D&D 5E Monster Traits?

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
I'm trying to create new monsters, but I'm at a loss when it comes to the the monster traits. I'm trying to make a new Ooze creature, but I can't find what monsters of the Ooze type typically have for their abilities and immunities and such? Like, where do I begin?

Or is making monsters completely blank slates and you gotta make it all from scratch?

G

Guest 6801328

I usually look at others of that type and see what they have in common, or mostly in common.

If only there were an online tool that made this easier....

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
I usually look at others of that type and see what they have in common, or mostly in common.

If only there were an online tool that made this easier....

Well, from what I noticed, there's no set guidelines for what traits Oozes, Dragons, Magical Beasts, etc. will have. None that I can find anyway. So it looked like I had to do it from scratch.

It suggested to look at other monster abilities, and had a typical list in the DMG. Except, what I would love to see, is a consolidated list of every monster ability WotC has published in 5e. Wouldn't that make sense for monster creation, rather than trying to pour over several books to find the right monster ability to copy off of?

Just my musings at the moment.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
There's a free doc on DM's Guild where someone compiled a list of monster traits. Not sure how comprehensive it is, and it's not especially well formatted or anything, but might be useful to you:

aco175

Legend
I find it easier to steal traits from other monsters. The same type of monster makes more sense, but do not feel limited. Remember these are monsters and do not need to fill PCs rules. They can be as random as you like. I remember having a NPC mage be able to cast fireball at 3rd level and not 5th. It used all his slots for the day, but he could do it. The players complained, but I explained that NPCs do not follow PC rules.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I just look at similar creatures. If creating an ooze I'd look at oozes, especially to see what immunities and vulnerabilities, and senses they have. Just looking at the black pudding and grey ooze shows that they have condition immunities in common and both have blindsight 60 feet (blind beyond this radius). They also have the following trait: Amorphous. The ooze can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing. I'd say starting with these abilities is a good start.

noko

old hag of a DM
I'm trying to create new monsters, but I'm at a loss when it comes to the the monster traits. I'm trying to make a new Ooze creature, but I can't find what monsters of the Ooze type typically have for their abilities and immunities and such? Like, where do I begin?

Or is making monsters completely blank slates and you gotta make it all from scratch?
They are amorphous in shape and often are able to adhere to surfaces. Their outer surface are usually permiable and excrete some sort of slime. They have rudimentary senses, lacking lungs, mouths, ears and eyes. Thus they are immune to attacks that assault those senses. Most of them move and attack by extruding psuedopods which deal both bludgeoning and acid damage. You need to determine the monster's size and strength and what kind of challenge you want it to present.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
There's a free doc on DM's Guild where someone compiled a list of monster traits. Not sure how comprehensive it is, and it's not especially well formatted or anything, but might be useful to you:

Thank you, this is indeed helpful.

Remove ads