Monster classes

MerakSpielman

First Post
I mentioned once that I had no problems slapping class levels on monsters, intelligent or not, just to make them an interesting challange for the party.

You know, black puddings with levels of Monk, stirges with levels of rogue, things like that. I do this knowing that the creatures can't have gone to a monestary or learned how to pick locks, but to give them paticular abilities, like greater speed or sneak attack damage.

Then somebody made an interesting suggestion. Why use character classes, which have all kinds of baggage useless for typical monsters, when I could create classes specifically for the purpose of making non-sentient monsters tougher?

Now, in a world of templates and traditional "advanced" monsters, there might be little call for this. But I still thought it would be an interesting idea.

Here's an example, please let me know what you think. There would be other monster classes to fit various niches as well.

Monster Class: Hunter

Description: A monster with levels in this Monster Class has grown accustomed to feeding primarily on intelligent humanoid beings. As such, it has grown tougher and more wiley than most monsters of its species.

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills
The hunter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

BAB Progression: Average (as cleric)
Fort save progression: Good
Will save progression: Poor
Reflex save progression: Poor

Special abilities:
1st Favored Enemy
2nd Bonus Feat
3rd (gain feat)
4th (gain stat increase)
5th Natural AC bonus +2
6th (gain feat)
7th Bonus Feat
8th (stat increase)
9th (gain feat)
10th Natural AC bonus +4

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Hunter does not grant any weapon or armor proficiencies

Bonus Feat: The Hunter draws its bonus feats from the fighter bonus feat list with the exception of feats pertaining to weapons or armor, which are not allowed, unless they can be applied to natural weapons or armor (such as weapon focus).

(gain feat): Characters usually gain feats at these levels. Hunters use these feat slots primarily to increase the skills they use for hunting, such as Hide and Spot. Sometimes a Hunter will take the Track feat to better stalk its prey.

(stat increase): Usually applied to Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.

Favored Enemy: Typically an intelligent humanoid, this is the species that is the primary prey of the Hunter. It only gets one favored enemy, but its bonus towards that enemy increases to +2 at 5th and +3 at 10th level.

Natural Armor increase: The creature has survived so many fights with intelligent beings that its hide has grown thicker and tougher from the abuse it has endured.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
I certainly like the idea, though I feel I need to point out that the feat gains and stat increases are always based on total Hit Dice (class level and racial), and since monsters most likely already have racial hit dice, I'd drop them from the class descriptions.

For the bonus feats, I'd add the +2/+2 skill bonus feats to the mix, at least those that add to the Hunter's class skills.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I myself had thought of a Monster class as well. Something similar to what you have posted, but more geared toward advancing their abilities, stats and other features. Anyway, I like with what you have come up. I may actually use it.

Li Shenron

Legend
Not a bad idea. It's not anyway that far from the normal advancement by HD. The only difference here is Favored Enemy and bonus to Natural Armor. You can also make these into feats for monsters, or simply add them on the fly when you want (eventually taking a couple of feats away from the monster). I mean, your idea gives the DM the fun of having to write custom classes, but you can have the same result by slapping those abilities on the monster sheet directly :)

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Fantasy Flight's Monsters' Handbook did some of these, too. They were basically PrCs for monsters that did something very similar to what you're working with here.

Insight

Adventurer
Why not just give the monsters the abilities you want them to have and bump them a Hit Die or something? I don't see any reason why you have to strictly go along with the rules for player characters just because the SRD does. Heck, most DMs don't have enough time to nitpick NPCs and Monsters when they're creating adventures.

Note that I am promoting bending/breaking the rules in published adventures or official products, mind you, but for time-saving purposes in home games, etc.

Remove ads