Thanks!I can't wait to give you some of my hard-earned money! Absolutely love your two previous books.
Also, I must say that adding the proficiency bonus is a godsent as it makes customizing and advancing creatures a doozy.
Nice! Would there be a possibility of a revised PoD versions of the first two if the changes are significant enough? I know their PoD rules are pretty strict, but I hope that this would be possible.If things work out well with MME3, that would be the plan. Not just layout edits, possibly new art as well.
It's possible, yes but I can't make any promises yet. If it does happen, the process will still take several months for each book. I'll make an update again about this by August at the earliest.Nice! Would there be a possibility of a revised PoD versions of the first two if the changes are significant enough? I know their PoD rules are pretty strict, but I hope that this would be possible.
Frankly the quality blows away the vast majority of 5e products I've seen. This is the first book in 5e I am purchasing on art alone....and I am a mechanics focused guy. That tells you something when I'm willing to purchase a book, without seeing any mechanics for the monsters whatsoever.The quality has been on par with much larger companies and I was wondering if you could share how you did it.
Hehe, I'll do my best to answer your questions but I hope you understand if I can't give specifics.@Nixlord , I've been really impressed with the art previews so far. The quality has been on par with much larger companies and I was wondering if you could share how you did it. I understand you may not want to reveal some or any of this and that is completely understandable. However, if your willing, I would love to know (in no particular order):
Originally, I gave myself a budget just for a good cover and a few interior art to be able to do stats of the creatures I wanted. It would have been like 20% commissioned and 80% stock art. But as I progressed and saw the first sets of commissioned art and the amazing cover, all of a sudden I felt "I think I should just go all the way on this because I think this is an opportunity I didn't want to miss, I might not be able to pull it off again" and so I did. I gave myself a budget (which was reasonable at the time). But I've gone over it many times now lol. But I didn't go that crazy. But if you asked me last year if I was willing to spend the amount I did, I would say no 'f-ckn hell!' lol.
- Art budget for the book
- Average cost of one piece of monster art
FB and Artstation then Email and Social Media.
- Where / how did you find the artist
I fully own the licenses of all commissioned art pieces. But there are a few art pieces that already existed in the artist's library that I bought the nonexclusive usage rights to.
- Who retains the rights to the image
There are five main artists. One's my best friend. Two reached out to me via email and FB. The remaining 2 I reached out to via email/social media. About 90% will be either original art or art that hasn't been seen in any D&D book. The remaining 10% is stock art from the amazing artists Dean Spencer and Forrest Imel (mostly NPCs). The remaining pieces (about 3 pieces) were WoTC stock art that were good enough (meaning not low res).
- How many different artists did you use
I did bulk orders so on average about I think about 10 characters a month.
- How long, on average, did it take an artist to complete a piece
I scoured Artstation and DeviantArt, FB artist group pages, and reached out to dozens of artists that fit my art style choice. Most declined due to busy schedules, while others were way above my budget per character. I still ended up making a deal with one but the budget was still above my allotted target. Good thing I had money saved up from my previous earnings (which I planned on using for vacation travel but covid happened) or this wouldn't have been possible.
- Anything else you want to share about the art acquisition process
Frankly the quality blows away the vast majority of 5e products I've seen. This is the first book in 5e I am purchasing on art alone....and I am a mechanics focused guy. That tells you something when I'm willing to purchase a book, without seeing any mechanics for the monsters whatsoever.
Literally if I don't like any of the monster mechanics, I will still use this book, because when I show my players a picture of the monster, this book will be what I show them.