D&D 5E Monks Suck

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It's 2020 and we're still doing the Oberoni Fallacy. I guess 'it's not a game balance problem if you use that optional rule that isn't necessary in 99% of games that don't have a monk' is progress, I guess.

1. Just because you are using a made-up term and say something is a fallacy, doesn't make it so. More succinctly, you're still doing the Rofel Fallacy, and it's 20 comments in.

2. It wouldn't be a "game balance" issue if the DM was following the rules that are set out. There is something almost intensely perverse with your logic here. Let's see what the Rofel Fallacy looks like:

a. The DM shouldn't follow the rules about encounters, because the DM can't allow MERE RULES to affect his DM prerogative to have no short rests.

b. The DM can't be bothered to fix the problems caused by not following the rules, because DMs aren't supposed to FIX RULES!

c. ??????

d. Profit!!!!!!

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
As I told Flamestrike, that's fine, if you're countering with better assumptions and doing your own analysis. But nobody defending monks (other than Frogreaver) is doing that.
Pointing out what's wrong with your assumptions doesn't require us to do a bunch of math, not least of which because our arguments...don't rely on math, because the math is a very small part of how the game actually works.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
This is precisely what I mean by "waving off all other factors as irrelevant." Where are your calculations to estimate the value of Stunning Strike compared to raw DPR? You don't even try. You just say things like "doesn't do them well" and "not a reliable form of control." That's not analysis. It's anecdotal evidence based on your personal experience. Which is fine, but it totally invalidates your claim to be offering more than anecdotes.

If you want to claim your position is backed up by the numbers, you have to run all the numbers. No short cuts--or, at least, only short cuts that both sides agree are reasonable. FrogReaver did some of the work on this by calculating the impact of a stun effect on party DPR. It doesn't account for the value of action denial, which is the most important part of stun, so it's far from the whole picture, but it's headed in the right direction.

Yep. One thing to note about monks is that they get better the more GWM and SS and other high damage combos are in the party.

Picking a Basic GW fighter and a fire bolt wizard was pretty conservative estimate after all.

And yes, the impact of stun needs factored in beyond it granting advantage. I’ll work out an estimate for that later.

G

Guest 6801328

Pointing out what's wrong with your assumptions doesn't require us to do a bunch of math, not least of which because our arguments...don't rely on math, because the math is a very small part of how the game actually works.

Right. For example, earlier I pointed out that modeling the monk's own advantage and crits due to stunning strike totally ignores that all the other melee also get advantage and free crits. How the heck do you even begin to model that?

(I mean, my answer is always "monte carlo sims", but I'm not really interested in doing the work required, just to win an internet argument.)

"Ok, here's the plan: the monk will use stunning strike. Div wizard: you force a failed save. Grave domain cleric: you channel divinity. Rogue: hold action until all that has been done, then sneak attack the s.o.b."

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
What do you mean, experimentation and playtesting? How should the experiment be set up? Are we going to instruct 20 tables to run randomly-selected hardcover adventure from level 1 to 11 and then chart turn-by-turn details? This isn't a reasonable request as it is.

And given the nature of all the different decision points I’d say 20 trials is also far from sufficient. You’d need 100’s

Esker

Hero
So does everyone else using Hex or Hunter's Mark. The monk, unlike most other guys, can on the next round throw out 4 attacks, conservatively at 2d6+3, and take down one of those weaker enemies your combats are apperently full of by themselves. I do have such enemies, but they're still very dangerous and they are support for 1-3 bigger, tougher, enemies.

Yes, so does everyone else. But most other classes are not as dependent on their bonus action as the monk is, and the classes that natively get Hex/Hunter's Mark are usually ranged attackers, so are less susceptible to getting hit multiple times, so are more likely to be able to maintain concentration.

LOL wow. So, Hex and Hunter's Mark is basically at-will, but you play down it's utility on the monk. Okay.

And no, it's not basically at-will. The claim is completely bonkers-level absurd. Every class has other stuff to use spell slots for, in and out of combat, and you never get a "basically at-will" number of first level slots.

I didn't downplay its utility on the monk because it used a spell slot --- though I did say that you'll need a few levels to have enough spell slots to consider it "always on". The critique is that using it has a higher opportunity cost for the monk because of how reliant they are on their bonus action. A warlock using Hex+EB (i.e., the "baseline" character) can deploy their bonus action to move Hex around as much as they want, without cutting into their damage. A monk can't.

I really think that you guys are playing a completely different game than those of us who are pushing back here. I haven't figured out entirely what the difference is, but a big part of it has to be combat design, use of terrain as both challenge and opportunity, etc, but...I don't think that's it.

It may be that I am assuming fewer "solo boss monster" fights. If there are a lot of those, it does improve the monk. As for terrain, it seems to me that many of the things I've pointed out (the value of ranged attacks, the rogue's ability to hide for advantage, etc.) are enhanced by interesting terrain. You want to paint me as doing "white room analysis", but I'm not seeing how the arguments I'm making are based on what happens in a white room. If anything, white rooms are terrible environments for rogues and archers, for example.

So, the Monk "sucks" if you assume a CharOp heavy game where things always go the way they're assumed to go in a white room analysis.

What? How am I assuming this? A warlock who uses Hex is really suboptimal. That's why it's a "baseline". They'd be much better off casting real spells --- hypnotic pattern, for example, which they can do about as often as a tier 2 monk can stun something, and the expected value per use (measured in enemy turns denied) is significantly higher, because it's an AoE. Enough higher that the bit of damage the monk is adding on top of their stuns is insignificant in comparison.

Treantmonk's baseline is a super low bar for monk to clear, in other words. And they can't even do that. Bring in actual optimization and the DM may as well not count them as party members when calibrating CRs.

I've run games for optimised characters and for characters built like people, and...no. In either case, I'd consider such a fight a failure on my part, unless it wasn't really there to challenge the PCs significantly.

How long do your fights typically last? Is four rounds a short fight for you? If not, and your standard fight isn't 1-2 monsters, then how is assuming that on average some enemies are going down most rounds unreasonable? Just, like, mathematically?

And that rogue will get attacked in the first round, unless they fail to hit and the enemies don't know they are a threat. And even then, if the enemies have a lurker, then the lightly armored guy hanging back with a bow is a juicy target.

Sure, if the enemies have decent ranged attacks, they might attack the rogue in the first round, and then they will have given up half of that attack's damage (times the chance they get hit) in hitpoints in order to get their sneak attack off. What is that supposed to show? That characters should never do anything that sacrifices defensive opportunities in the interest of offense?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Right. For example, earlier I pointed out that modeling the monk's own advantage and crits due to stunning strike totally ignores that all the other melee also get advantage and free crits. How the heck do you even begin to model that?

(I mean, my answer is always "monte carlo sims", but I'm not really interested in doing the work required, just to win an internet argument.)
Right. Monk detractors dismiss that Stunning Strike is a team buff, ignore anything environmental, and assume weird stuff like first level concentration spells being “basically at-will”.

But this isn’t 3.5. The game isn’t numbers, and the classes aren’t far enough away from eachother in power for these type of analysis to even matter. If we see someone having a hard time playing a monk, we should be looking to provide advice about playstyle, and things to ask the DM about, because the monk is incredibly fun and satisfying for most people who play it.

Esker

Hero

I can't help you if you want to say that math isn't an important part of having a debate about whether X < Y.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I can't help you if you want to say that math isn't an important part of having a debate about whether X < Y.

The Pontiac Aztek has 93.5 cubic feet of cargo capacity.

The Bugatti Veyron has 1.3 cubic feet of cargo capacity.

HA! By the power of maths, I have now conclusively shown that not only is the Aztek OP, but it is nearly 72 times the car that the Bugatti is.

How you like dem apples, car nerds?

Esker

Hero
Right. Monk detractors dismiss that Stunning Strike is a team buff, ignore anything environmental, and assume weird stuff like first level concentration spells being “basically at-will”.

No, nobody dismisses the "team buff" aspect of Stunning Strike. It very much should be part of the analysis. And it is something which is possible to quantify, if you make some reasonable assumptions about what other PCs will typically do.

First level concentration spells are basically "at-will" when they last an hour (from levels 2-4 --- for a warlock that goes up to 8 hours at level 5, and 24 hours at level 9), and you get two of them per short rest.

But this isn’t 3.5. The game isn’t numbers, and the classes aren’t far enough away from each other in power for these type of analysis to even matter. If we see someone having a hard time playing a monk, we should be looking to provide advice about playstyle, and things to ask the DM about, because the monk is incredibly fun and satisfying for most people who play it.

I want the game to be fun and satisfying as much as anyone else. If a player doesn't really care about their character's power level and is mainly there for the RP, fine! If they want to play a monk, fine! Nobody is telling them not to, or criticizing players for wanting to play monks. The argument isn't "monks suck and nobody should play them", the argument is "if you care when your character sucks, better not pick monk". What Treantmonk was advocating for, which is a goal I agree with, is that players who like the flavor of monk shouldn't have to pay such a massive opportunity cost in terms of power level in order to do that.

Look, his YouTube channel is geared toward optimization -- that's the intended audience, and that's the reason the video exists. And it's there because the monk, uniquely among classes, simply can't be optimized to be even an average power-level character. And that sucks, because lots of people are attracted to the flavor. Why should they have to choose between the flavor they want and carrying their weight mechanically?

Remove ads