Monster Hunter International Plot Hooks Needed

chriton227

Explorer
I'm running a Monster Hunter International campaign for my group and unfortunately the well is starting to run dry for minor plot hooks. I've got a couple larger plots brewing, but I'm trying to go for a series of episodic smaller plots that the group can focus on while the larger plots slowly develop.

For anyone not familiar with the book series, it's a modern world where monsters are real but kept secret and under control by a combination of the efforts of independent bounty hunting groups (Monster Hunter International being the most significant) and the Monster Control Bureau (a shadowy Men In Black style government agency with questionable motives and methods). The Monster Control Bureau also administers the government bounty system that pays out on capture or destruction of various monster threats.

My players are a cell of a smaller bounty hunting company operating in Detroit. So far their exploits include:
  • Stopping a small group of demons in a local park that were accidentally summoned by some teenage girls trying a magic ritual to bring back their recently deceased pet dog
  • Tracking down a Jersey Devil that was being trained to attack marked targets, and in the process discovering that the trainers were also working on weaponizing the zombie virus (the siren mastermind behind it got away though)
  • Stopping a zombie outbreak at an illicit underground bum fight
  • Investigating the disappearance of all the residents of a small UP town and rescuing the residents from the cannibalistic humanoids and their vampire leader
  • Tracking down a street racer displaying skills far beyond human capabilities (an orc driving savant with his orc mechanic savant friend), a slammed '53 Cadillac Coupe shouldn't corner like it is on rails

They do have some open hooks floating, but they either pertain to the larger overarching plot or will be wrapped fairly soon.
  • A wealthy but previously unknown man has been appointed the new emergency manager. He has shown to be fascinated with an obscure Renaissance mystery play, and the group thinks he is far older than his apparent age.
  • Someone is making stuffed bears and secretly donating them to the police so that they will be given to children as comfort items in traumatic situations. The bears are then magically animating to protect the children from predators with lethal results.
  • One of the girlfriends at the street racing scene appears to have the identity of a woman who died 3 years previous, and her boyfriend seems unnaturally fixated on her
  • Both the siren from the Jersey Devil incident and the vampire from the missing townspeople incident escaped, and the group is worried that they may reappear with revenge on the agenda

Does anyone have any ideas for minor plot hooks or monster-of-the week type encounters I could use with them? Even red-herrings would be great, and anything that incorporates any of the local Detroit or Midwest folklore or urban legends would be fabulous.

Remove ads