• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manual 3 art gallery

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
I never thought I'd say this, but I think I have enough monster books. None of these illustrations grab me, and when I think of all the hundreds of creatures I have at my disposal in books I already own, that I think are cool but that I've never used, well, I won't waste money on this one, is all.

Gez

First Post
Re: Boz's worries for the sussurus:

[URL=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20040903a]Chris Perkins[/URL] said:
Finally, I think our take on the susurrus (an oft-forgotten first-edition Fiend Folio monster) will intrigue and delight a lot of fans; the artwork is also spectacular.

PS: Boo! They wrote Sussurus wrong!

Last edited:

Garnfellow

Explorer
Buttercup said:
I never thought I'd say this, but I think I have enough monster books. None of these illustrations grab me, and when I think of all the hundreds of creatures I have at my disposal in books I already own, that I think are cool but that I've never used, well, I won't waste money on this one, is all.

I think I've hit the same wall myself. And it sounds like WotC is already thinking about MM IV.

Personally, I'd rather see a monsterr book with just new templates, monstrous prestige classes and feats, and an index of new abilities to add on to existing monsters.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Buttercup said:

I pretty much feel the same way. When I looked at the list of monsters, I just went "ho hum" and continued on my way. I should have done that with the MMII because I just can't using most of the monsters in it. I'd be happier if they went with some smaller books of monster themes rather than a relatively random collection of PC slaughtering stats. Maybe themes like "Monsters of Mythic Africa" or something like that. Something I can build a more coherent background around.
Even though the art is reasonably cool, I just can't help saying "Meh."

Ulrick

First Post
The art is okay. But it doesn't convey any "substance" to the creatures. Its as if all the creatures represent is just another monster to kill. None of the pics make me say "ooo...that creature's scary."

Instead the pics get me to say, "Well, its a tough-looking monster, but if I take X feat + Y level and get Z spell, I could take it." The magic and wonder is gone... :(

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Ulrick said:
The art is okay. But it doesn't convey any "substance" to the creatures. Its as if all the creatures represent is just another monster to kill. None of the pics make me say "ooo...that creature's scary."

Did you see the same charnel hound that I did? Or the ultroloth? The MMIII has some of the scariest monster art in 3e, in my opinion.

Demiurge out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads