• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Monsters for 5e Basic rules

francisca

I got dice older than you.
So.....no monsters.

I'm planning on reading through the download, and if it seems okay, I'm going to run an adventure for some old friends at gencon.

Problem is: I need monsters.

There was the a preview a few days back with some monsters from the starter set, so I have that to go by. I was signed up for the playtest, but never really looked at them, so I have them. Do you guys have any feel for how close the monsters in the final playtest are to those in the Starter set and upcoming monster manual?

Thanks for your help.

Tormyr

Hero
So.....no monsters.

I'm planning on reading through the download, and if it seems okay, I'm going to run an adventure for some old friends at gencon.

Problem is: I need monsters.

There was the a preview a few days back with some monsters from the starter set, so I have that to go by. I was signed up for the playtest, but never really looked at them, so I have them. Do you guys have any feel for how close the monsters in the final playtest are to those in the Starter set and upcoming monster manual?

Thanks for your help.
The monsters are definitely a bit different. You can use monsters from the playtest (including the earlier edition adventure conversions), recent encounters documents, and the other 5e files on dndclassics.com, but the monsters from that will probably be a little on the easy side. Also, the two Dreams of the Red Wizards encounters season don't have experience points for balancing the encounter.

Xodis

First Post
Monsters are being introduced into the Basic set next month, the basic set will be getting frequent updates throughout its lifetime.

The starter set has enough monsters to begin with and from them a veteran DM can extrapolate others. Monsters should also be ready for download once the PHB launches.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be rolling my own to get an adventure ready for gencon. (I'm not spending any money on 5e until I play it a few times, then I'll decide.)

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Since there will be a basic rules update with the launch of the PHB (August 8) that should be in time to prep for GenCon.

Nebulous

Legend
The playtest packet had dozens and dozens of monsters, not sure though how much the fiddly bits will change, AC and damage and hp and such. Still, good place to start.

Remove ads