Monster Mash: Atanatotatos vs. nerdytenor

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: apparently I'm being unclear; I think the beholder's eye ray aura does function while dazed, so nearby enemies are still subject to random eye ray attacks.

nerdytenor

First Post
OOC:
No, you were clear, it is my reading-comprehension which is lacking. Must be lack of sleep (something you are learning a lot about, I trust. :))

OK, eye rays coming up!

nerdytenor

First Post
OOC Uh oh, Ata went already - hopefully won't require too much retconning.

Here are the random eye attacks from last round - fire vs destrachan, tele vs troll, tele vs unicorn, fear vs spider:

ATTACKS DON'T INCLUDE THE PENALTIES, but do include +1 Worg bonus

First three attack rolls (forgot the last one for some reason)
Fire attack hits destrachan hits ref 26 for 12 damage
Telekenisis hits unicorn fort 31. Unicorn slides 4 west - looks like it changes nothing, though.
Telekenisis hits troll fort 22. Likely miss - don't move him anyhow.

Last attack roll (fear vs spider) -
Hits spider will 30.
Spider moves its speed away from Beholder, and takes -2 penalty to attack rolls (save ends)

Atanatotatos

First Post
ooc: not sure how the fear effect works. Is the save ends for the penalty to attack, or does the spider have to move away on it turn too? If not, I won't need to change anything, since the unicorn can still charge the spider ending in the same position, and the spider can still rech the worg and end move adjacent to the Unicorn. Anyway, here's the save: made.

covaithe

Explorer
Round 3, continued

The worg lashes out at the spider, but misses. (ooc: 5 poison damage, miss)

Round 4

The beholder zaps the troll and the unicorn. (ooc: both hits. No OAs on eye ray.)

The goblin finally manages to land a curse on the beholder. It is blinded!

The destrachan finds that the beholder, even blind, is still a threat, as a fiery ray very nearly burns it badly. Its fearsome howl rattles the worg's bones. (ooc: the beholder is still aware of its surroundings, so can make eye ray aura attacks. However, all enemies have total concealment. Between that -5 and the -2 for being in the cloud, it misses. Destrachan hits the worg. Ata, don't forget to roll to recharge bellowing blast.)

The troll easily ducks a telekinesis ray, but it cannot find the mark with its blade. (ooc: no regeneration since it took fire damage recently. TK ray misses, troll misses. Mark expires on beholder.)

The unicorn is struck by a force ray and pushed to the west. It waits.

The spider nearly evades the beholder's fear ray, but cannot quite escape it. It rushes to the southeast, then shakes off the effect and leaps back to attack the worg again. (ooc: I interpret the fear ray as saying that the spider takes its move action on its turn to move its speed directly away from the beholder, provoking an OA. It has the rest of its turn left to act freely. It can't get around to the unicorn's side, though. Death from above hits the worg; 13 damage and 5 ongoing poison and slowed.)

The unicorn circles wide and applies its horn to the spider, healing some of its wounds. It then furiously tramples the worg, leaving it close to death. (ooc: Hoof attack instead of a charge, since the spider wasn't able to get near. Still crits for 15 damage. Not exactly what you specified, but I think it's a reasonable adjustment given the situation. Especially since...)

The poison is too much for the worg. With a mournful howl, it collapses. (ooc: 5 poison damage brings the worg to 0 HP. It still has an OA pending on the spider.)

Initiative

Beholder 161/204, dazed (save ends), blinded (save ends) <== You're up
Goblin 86/86
Destrachan 92/92
Troll 45/70
Spider 83/95
Unicorn 4/85, bloodied
Worg dead

Active zones:
  • all enemies within 5 of the beholder at the start of their turns are subject to a random eye ray attack.
  • all allies within 2 of the unicorn gain +2 to defenses
  • vexing cloud: all enemies in the cloud take -2 to attacks; allies in the cloud gain concealment.

Resources used:
  • spider: Prodigious leap, 1 healing surge
  • goblin hexer: vexing cloud
  • destrachan: bellowing blast
  • Unicorn: horn touch

[sblock=map]
AtaNerdytenor007.png

[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
Bill the Beholder watches helplessly as Bob falls to the barbecue-prey.

"BOB!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!"

As he is preparing to attack, he is blinded.

"I can't see ya, but I can smell ya. And I WILL EATCHA!!! Provided I have the right kinda sauce, ya see..." Bill's blind eyes shoot flame out at his enemies. He misses the troll, but manages to dispatch the unicorn despite his blindness. "Well, ah'll be! I do believe ah've got me some BAR-BE-Q YOU-NEE-COOORN". Bill let's out a whoop, but is still in bad shape, blind despite his many eyes and a bit dizzy.

OOC:
ATTACKS DO NOT FIGURE IN AURA'S AND SUCH

Pre-death opportunity attack from Worg against spider
Hits AC 28 for 15 damage and 5 ongoing damage (save ends)

Action from Bill -
Twin ray misses troll, kills unicorn (factors in -5 from blindness)

Bill fails both saves. Doh.

Random eye ray attacks - 3 fear attacks vs troll, destrachan and spider
Misses troll and spider, hits destrachan will 24 (factors in -5 from blindness)- if hit, destrachan moves speed away and takes -2 to hit (save ends)

Atanatotatos

First Post
ooc:does the beholder automatically pinpoint enemies despite being blinded? I'll roll stealth checks in the meanwhile.

My mount! My precious MOUNT! BASTARD!! cries the goblin, and curses the beholder again.

[size=-2]blinding hex, wow, natural one;move 2 squares N, 1 E; sustain vexing cloud, move it 1 square N, 1 E. Stealth:17[/size]

The destrachan targets the Beholder with his sound wave again despite its sudden fear.

[size=-2]sound pulse 23 vs Ref, 11 dmg, recharge failed, save failed, stealth 31[/size]

The Troll roars, enraged, and his sword cuts, albeit only slightly, the beholder.

[size=-2]Greatsword 30 vs AC, 6 dmg and Beholder is marked, Stealth:12[/size]

The spider quickly reaches the many-eyed monster, but its mandibles cannot penetrate its thick hide.

[size=-2]death from above 22 vs AC, 16 dmg, Stealth 15(AA-45)[/size]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 4 pending bits

The worg misses the spider with its dying attack. (ooc: -2 for prone, another -2 for concealment, makes it miss by 1)

Round 5

Bill wails in grief and barbecues the unicorn.

(ooc: See PHB p.281 for targeting creatures while blind. Until this round, the creatures hadn't moved from the squares they were in before the beholder was blinded. I imagine that NT will prefer to attack targets that Bill knows the location of, but, Ata, you may want to sblock your movements until he's no longer blinded.)

The goblin misses and repositions, but noisily. (ooc: stealth fails, beholder knows direction but not exact position.)

The destrachan suddenly runs away. It looses a blast of sound back towards the beholder, but misses. (ooc: the stealth check succeeded, but it's ridiculous that the beholder didn't hear it when it used a thunder attack. So I'll say the beholder knows direction but not exact position.)

The troll's rapid constitution kicks in, healing some of the burns. It cuts the beholder, but its roar of triumph gives away its position. (ooc: regen 10. hit, beholder marked again. Stealth fails, beholder knows exact position)

This spider fails to bite through the beholder's tough hide. (ooc: stealth fails, beholder knows exact position)

Initiative

Beholder 155/204, dazed (save ends), blinded (save ends), marked by troll <== You're up
Goblin 86/86
Destrachan 92/92 -2 to attack rolls (save ends)
Troll 55/70
Spider 83/95
Unicorn dead
Worg dead

Active zones:
  • all enemies within 5 of the beholder at the start of their turns are subject to a random eye ray attack.
  • all allies within 2 of the unicorn gain +2 to defenses
  • vexing cloud: all enemies in the cloud take -2 to attacks; allies in the cloud gain concealment.

Resources used:
  • spider: Prodigious leap, 1 healing surge
  • goblin hexer: vexing cloud
  • destrachan: bellowing blast
  • Unicorn: horn touch

[sblock=map]
AtaNerdytenor008.png

[/sblock]

Last edited:

nerdytenor

First Post
"I can hear you! Don't you be moving now!" Bill, still blinded, sends rays of fire at the troll and the spider, managing to hit both! "HA HA". Bob manages to straighten himself up a bit, but still can't see.

OOC: (rolls include blindness penalty only)

Fire rays
Hits troll ref 31 for 17 damage.
CRITS spider for 24 damage.

Bill saves vs dazed, fails save vs blindness
Bill uses random attack fire vs troll, fear vs spider
Random eye ray attack rolls
Fire ray hits troll ref 27 for 10 damage.
Fear ray hits spider will 21 - if hit, moves his speed away from me (does this draw opp attack?) and gets -2 attack rolls (save ends)

Atanatotatos

First Post
ooc:wht did you pay IC to get those rolls? :heh:

The Destrachan advances quickly towards the Beholder, and releases a thundering burst that completely stuns the beholder.

[size=-2]recharge failed. move seven squares SW; Reverberate, 27 vs For, 19 dmg and Stun, thanks gods! I won't bother with the Stealth checks. save failed.[/size]

The goblin grins satisfied with the beast's attack, and continues to cast dire curses on the beholder.

[size=-2]minor:sustain vexing cloud; blinding hex:24 vs For, 11 dmg and Blind. [/size]

The Troll insists with his attack, unwavering. This time his blade almost severs one of the monster's eyestalks.

[size=-2]34 vs AC, 13 dmg, beholder is marked.[/size]

The spider too insists in its repetitive, but logorating, assault, but the beholder really seems to tough to chew.

[size=-2]death from above, 17 vs AC, 18 dmg[/size]

Remove ads