevant variables would include but not be limited to:

Damage taken
Damage given
Short rests taken
Long rests taken
Fun for players
Fun for DM's
Feature used
Spells used
Spell slots consumed

And there can be more variables. But to be frank, I'm sick of these estimations being lauded as facts when nobody has really done anything scientific to back up their claims. We've all just been pretending we really know how useful or useless any given feature is.

One such source might be Critical Role campaign 2 since one of the players is playing a monk. There are sites that analyze every aspect of that campaign. I suspect the data would be interesting and relevant (@Treantmonklvl20 actually refers to this data in his analysis).

Edit: of course this campaign doesn't use pregen adventures and the encounter design is far, far from the typical 6-8 encounter adventuring day but still - likely relevant.

G

Guest 6801328

It's a bad look if the argument is, "Look, I don't care about your data --- I have my gut feelings!"

You're right. That would be a bad argument.

Except...that's not what the argument is. The argument is, "Your data makes a bunch of white room assumptions that don't model actual gameplay."

For example, maybe it's true that monks only do 80% (to throw a number out) as much damage as some other class. The argument is NOT, "No, that's wrong, my gut feel is that it's more like 105%". The argument is, "Whatever. When I actually play the game it's still fun, and we still kill stuff. So what's the problem?"

Esker

Hero
No, it's just you're measuring the wrong data (DPR).

That's not the Monks thing.

That's fine --- measure something else then. How about enemy turns denied per day, with some standard assumptions about number and lengths of fights? The important thing is to attempt some sort of objective comparison, otherwise we're just letting out hot air.

1. Make short rests five minutes, or at-will up to 2x per long rest.

2. Give the monk 3x the ki, and let the ki recharge on a long rest.

See? That is what a DM should do. Instead of saying that the DM's narrative demands that the DM cannot either follow the rules or accommodate the players.
Like the CRB (DMG) expressly has options to change rest variances to suit the narrative.

If you want 5 minute (or shorter) Short rests, go for it. If you want 1 week (or longer) long rests, then also go for it.

Whatever suits your narrative.
It's literally right there in the DMG.
It's 2020 and we're still doing the Oberoni Fallacy. I guess 'it's not a game balance problem if you use that optional rule that isn't necessary in 99% of games that don't have a monk' is progress, I guess.

Esker

Hero
You're right. That would be a bad argument.

Except...that's not what the argument is. The argument is, "Your data makes a bunch of white room assumptions that don't model actual gameplay."

As I told Flamestrike, that's fine, if you're countering with better assumptions and doing your own analysis. But nobody defending monks (other than Frogreaver) is doing that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's likely to be about every other round or so, in my experience, assuming a competent party that focuses fire. But I do agree that it's a useful addition. Using the bonus action for that in round 1 means you fall behind flurry-of-blows damage for that round, which is a little rough because the first round is the most important. Relative to a non-flurry round, you're about even --- 2d6 at the cost of 1d6+4, say. But if you flurry the next round, you gain 4d6 * (to-hit) damage --- maybe 9-10 or so on average. So you've increased your damage-per-round in the first two rounds by 4.5-5 or so. It's nice, for sure! Of course, you need to maintain concentration.
So does everyone else using Hex or Hunter's Mark. The monk, unlike most other guys, can on the next round throw out 4 attacks, conservatively at 2d6+3, and take down one of those weaker enemies your combats are apperently full of by themselves. I do have such enemies, but they're still very dangerous and they are support for 1-3 bigger, tougher, enemies.

I'm not sure 2d8+8 is a really relevant baseline for anybody. First of all that assumes a one-handed weapon, so martial characters either have dueling style, or reckless attack, or sneak attack... Dueling style becomes 2d8+12... reckless attack increases damage output by about 50%. And then we get into abilities that use resources but are close to being "at will", like Hex and Hunter's Mark --- they're a 1st level slot for an hour of use. By tier 2 that's pretty indistinguishable from an at-will ability. And then you get into subclass abilities, and feats...
LOL wow. So, Hex and Hunter's Mark is basically at-will, but you play down it's utility on the monk. Okay.

And no, it's not basically at-will. The claim is completely bonkers-level absurd. Every class has other stuff to use spell slots for, in and out of combat, and you never get a "basically at-will" number of first level slots.

I really think that you guys are playing a completely different game than those of us who are pushing back here. I haven't figured out entirely what the difference is, but a big part of it has to be combat design, use of terrain as both challenge and opportunity, etc, but...I don't think that's it.

the reason Treantmonk uses EB+AB+Hex as a baseline is that it's an extremely simple tactic that involves a relatively no-brainer investment (take agonizing blast), is essentially "at-will", and is on a class that has lots of other features that they can use alongside that baseline. It's a low bar for damage for a martial class, because they're not bringing the other features that a warlock brings, so they'd better be better at fighting than the warlock if we're going to consider them to be carrying their weight.

The problem with monks isn't that they have to spend resources, it's that the return on those resources is really low, and they don't have enough of them --- even assuming a standard number of short rests! --- to go toe-to-toe with anybody else in terms of their bottom line contribution.
oof man.
So, the Monk "sucks" if you assume a CharOp heavy game where things always go the way they're assumed to go in a white room analysis.

Nope.

A battle with creatures that go down in one round is just fine if that's happening with the group focusing fire, and if there are enough creatures that the whole fight doesn't end in one round. If a typical combat is 4 rounds, say, then a combat with 4 enemies means that, on average, one of them is going down per round. With more than 4 enemies, on average more than one is going down per round. Unless the party is splitting up their efforts causing nobody to go down for the first three rounds and then all of the enemies to go down at once in the last round (which is just bad tactics), interesting fights (which means fights where there are at least as many enemies as PCs so that the party doesn't just curbstomp with their action economy advantage) you're typically going to have enemies going down every round.

I've run games for optimised characters and for characters built like people, and...no. In either case, I'd consider such a fight a failure on my part, unless it wasn't really there to challenge the PCs significantly.

The scenario we were discussing was one where the rogue takes their turn before the melee characters have closed into melee --- because otherwise they have sneak attack and don't need to ready. It's not a matter of readying an action every round; it's a first round tactic that allows the rogue (absent places to hide, or having a familiar in range, etc.) to get sneak attack off that round.
And that rogue will get attacked in the first round, unless they fail to hit and the enemies don't know they are a threat. And even then, if the enemies have a lurker, then the lightly armored guy hanging back with a bow is a juicy target.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If I had to summarize this thread, I would identify two general groups (with exceptions in both cases, of course):

People with charts and graphs who say monks suck.

People with experience playing monks who say they are fine.

I say monks don’t suck and showed charts and graphs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases