Monster Request Thread!!!

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Perhaps they should be given virtual size categories and be allowed to exceed their HD accordingly. We could state that all creatures with virtual size categories could exceed the HD limitations for their size.

This would rid us of many of the discrepancies between the Epic Bestiary and the Epic Level Handbook.

Essentially allowing things like the Sirrush to remain more powerful than normal creature by virtue of their virtual size categories.

paradox42

First Post
dante58701 said:
We could state that all creatures with virtual size categories could exceed the HD limitations for their size.
That is a very interesting idea. I wonder what the Neutronium Golem would look like if it had the HD of a... what, Giga-Gargantuan creature (+32 size categories right)? Maybe then it really would be CR 9721- or something even scarier- rather than having some numbers low enough to make UK second-guess its CR and go with that whole reduction system he came up with a while back. I may just go work this out.

Howdy adslahnit! :)

Adslahnit said:
So yes, unless U_K has changed the rules regarding size category dimensions, a spherical creature with a 6-foot-diameter would be Large size, a 12-foot-diameter sphere would be Huge size, etc. However, I don't exactly agree with this due to the rule conflicting with the approximate weight for size categories.

My apologies, I meant +1 size category slam damage for the sphere. But your research illustrates that perhaps it should be +2. Although I do believe you have a somewhat extreme example.

As for the 96 foot diameter cube I think, its base damage would be (according to your rules) Macro-Fine Slam, or Macro-Fine Crush if it crushes the opponent against a solid surface.

Hi dante mate! :)

dante58701 said:
Perhaps they should be given virtual size categories and be allowed to exceed their HD accordingly. We could state that all creatures with virtual size categories could exceed the HD limitations for their size.

This would rid us of many of the discrepancies between the Epic Bestiary and the Epic Level Handbook.

Essentially allowing things like the Sirrush to remain more powerful than normal creature by virtue of their virtual size categories.

Well you could do it in extreme cases but I don't think its something you want to get into a habit of.

I also don't think it should apply to Fey, Intelligent Undead, Outsiders or Constructs.

Upper_Krust said:
Howdy adslahnit! :)
My apologies, I meant +1 size category slam damage for the sphere. But your research illustrates that perhaps it should be +2. Although I do believe you have a somewhat extreme example.

As for the 96 foot diameter cube I think, its base damage would be (according to your rules) Macro-Fine Slam, or Macro-Fine Crush if it crushes the opponent against a solid surface.

So then, the 96-foot cube would be a Colossal creature with +1 VSCs (your rules) or +2 VSCs (my calculations), as opposed to a Titanic creature (your rules) or Macro-Fine creature (my calculations)?

Hey guys! :)

dante58701 said:
Quite true...so will you be incorporating it as an optional rule at some point?

I don't know, its quite an extreme example.

It might be better to work it out with different sized appendages.

Adslahnit said:
So then, the 96-foot cube would be a Colossal creature with +1 VSCs (your rules) or +2 VSCs (my calculations), as opposed to a Titanic creature (your rules) or Macro-Fine creature (my calculations)?

The difference being?

Upper_Krust said:
The difference being?

The difference being that VSCs confer only partial size category bonuses/penalties. A Colossal creature wouldn't gain the AC/attack penalty, grapple modifier, hide modifier, and carrying capacity modifier that a Titanic creature would have gained. In addition, the Colossal creature is susceptible to a wider range of attacks dependent on the target's size category (crush, stomp, swallow whole, trample, etc).

The rules in the Bestiary suggested that spheres/cubes get +1 size category (not just a VSC), but since you recommended a slam damage of Slam+1, it seems that you're suggesting that spheres and cubes receive +1 VSC instead. I'm leaning toward the VSC increase rather than the complete size category increase.

Also, one more question. In v5 of the Challenging Challenge Ratings PDF, you give the following base speeds (presumably for bipeds):

Fine = 5 ft.
Diminutive = 10 ft.
Tiny = 15 ft.
Small = 20 ft.
Medium = 30 ft.
Large = 40 ft.
Huge = 50 ft.
Gargantuan = 60 ft.
Colossal = 70 ft.

But in the Bestiary, you give the following base speeds for bipeds:

Fine = 5 ft.
Diminutive = 10 ft.
Tiny = 15 ft.
Small = 20 ft.
Medium = 30 ft.
Large = 40 ft.
Huge = 60 ft.
Gargantuan = 80 ft.
Colossal = 120 ft.

Which set of values is the more accurate one?

Edit: I just got a request to do a Malboro from Final Fantasy X. Here's a pic: http://www.ffcompendium.com/EspMon/marlboro10.jpg. And here are my calculations for its dimensions, determined by using the height comparison in FFX-2's built-in bestiary:

Total Height = 19 feet
Total Width = 37.5 feet
Total Depth = 33.5 feet

Head Height = 14 feet
Head Width = 15 feet
Head Depth = 13.5 feet

Neck Height = 1.5 feet
Neck Width = 10.5 feet
Neck Depth = 9 feet

Tentacles Height = 3.5 feet
Tentacles Width = 37.5 feet
Tentacles Depth = 33.5 feet

Maw Length = 13.5 feet
Maw Width = 5 feet

Head Volume = 1485 cubic feet (Ellipsoid)
Neck Volume = 111 cubic feet (Elliptical Cylinder)
Tentacle Volume = 329 cubic feet (Elliptical Cylinder, 987 / 3 to take space between tentacles into account)

Total Volume = 1925 cubic feet
Estimated Density = 75 pounds per cubic foot (fleshy/bony plant)
Estimated Mass = 144,375 pounds (72.1875 tons)

Does that sound right to you? It's a 72-ton creature, and by my HD-tonnage guidelines it should have about 27 HD (or 16-17 HD by the Bestiary's guidlines). However, it's only 19 feet tall, and 27 or 16-17 HD would make it a Gargantuan creature. Then again, the head is roughly spherical though. How much HD would you give it, U_K? And if it ends up having 27 or 16-17 HD, should I be also trying to give it a CR of 27 or 16-17 under v5 of the challenge rating PDF?

Last edited:

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Requesting Sandworms (Half-Fang Dragon, Tauric, Purple Worm/Tarrasque; Size: Colossal-Macro-Gargantuan), Elder Worms (Half-Fang Dragon, Macrobe, Tauric, Purple Worm/Tarrasque; Size: Macro-Colossal+), Wormfolk (Half-Fang Dragon, Tauric, Purple Worm/Tarrasque; Size: Medium-Gargantuan). =^.^=

Imagine the size of the spears these barbaric creatures would use!!!

It's gonna scare the bejeezuz out of my gamers. =^.^=

Last edited:

Remove ads