D&D 5E Monster design: blood mage?

Quickleaf

Legend
How would you stat up a blood mage as a monster? Either using original ideas, adapted player homebrew material*, or existing monster traits?

*Note that all the player homebrew material for "blood mage" characters I've found has been really fiddly – dealing with hit dice, sorcery points, expending hit points for effects – and I don't think something that fiddly is well suited to a monster. The less work on the DM when running encounters the better!

More specifically, the monster is a yakfolk blood mage, looking for a final CR around 7-9. I have Storm King's Thunder so I'm using the yakfolk stats there as a basis.

[SBLOCK=Image]
nrhZkOO.png
[/SBLOCK]

I know that its blood magic gives it the following powers:
  • It can manipulate others, similar to the suggestion and dominate person spells. ✓
  • It can touch a creature's forehead and send them reeling away in confusion to either erupt in a bloody explosion (like the walking bomb spell of Dragon Age) or make them attack an ally (like the crown of madness D&D spell).
  • It has an aura of superstition and terrible majesty around it that makes it hard for creatures to act against it (esp. hard to betray it), kinda like sanctuary against assassins, and it can use this aura to compel weak-minded creatures to speak the truth.
  • It can warp creatures into monsters via rituals (e.g. one of these blood mages created the plague of marrashi), probably more of a plot point thing, but I'd like some reflection of that in the stats).

I'm open to other ideas too that feel suitably blood magicky.

Here's the work-in-progress stat block I have presently...

-------------

Yikaria Blood Mage
Large humanoid, neutral evil
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 90 (12d10+24)
Speed 30 ft.

STR 16 (+3) DEX 10 (+0) CON 15 (+2) INT 18 (+4) WIS 15 (+2) CHA 14 (+2)

Saving Throws Int +7, Wis +5, Cha +5
Skills Arcana +7, Deception +5, Perception +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages Common, Giant, Primordial, Yikaria
Challenge 7? (2,900 XP)

Life Siphon. When the yikaria reduces a creature to 0 hit points, the creature suffers disadvantage on any death saving throws and the yikaria can use its reaction to cast a spell it has prepared.

Possession (recharges after a short or long rest). See Storm King's Thunder.

Spellcasting. The yikaria is a 12th level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 15, +7 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following wizard spells prepared:
Cantrips: light, friends, mage hand, prestidigitation
1st level (4 slots): detect magic, identify, sleep, ?
2nd level (3 slots): crown of madness, hold person, suggestion
3rd level (3 slots): fear, feign death, vampiric touch
4th level (3 slots): confusion, dimension door, polymorph
5th level (2 slots): dominate person, dream
6th level (1 slot): magic jar

Sure-Footed. The yikaria has advantage on Strength and Dexterity saving throws against being knocked prone.

Use Magic Device. The yikaria ignores all class, race, and other requirements on the use of magic items.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The yikaria makes two melee attacks.

Glaive. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d10+3) slashing damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads